1 week into drying out buds: they don't look tight or compressed yet, normal?

GrowNMo

i am 10 days into drying out the bud hanging in closet. From the cola i get a nice aroma, yet the other buds have no aroma unless i press against the buds. Is that normal? Or what is your experience? I have also noticed the buds don't look tight and compressed after a cure is finished. Is that normal? Does it really take 3-5 weeks for the bud to dry? When should i go back to trim and move to the curing phase? Thanks.

What you describe sounds normal. The length of time for initial drying down to 65-70% depends on the Relative Humidity where you live. You should dry to the point where stems are bendy but don’t snap.

Get a small hygrometer that you can put in a mason jar, fill jar about halfway, close for a couple hours, and then check humidity in jar. If over 70%, dry more before curing. Curing stops below ~58% though, so get it in the jar and start burping it once it’s between 65 and 70%. If any ammonia smell at all - take out of the jar and dry further!

Good luck!

i am 10 days into drying out the bud hanging in closet. From the cola i get a nice aroma, yet the other buds have no aroma unless i press against the buds. Is that normal? Or what is your experience? I have also noticed the buds don't look tight and compressed after a cure is finished. Is that normal? Does it really take 3-5 weeks for the bud to dry? When should i go back to trim and move to the curing phase? Thanks.
3-5 days is more like it. If you are letting them dry 3-5 weeks they are going to be well beyond the curing phase.

Take a branch and hold it at each end and slowly bring your hands together. If the branch simply bends into a circle, it is too wet yet. If the branch suddenly snaps and bends, it is time to take all the buds off of the branch and put your product into paper bags for a couple of days until the RH gets down to 66 %. Then, move to the glass jar stage, and keep burping the jars a couple of times a day until you can get them steady at 64-65%. You are now in the curing range. Stay there as long as you can, burping once a day. When you reach 59% RH, the cure is done.

I suggest taking your crop to the paper bag stage right now and see what your RH is. It might not be too late.

What you describe sounds normal. The length of time for initial drying down to 65-70% depends on the Relative Humidity where you live. You should dry to the point where stems are bendy but don’t snap.

Get a small hygrometer that you can put in a mason jar, fill jar about halfway, close for a couple hours, and then check humidity in jar. If over 70%, dry more before curing. Curing stops below ~58% though, so get it in the jar and start burping it once it’s between 65 and 70%. If any ammonia smell at all - take out of the jar and dry further!

Good luck!
Thanks for your help!

6 days into curing. i have seen in the jars RH 65,66,64,62 and just recently it was 57% with the top off. it goes up in RH a couple of % in the jars with lids closed, i burb it for 2 or 3 hours or longer.
My other jar was a low of 56% with temperature of 77 degrees. it is starting to emit a nice aroma. Should i continue burping and keeping in jars until i notice it staying below 60% RH in jars? Thanks!

start reducing the time that you are burping. I work my my jars a couple of times a day. I will open them and watch the hygrometer until they go down below the cure range, and as soon as I see 59, I close them back up. Any jar that is stable in the curing range is only momentarily burped, and it is finished for that round, that day. A lot of times I will go several repetitions of this in a single sitting, taking the lids back off after they have risen above 66 and then relidding when I see 59. Back and forth from extreme to extreme, until the jars start stabilizing, as many hours in the day as I am willing to work with them.

Once they hit the top of the range, at 66, I realize that my meter is accurate to +- 3%. Not knowing the actual accuracy of my meter, I am not happy that I am actually in the curing range until I see 64 on the meter.

Once in the range of 59%-65%, the goal is to stay in the range as long as you can manage to do so. Boveda helps keep it there if you are so inclined, but the longer you can keep it in the range, the better the cure will be. So now you really don't want those jars to be open for very long at all, but you still do need to burp periodically just to get rid of the bad gasses. Early in the cure, you still want to momentarily burp once a day, but as you see your RH starting to slip, you can start burping once a week.

Back
Top Bottom