First Grow in Over 15 Years!

redbullgrow

Greetings fellow growers,

I have started my first grow in over 15yrs. I'm using a 4x4 tent and Coco. This is my first attempt at using both an LED light and a hydroponic medium as all my previous grows years ago were in Soil using HID lights. All was going well for the first two weeks from germination to the start of the veg cycle. It wasn't until I decided to do a flush 1day ago to start the Canna A&B nutrients that signs have pointed south.

Seeds Planted and Nutrients being used.

3x Afghani (reg)
2x Critical (fem)
1x White Widow (fem)
1x Deep Cheese (fem)
1x Blue Kush (fem)
1x Strawberry Blue (fem)

Nutrients
Canna A&B
Rhizotonic
Cannazym
Magic Cal
Mykos
Azos
Einstein Neem Oil (bug prevention)
Canna Start (used from germination till day of flush)

Now I'm uncertain that this was a direct cause of the flush, or if it was due to a leaf drenching with an Einstein solution 3days ago (only for preventative measures), which might have burned the leafs under the light, or a combination of both the drench and flush. The nutrient mix used until last night (first watering after the flush) was 10ml Canna Start, 5ml Rhizotonic, 1ml Magic Cal per Gallon of RO Water, which gave me roughly 325ppm and would ph between 5.7 - 6.0 each watering. If there is anybody out there that can help steer this ship in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

RedBullGrow

After much research and a suggestion from a member over on the coco grow forum, going to be adding some epsom salt 0.5tsp / gal and upping the MagiCal to about 5ml / gal for a couple days to try and solve the Magnesium deficiency. Wondering if I should make a foliage feed in the mean time before its time for the next watering cycle?

You said you water every 2 days? Personally I would water at least everyday if not 2xs a day. When I would water 2xs I would throw in my base nutes and boosters and water again at night with sweeteners ( both with a cal-mag additive) I'm using botanacare stuff at the moment but I've found calimagic from general hydroponics workers best for me. On my grow I throw in a gal of water each pot every night when the lights come on. I'm sure you'll get them to pull through, and look forward to following your grow.

hey neon green,

yeah, been watering roughly every 24-48hrs based on a moisture test ala my previous soil experience, by way of a container lift. The coco medium I'm using is Tupur from Royal Gold, and it has what looks like to be somewhere between 30% - 50% Perlite mixed into it, hence waiting a bit longer between watering. during the lift test roughly 12hrs after watering, when angled to about 45 degrees water starts to drip / wick out of the drainage holes, not at an alarming rate but still there is plenty of moisture in the medium.

I've upped the MagiCal to 5ml/gal (half what the bottle recommends) and added some epsom salt as well. That was 24hrs ago so going to check them when I get the chance and see if i can repeat the watering.

The current Nutrient Strengths are as follows
Canna Coco A & B - 4ml/gal
Rhizotonic - 4ml/gal
Cannazym - 4ml/gal
MagiCal - 5ml/gal
Epsom Salt - 1/2tsp/gal

Crossing fingers i can figure out this new medium as its still in the early stages of the grow, topped at 3 nodes on 4/4.

-RBG

Really no need to do the lift test. You can water coco pretty much as much as you want, and at full strength with the nutes. I take full advantage of that. You say your using magical? From techniflora? I'm using there line at the moment and found the magical isn't a very good product. I've used cutting edge solutions cal-mag, techniflora, botanicare, humbolt county's own magnum ( 2nd best in my opinion),Epsom salt, and general hydroponics calimagic and I've found the calimagic is by far the best out. The others I've had to double the doses. Coco really is the easiest media to grow in in my opinion. Just follow the directions on the bottles and boom you have great quality meds better than the garbage you see at some dispensarys.

Even if there is perlite in the mix? Yup using the Techniflora MagiCal, was sold on it by someone at a bigger Hydro Store. Maybe they just needed to move product that wasn't selling to some sucker as myself. Bummer.

as for full strength nutes, I'm using an app called GrowBuddy to track the grow and it has a built in scheduler for the nutrients from various companies, including Canna, which im using. your suggesting to follow that regiment to the T? Its based on the equation from Canna themselves.

Your Personal - CANNA Grow Guide - Feed Schedule - Feeding Chart | CANNA

-RBG

Perlite is a drainage additive meaning it helps soil drain faster, adding it to coco would keep water moving through the soil so it didn't retain moisture. Coco does that VERY well. I think someone mentioned that coco when it's fully saturated with water still holds 30% o2 that's PLENTY. There are folks that use a 50/50 mix of coco and perlite with great success, not sure how they water though.
As far a nutrient strength goes I always lt the lady's tell me what they want but I don't think I've ever went any less than full strength however I could be wasting nutes, I'd rather have it there and them not need it than keep it in my bottle and them need it. Never felt with cana but I have heard good things about it, and mabe magical works better with their chemistry? I may try it on my next run (I'm trying to get to all the nuts company's since I've grown the same strains for about 2 years.) Just to really see who's got the best stuff. But simple answer yes I follow the instructions to a t if that's how they designed it that's pretty much how I use it sometimes I'll throw in more strain dependant of coarse. That's just my experience however and some growers may say different, but in the end it's all about your lady's and what you feel comfortable with.

Just a quick update. After about 2 weeks since the signs of problems, things are looking much better with adding more MagiCal, supplementing it with Epsom Salt, and watering everyday but with less intensity / runoff. The results are, all new growth is green and lush. If I have the time Ill try and snap off some photos during the next watering and post with more details.

-RBG

IMG_63684.JPG

Planning on lolly popping fully here in the next week. Ive also been slowly increasing the red spectrum on the light. By the end of Veg light should be at 100% across the board. During the transition week im going to start lowering the blue spectrum to best mimic my old growing techincs using.

In the mean time going to be tucking shoots into the empty squares of the Scrog

Last night was the night to lollipop the 6 remaining plants I have in the tent (2x Critical, Strawberry Blue, Blue Kush, White Widow, and Deep Cheese). Didn't go too nuts with it, but its definitely looking much more airy down there from the previous picture 3 days ago.

The screen is filling in nicely with only the outer most squares left to go. One thing I accidentally did was snap a branch in the process of bending it back beyond a square. From research it seams to be of the sort of break people do on purpose to strengthen them (Super Cropping?). Hope it recovers in the next couple days as its almost time to flip to 12/12.

-RBG

Here is the 1wk update post the 12/12 flip.

Seeing explosive growth, although the relative humidity has risen up quite a bit so added a 40pint/day dehumidifier and set it to 45%. Will log what happens over the next 24hrs.

Here are some new pictures.

Strawberry Blue side branch

White Widow side branch

First update in 24 days. Things are progressing as thought. Looks to be a bit crowded in there, and thinking next time 4 plants will be plenty in a 4x4 tent. The original 9 was a bit aggressive let alone the 6 that are in there now. Now that the stretch is done, atleast i hope it is, crossing fingers the flowers start to swell up in the next week or so. Otherwise my goal of about 1lb will be hard to reach.

-RBG

IMG_68139.JPG

As of last night three plants came down and are now in the drying chamber. Those three are Blue Kush, Deep Cheese, and White Widow. Unfortunately due to the extreme stretch of the Blue Kush and the yet to be chopped Strawberry Blue, both the Deep cheese and White Widow were dwarfed out and were extremely low yields. Might be lucky to get about 1oz from the two of them combined. The Blue Kush is looking like it will yield roughly north of 2oz.

The Heavy Hitter (aka Strawberry Blue) of the grow is still bulking up. The Critical isnt too shabby either. Both of these (2 Critical, 1 Strawberry Blue) are looking to hit an amazing 3-4oz a plant. All in all its hopefully looking like ill reap the rewards of a combined weight of roughly 1/2 to 3/4 lb out of this 4x4 tent when its all said n done.

Let stage 1 of the Dry / Cure stage begin. Stage 2 to come in about 2-3weeks.

This first run has come to a completion, and is now in the hands of a Cannabis Coop Dispensary. The final yields were as follows,

White Widow (1 plant) - 1/2oz
Deep Cheese (1 plant) - 1/2oz
Blue Kush (1 plant) - 2.5oz
Critical (2 plants) - 4oz
Strawberry Blue (1 plant) - 5.5oz

My goal of the 1lb grow was nearly met despite the dwarfing out of the White Widow and Deep Cheese plants by the monster Strawberry Blue. This next run I'm just going with 1 strain, some Clones I took of the Blue Kush. I would run the Strawberry but it just takes too much time to finish.

Until next time, thanks again for all the help.

-RBG

Back
Top Bottom