Oldmanjj's First Run, Soil

Let me please weigh in at this point regarding water.
I have seen many supersoil grows go bad by not paying attention to the quality of the water coming in. Tap water is a bad thing, unless you have a way of bringing in new fresh microbes regularly to the grow. Chlorine products are put in our tap water for a reason... to kill microbes, and while it would take swimming pool concentrations of chlorine to instantly kill all the microbes in your soil, over time, tap water can put a big hit on your microherd working away in that soil.

If you are not using RO in this grow, then I strongly recommend using a microbial inoculation product occasionally so as to bolster up the population, or you may get to a point mid grow where the organic feeding cycle stops. Well water of course is good too, since there is no microbe killing chlorine in it.
I use recharge at the in-between Geoflora top dress works for me

I will be going to the hydro store today to see if they carry the recharge.
@Mdlroad no nutrients for me on this run, I am going to see how the Michigan Mediums super soil trio works. The only reason I'm even considering the recharge is the potential for damaging Chloramines still in the water.

I will be going to the hydro store today to see if they carry the recharge.
@Mdlroad no nutrients for me on this run, I am going to see how the Michigan Mediums super soil trio works. The only reason I'm even considering the recharge is the potential for damaging Chloramines still in the water.
I hear all the grow bosses in Michigan use the tap water from Flint! Killer Budzzzzz.

NTH

Week 3 from transplant - maybe it's wrong but I am counting this as the veg time. As of today, they are entering their 4th week of veg. The blueberry is exerting her dominance and I may have to curtail her as the Mrs. is dead set on using a SCROG net. The purple kush (now the runt) is a temperamental girl and is growing slower than the others. The plan is to keep them in veg for another 3 weeks with the goal of filling up the space to 50% capacity at the canopy level before they flip. The Michigan mediums soil is showing no signs that it needs a boost or a re-charge (yet). We will see how that goes. I plan on cleaning up the bottom of the plants and adding some more veg mix to the top of the pots 1-2 weeks before flip to provide them what they need as they make the transition. Since the weather in Michigan today is not conducive to boating, we will do some topping today and maybe some LST to get more bud sites.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Ok, better late than never, it's time for an update. The girls have been coming along nicely and are showing no signs of any trouble......for the first part of the update anyway. These pics are from last weekend before the butcher of boat town topped and cut 16 clones from them:

This weekend I installed most of the structure for the scrog net. I left out some parts on purpose to make it easier to water. A couple more will be removed this week because the girls will be transplanted and flipped to flower. One of the girls has something funky going on on some of the leaf tips, I'm thinking it was due to the fan blasting on them as it's only on part of the plant. I will defer to a more expert analysis. This Friday marks 6 weeks in Veg.

On a side note, the clones are looking great. Since I have nowhere to put them, I'll make someone very happy when I send them off to a new home.

Hello fellow growers, it's time for an update in the big tent!

Last Tuesday the girls were trimmed again to prep for flower. We trimmed several days in advance of the flip so they had time to recover.

Last Thursday they were treated to an exhaust fan upgrade. I removed the 4 inch fan and carbon filter and replaced it with a 6 inch 3 speed version, this has helped a TON with the smell. The 4 inch fan was moved to the little tent currently housing my Auto flower experiment.

Friday the girls were transplanted into their final 10 gallon homes with Michigan Mediums Bloom mix. I pre-filled all the pots using a 5 gallon pot and it sure made transplanting easier. It was a good thing I did that because after the 2nd 10 gallon pot, I realized that we would run out of dirt so, off to the grow store I went. Once we were done transplanting, they got a nice drink of water.

Sunday we installed the lower SCROG netting and started some very basic weaving. We are going to do a little at a time to try and reduce stress on the girls (maybe unnecessary but it was also late and that was a factor too). I set the SCROG structure up to make it easier to add an additional layer if needed.

Here are the girls before and after the SCROG net.

Awesome set up and progress!! Plants are looking so strong and vibrant! Can’t wait for the next update! So how are you liking the Michigan soil? Plants look like they love it! I need to go back and check but you used a different type of Michigan soil for veg right? Then up potted and switched soil to Michigan bloom type soil. No nutes.

NTH

@Nine Toed Hippie You are correct, each stage of growth had a different Michigan Mediums mix. Start Mix, Veg Mix and finally Bloom Mix. I haven't added anything but plain water throughout the grow. Now that the girls are in their final home, I can do some price comparison. I am literally glued to @Emilya and her grow with fox Farms soil and GeoFlora nutrients. I know I can't compare yields with a grower as awesome as Emilya but maybe it will point me in another direction for the next grow when all the numbers come in. The soil is easy to work with but, it's rather expensive, almost 19.00 per bag. If it's less expensive to use FF + GeoFlora and the yields are on par or better, I will probably switch to the least expensive method.

OK, so now I have a few questions. Not sure but I may have been had by a little bro science. I'm hoping @Emilya (or anyone else) will be kind enough to help sort this out.

When the plants first entered veg, I had the lights at 40%, about half way though veg, the lights went to 60%. My plan was to take the lights to 80% around the 2nd to 3rd week of flower and 100% during the last two weeks. I have taken lux readings on a cheap (free) phone app and at canopy the lux is anywhere from 36k ish to 24k ish. Based on the light manufacturers recommendations, I am running C02 but not measuring PPM (They are just exhale bags for this run).

What do you you think? Is this similar to what you do? Thanks for your time!

Get a cheap $30 FC/LUX meter and it will do a pretty good job of measuring this light. The higher the CRI rating is on your lights, the more accurate this reading will be and then we can use some known numbers from the HID world to figure out where your lights are at. We know that clones and seedlings need between 5000-7000 LUX for optimum growth. We know that in Veg the plants can take a lot more light and depending on how big they are, 15k-50K LUX is appropriate for optimum growth. In flower we can hit them with even more light, and 45K-65K LUX will do just fine. Some plants can stand up to 75K LUX in flower, but you are in risky territory of bleaching up here, and generally anything over 85K would be lethal. I have never worried about co2, I just keep my airflow high and assume that there is plenty of co2 in the air.

From their documentation:

Full Spectrum

The specially deployed full spectrum fills the negligence of the main photoreceptors and pigments outside the 660nm and 450nm range, and it is suitable for reproduction to aging in indoor environments. The overall color temperature of FSM's full spectrum is controlled at 3000-3300K, which increases the radiant energy of red light at 660nm wavelength in white light. It provides a beautiful working environment and a more realistic color reproduction degree at a CRI level of 85.

This tells you that your spectrum is not quite the full spectrum they claim it is and your lux to par conversion would not be as efficient as my 90 CRI COBS... but close. I would have to look it up to be sure, but I can simply divide my LUX by 65 to get PAR... your divisor will be slightly higher.

Check out some of the first advertising of that product that hit various sales outlets. I didn't get that off of their site. They seem to have scrubbed that little gem after their marketing department found it. Full spectrum = CRI 100, yet that is what they call their light, and this gives me pause even though many of them do this very same thing. I am glad that it is working well for you, but deceptive advertising shies me away from a product every time. This is also one of the reasons that I support the sponsors of this forum, those companies who have no fear of examination by this community and who have been vetted by experts.

Back
Top Bottom