Why Are My Seedling's Stems Purple?

Most often the case is toxic build up. I wish I had known that before my roots started to shrivel up, then grew brown, very stick shit on them. Then leaves started to wilt and yellow. Tried to save them using the methods given by Jorge Cervantes, but no luck. Brown shit kepts spreading, got more sticky. Peroxide did not help. Had to destroy that little crop. But that is okay. Got a new one going in coco coir.

how long they been rooting and transplanted?

They've been rooting in the bubble cloner for 3 weeks and I transplanted them to soil 2 days ago. They started getting the discoloration while they were in the cloner. When I transplanted them I used bonemeal & super thrive and then gave them a light feed of bloom and grow with age old seaweed. Oh I figured they had a magnesium def so I threw some epsom salts on there. One of the clones cleared up but theres just these 2 left with this discoloration now. There both the same strain

IMG_0511_1_.JPG
IMG_0512_1_.JPG

i am not a master at soil infact i kno wonly the very basics, having mainly grown in coco. ive never experienced these symtoms before so i wont pretend to tell u what it is, but i think u may have added a bit much to compensate for the malnourished cutting. in future just pot the cutting in regular potting soil and it will come around unless the soil is too hot.

its normal to get discolouration in the cloner as the clone uses up its nutrient reserves to put energy into rooting. sometimes clones can look like they are on deaths door by the time they have rooted but will come around as soon as they get some food.

FF Grow Big 4ml, Rhino Skin 10ml, Hygrozyme 10ml, peroxide 10ml, CaMg+ 5ml. They are getting better since I transplanted them. Today they show improvement with new growth. I would like to know what I may had did wrong for future reference though. My Res is 3 gallons. The roots were about 2inches and about 4 cm in the water. Its like they do fine if the roots aren't touching the water but when they are in the Res they get screwed up.

Here's what they looked like when I took them out the Res.
IMG_0500_1_.JPG

yeah the problem u had is u put all that stuff in res. just water nothing else. zero nutes or additives. only thing i even consider adding would be h2o2 in a weak dose if i thought it was contaminated. i once went near 3months without changing the water in my 500site cloner, just topped it up occasionally. just make sure u have airstone in res to keep it oxygenated. obviously if u are going to grow it out in the cloner u would add nutes but only after roots well established. ph- is real bad for cuttings. those cuttings will come good though as they will continue to root in soil and remember if u do go aerocloner to soil u dont want real long roots anyway as they will be conditioned to hydro and die off and new root will grow. about the length u have is fine for soil. if transplanting to claypebbles the bigger the roots the better.

keep a clear gap between the stem and the water, as far as possible. they should be fine in water if air stone in, but u need a clear gap so some isnt immersed mate.

Purple is a beautiful color for plants to be. My BBCheese is somewhat purple in the stems. I grow corn and pole beans with lots of purple in them too. Delicious. White might be ok too if its in the genetics. If the plant looks healthy don't mess with it too much. Lemon Juice in de-chloroniated water to pH 6-5.7. Organic soil, like the Creator intended.

Purple stems are always magnesium uptake
Issues. In my experience. Several things can cause
Magnesium uptake issues, such as cold weather or room

First be sure it is not because it is cold.

If it is cold warm up the room or put a hearing pad under
The pot.

Use a little calmag about 100ppm or Epsom salts. I do 100 ppm of Epsom salts. I
Just check before adding and after with a TSS meter.

The room stays warm. The only time it cools down is when the lights r off but it stay around 72-75 at that time. They all getting the same stuff and 4 don't have that problem.

Back
Top Bottom