1st CFL Grow - Jamaican Strains - Dec 2012

JamaicaHerbs

before we start i just want to say thank you for taking the time to even view my post :)
This is my first indoor grow.ill be using CFL's because HPS systems are way to expensive in Jamaica.
Im an experienced outdoor grower but i am getting tired of a good harvest being ruined by rain.

next thing:
these next few lines of information give me hope that the CFL grow will work.

PAReff

Philips Advantage Fluorescent, 5000K: 1.44 PAReff

Philips High Pressure Sodium deluxe: 1.38 PAReff

Philips Dense-Line Emitter Metal Halide, 4100K: 1.38 PAReff

Much respect to Tulip for putting this information together:CFL Light Tutorial

organic compost mix.
Strain - White Ice[Indica] & 2 random Plants
26 watts cfl bulbs 6500k for Veg & 26 watts cfl bulbs 2700k for flowering.I Will Increase the amount of lighting as plants get bigger. not enough funds to get everything right now :phew:
2 litre pepsi bottles cut for containers. will transplant to larger pots as plants develop.
2 x 12v Fans for air circulation
no nutes given as yet.

Should be getting all my testing equipment shortly to give some numbers on temp,humidity,

so with the techical part lets get to Growing :thumb:

Day 1.Rigged up a cardboard just to get started,building the grow box soon.
Seeds have Been planted in organic potting soil and i even found some random ladies growing outside in the garden where we usually chill out and smoke,they look about 1 week old, so i decided to transplant them aswell .at the end of the day they showed no signs of stress .
donbpu.jpg

Day 4.The Young ladies have emerged & no signs of stress at all on the older ladies.
n1qnmw.jpg

Day8.So now i have a small grow box built and the Plants are doing well.
23r2t8x.jpg

2rr5p39.jpg

2jcmkm.jpg

Cya in a few days Smoke Good

ay man your gonna need to cover up ur containers before u get a big root system going. light is gonna hit the roots from the see thru plastic their in and it will green the roots and stress them big time!!! try wrapping some duct tape around the containers or something like that. and P.S. the seedling in the bottom picture and the others (to a lesser extent) are looking Nitrogen deficient. youl need to start a vegetative fertilizer soon, their a little young right now to start feeding but in the next 2 weeks theyl definitely be HUNGRY!! i suggest General Hydroponic's Rapid Start 1-0.5-1 i swear by the stuff!

Thanks for dropping by and giving some info KPC,planning to start feeding them next week,when they get a lil stronger.Also put in another CFL & wrapped the containers with the quickest thing i could find.
Also how early can one start to twist/pinch stems? i tried it on one of the weaker seedlings [1 week old],barely pinched the stem this morning, almost 12 hours later its still alive no signs of stress.
2hicwmq.jpg

hey i have a quick question, at what point are you going to transplant your plants?
I was planning to transplant and start feeding once they have about 4 set of true leaves[about another week].

I found some Shultz bloom plus 10-54-10 and some 20-20-20 laying around ,ill be using 20-20-20 for Veg state, planning on a 2 or 1.5 month Veg period,Feeding them every 3 days with normal watering in between feeds when soil gets a little dry.

found a few pics of 1 branch from my last outdoor harvest.In jamaica we call this strain White Ice..any one with experience in strains can tell me what this strain looks like to them in terms of name?

ice_22.JPG
White_Ice1.PNG

Did a test Transplant on one of the seedlings this morning . this is what the roots are looking like.
IMG_17327.jpg

nice outdoors to start with they look awesome :) How are you finding using cfls ? personnaly i could never adjust to them. I always found MH for veg worked best and hps son agro for flowering, I Recommend getting them set into pots as soon as possible,The earlier the plant can get settled into its home.. the smoother the journey. always remember less stress = more success :peace:

nice outdoors to start with they look awesome :) How are you finding using cfls ? personnaly i could never adjust to them. I always found MH for veg worked best and hps son agro for flowering, I Recommend getting them set into pots as soon as possible,The earlier the plant can get settled into its home.. the smoother the journey. always remember less stress = more success :peace:

CFls working good for me,good growth rate for veg so far with temps at a constant 81 , still no hygrometer yet :trance:
they are 16 days old now.
been away for a few days so gave them a bit of extra water before i left, seems that didnt work in my favor,the tips of the leaves began to turn yellow and kinda looks like it rotted, also plants lacking nitrogen so gonna start feeding them with 20-20-20 shortly,thinking about foiliar + root feeding them.

heres a few pics to show u leaf rot and my new 2 bulb mini reflector, works like a charm.

leaf rot
IMG_17347.jpg

IMG_17336.jpg
IMG_17357.jpg
IMG_17387.jpg

now heres the reflector.
IMG_17367.jpg
IMG_17374.jpg

So my over watering got the best of my plants..the roots turned blacked and so much damage was done do them i decided to start fresh.
Because im so used to growing outdoors i have to water plants often cuz the sun dries up that moisture quick.so now im watering them every 3-4 days instead of every 2 days.Also Got a 1 plant DWC in there too testing,but what caught my attention the most was a plant that grows three leaves instead of 2.even the first round leaves[Cotyledon of w.e the name is] came up as 3 leaves, very intresting id say. anyway heres a few pic of the new setup at day 7 from seedlings.
IMG_17394.jpg
IMG_17435.jpg
IMG_17425.jpg
IMG_17417.jpg

Neat stuff you got going mate, are you running just the two bulbs?
Wasn't able to tell by the way you wrote it earlier " 26 watt CFL bulbs" etc.

Anyways, I'll pull up a chair for this one:ganjamon:

thanks for stopping by peeps :)
To: lester - Thanks ,im using 2 x 26 watt cfls 6500k.

To:Dibs - Thanks brother!

Heres a few pics at Day 11 from sprouting.
My mini DWC coming along nicely roots starting to grow out.

DWC
IMG-20130113-01014.jpg
IMG-20130113-01013.jpg

Tri Leaf
IMG-20130113-01012.jpg

overview
IMG-20130113-01015.jpg

How are the babies coming along mate?

All Are coming along great except the DWC as i dont have a ph meter yet,Thier lights off at so later ill post some pics later.

Also moving to the country side on Saturday so i bought 10 x 36w t8 tubes , hopefully by sunday we have the new setup ready.

Also i saw some GIANT cfl today at the electric shop - the damn thing was almost the size of a basketball! 105w 400w equivalent.

Nice, you are doing 18/6? Or what are your hours for lighting during veg? I'm currently running 24/0.

Your new set-up sounds like it will be pretty killer.
Interesting observation about the CFL, I'm using pretty big ones also, two 55 watt CFL's, each one has a 200 watt equivalent.
Best of luck with the move!

Back
Top Bottom