10 days in - Growth has slowed - No second set of leaves?

Malaka420

Hello this is my first post ever and I'm a noob to growing. I planted a few dozen seeds about 8-12 days ago inside jiffy pots and have had about 10-11 sprouts. Within just a few short days one plant in particular seemed extremely anxious to grow big and strong.

Anyways the problem I'm having is now the biggest sprout is 4-5 inches in height but has no signs of growing further, with no sign of the second set of leaves at all.

Here is a picture of my tallest plant (sorry for pure shit quality)
0420171329-00.jpg

Here's a quick rundown:

SOIL:
Premier Potting Soil (Blend of soil, peat moss and perlite)
Premier Potting Soil, 15-L | Canadian Tire

LIGHT:
I've been leaving them on various window sills during the day, often moving them to different areas where the sun is shining in. They are probably lacking in light but I'd say just a few hours of direct sunlight per day. I do not have any kind of grow lighting nor can I afford it.

NUTRIENTS:
I've added nothing.

WATER:
I'll spray it with a mist from a squirt bottle a couple times a day, as well as maybe once a day water it with a couple tablespoons worth of water. A few days back they were kind of "drooping" so I went and watered them and they sprang right back up, so since then I've been watering them once a day like above on top of the spraying.

PLAN:
To grow outdoors.

Is the size of the jiffy pot suffocating my plants, or is the lack of light the biggest issue? Should I transplant to larger pots? When is an ideal time to transplant to outdoors?

Thank you for your time

Hi FK -- I think you're going to need a lot more light for a successful grow. Your seedlings look like they have a classic case of stretching out as they try to get more light. If they don't get it and just get the odd few hours of light in the window, chance are they won't die, they just won't grow. For example, I have a Dwarf Low Flyer out on my deck that has only been getting the odd few hours of direct sun for the month it has been alive. The rest of the time it has been under overcast and rainy skies. At the same age at which some plants in this strain are a foot tall and starting to flower when given 18 hours of bright artificial light a day, this one is still just 2" tall. Take a look: Dwarf Low Flyer Fun Grow On My Deck In The Pacific Northwest
2017-04-18_Day_35_1200.JPG

1 month old, but still a baby without enough light

You can get compact fluorescent bulbs that screw into regular sockets pretty cheap just about anywhere. Those could help to save the day for now, but eventually you would need at least four 25-watt CFLs per plant. If you scrounge around, chances are you can find some lights and fixtures, but you need to do it soon.

One other thought: "Cannabis doesn't like wet feet" as one guy here put it. Be careful not to overwater so the roots don't drown and loose their ability to get oxygen. Let the top of the pots get dry between waterings. (And yeah, your plants are gonna outgrow those tiny Jiffys in a hurry.)

Take a look at some of the grow logs and tutorials out there and you'll learn what you need to know fast. But I think your first order of business is to get a lot more light for a lot longer to your seedlings.

Good luck!

PS: You can transplant outdoors as soon as danger of frost is past--at least your plants will probably survive then. The days are getting longer and warmer fast, so if you can find an (ideally) sunny, south-facing spot that gets lots of direct sun, you can transplant now. If you really absolutely cannot augment with artificial light, then getting them outdoors ASAP is probably your best bet.

Hello Scientific, thank you very much for the reply and advice. I shall endeavor to solve this lighting problem. Where I live we just had a big last-spring snowfall last week which melted in just a few short days. Within a week or two it should be safe outside from any future frosts, which I'll wait until to transplant then. In the meantime I'll follow your advice and get a temporary light measure going.

I'm a indoor grower but Yes that is 100% not gaining enough light never in my life have I seen a baby so tall so leggy
Personally I'd end it, I know that's not what you want to hear but I feel you'll have problems with the plant being weak. If wind touches her surely she'd just bend to the floor. I'm trying to think ahead for you not just the next 2 weeks.
Or buy a cheep cheep led light just to help her out and I'd mount it closer than usual but watch the temp. Use the back of your hand to check to see weather your to close that should satisfy her with a high concentration of light so she won't try growing up more filling out ?

The others in the back ground look fine a light would bring them on no end.
And on the upside the green in rich and there fine but yes you should have a good set of fan leaves at 5" tall.

Update: I went out and bought a 100watt (equivalent) CFL light, and its now on for huge chunks of the day about 4-5 inches from my tray of plants.
0422171755-00.jpg

Update: I went out and bought a 100watt (equivalent) CFL light, and its now on for huge chunks of the day about 4-5 inches from my tray of plants.

Cool. Get that light as close to your plants as you can. Do you know about the hand test? Put your hand where the plant is. As long as your hand only feels a little warm, you're OK. You want CFLs as close as possible, and if you rig some reflectors out of aluminum foil, you can improve the number of lumens a lot. And your babies need lumens! ;)

Ok. Problem one. Premier soil is horrible. When you transplant transplant into ProMix Vegetable and Herb. You're very lucky as you're Canadian and veg and herb from ProMix is hands down one of the best "no nutes till bloom" soils.
Problem two is your soil is too wet. Let it dry out before you water. Cannabis loves dry arid soil. Problem 3 is light. Light is the most important aspect of growing. Go to Home Depot and get a 4 pack of 60 watt equivalent Philips led bulbs. They must be Phillips they must be 5000k. Cost is about $6 CDN.
Do those 3 things and I guarantee you'll turn your Grow around.
Look for the bag with the big red tomato. .
420-magazine-mobile903880114.jpg

Back
Top Bottom