10th day: Quick question

Adamchuck

Hi Masters;)

hope you guys are doing well. I was wondering if you could rake a swift look on both of my Blueberry babies.
They are 10days old from hatching and I use the entire Dutch Pro nutrients.

My question is, when should I top ? I grow in a 2*2 with 4 Cree COBS ( 50W each ). Should I TOP once?

Thanks dear people.

Attachments

• 6462D5DC-0496-4DA9-9C54-2EB72C286148.jpeg
    6462D5DC-0496-4DA9-9C54-2EB72C286148.jpeg
    517.2 KB · Views: 47
  • CFEA72BD-9C91-4A23-963B-62B7DE2C3F8F.jpeg
    CFEA72BD-9C91-4A23-963B-62B7DE2C3F8F.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 40
You will definitely need to control the growth of your plants. In your tent, I suggest limiting the plants to eight colas each. I suggest NugBuckets Mainline or Manifold method for this.

I grow four plants in a 2' X 4' tent using NugBuckets Mainline or Manifold method. I train the plants so the colas are arranged like this:

full

Four Plants with Eight Colas Each in a 2' X 4' (60cm X 120cm) Tent

You may have a problem with the plants growing into your lights with a 5' or shorter tent. Keep an eye on your plants and flip when they fill about 1/3 of the available growing height.

You will definitely need to control the growth of your plants. In your tent, I suggest limiting the plants to eight colas each. I suggest NugBuckets Mainline or Manifold method for this.

I grow four plants in a 2' X 4' tent using NugBuckets Mainline or Manifold method. I train the plants so the colas are arranged like this:

full

Four Plants with Eight Colas Each in a 2' X 4' (60cm X 120cm) Tent

You may have a problem with the plants growing into your lights with a 5' or shorter tent. Keep an eye on your plants and flip when they fill about 1/3 of the available growing height.
Thanks for your detailed msg.

thats alot of light for a 2x2

Too much is better than not enough, if you can adjust the intensity. My DIY light will put out up to 66.25W / sq ft, and is adjustable. At one foot and full intensity it's brighter than the sun at high noon, even in the corners.

Do you think that might harm my babies? Here’s a pic taken now
I can dim them a bit, but I am not sure if that’s ok in terms of the spectrum of lights they’ll get

i dont think its too much, it is alot though for that small a space.

yeah the spectrum would be fine

i was actually thinking of buying a mars hydro ts-1000 but after seeing reviews about how hot it gets i think ill pass.
junk light.
buying another qb though for sure

QBs are an excellent choice. I don't know if they produce less heat, but they do radiate what heat they produce better as they generally have heat sinks. They appear to run cooler.

There are two heat sources in a grow light. The LEDs, and the power supplies. If these components are more efficient, the light produces less waste heat, and is more economical to use.

i dont think its too much, it is alot though for that small a space.

yeah the spectrum would be fine
I am aiming high. High yields, I hope.
Please see another pic I took right now. They are awake after a good 6 hour sleep.

Btw, would you go ahead and top now? If not, when would you suggest me to?
As far as I can see they seem happy

Attachments

• 9318755A-7B3E-489B-B0EE-95600183CE79.jpeg
    9318755A-7B3E-489B-B0EE-95600183CE79.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 925F672C-9C0F-4177-92C8-FD2196FB7FC1.jpeg
    925F672C-9C0F-4177-92C8-FD2196FB7FC1.jpeg
    517.2 KB · Views: 27
Looks healthy, that’s working on its third internode? Kind of hard to tell.

Have you ever topped before? It’s completely up to the grower. A lot of people determine different methods of doing things. It’s all a learning experience untill you figure out a good method for your self. Better question is, how many main colas are you aiming to have?

Looks healthy, that’s working on its third internode? Kind of hard to tell.

Have you ever topped before? It’s completely up to the grower. A lot of people determine different methods of doing things. It’s all a learning experience untill you figure out a good method for your self. Better question is, how many main colas are you aiming to have?
Hi :) thanks for taking the time to assist and share your experience. Appreciated!

I would like to control both of them and have not more than 9-11 colas. I will Scrog and lollipop these babies. This is my third cycle and it’s coming after a very long time, hence my insecurities. So to your question, I did top, but I firmly believe I didn’t utilize my set up to its maximum.

i am adding two photos in which you can see how many nodes. And hope you would share your intake based on my willing. ;)
Thanks again.

Attachments

• F016D671-D220-4F8E-A570-AC517138C20A.jpeg
    F016D671-D220-4F8E-A570-AC517138C20A.jpeg
    545.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 331ACA38-6F45-49BE-BEE7-653CD9FDA946.jpeg
    331ACA38-6F45-49BE-BEE7-653CD9FDA946.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 29
How much room of height do you have? You said you added two photos? So you’ll have three, or four plants in there? It could be really close to topping. Let’s see if anyone else has anything else to say.

I usually top on the fourth internode.

That’s what topping on the fourth internode may look like.

How much room of height do you have? You said you added two photos? So you’ll have three, or four plants in there? It could be really close to topping. Let’s see if anyone else has anything else to say.

I usually top on the fourth internode.

That’s what topping on the fourth internode may look like.
I have about 150’ centimeters to play with. The pictures I added are of the same girls. So I plan on filling my 2*2 with 2 plants.

You have topped it once? Amazingly attractive;)

thats gonna be tight space unless you scrog, trust me i have a 2.5 x 2.5 flower tent.

my next grow just doing a single huge scrog instead of two

its ENOUGH light, but it could be TOO MUCH.
my advice is buy a ppfd meter and know FOR FACT if your plants are getting too much light.

light burn/stress takes weeks to show symptoms, and when it does its too late to make up for the time you lost from stunted/burned growth

this plant got to this size under a 75 watt single cob

thats in a 2.5 x 2.5 tent

6763904A-9DFA-4B1C-9736-09288B4126EA.jpeg

it finished flower under a quantum board but once i got a light meter i realized how powerful my lights actually were.
not that its a bad thing, its just a complete crapshoot guessing how much ppfd you are giving the plant.

i have a link for a approximate ppfd calculator that is pretty good if you need it

I think as far as topping is concerned, it's best to wait until your plant has a well established root system so the plant can recover much quicker from the damage caused by topping. After you have a well established root system, you can top. I just topped mine after the fifth node. Now waiting for the plant to build up energy so the shoots take the lead.

You are at the right stage to start your training. Before starting you need to visualize what you want the plant to look like at harvest, and work towards that image. There are two parts to this, the number of colas you want, and where you want those colas. I've used NugBucket's Mainline/Manifold method to get eight main colas per plant, growing four of them in a 2' X 4' (60cm X 120cm) tent. The branches were trained so that the colas were on 6" (15cm) centers like this:

full

Cola Locations Four Plants in a 2' X 4' Space with Eight Colas Each

I start training by topping between the third and fourth nodes, and remove any branches coming from the first and second nodes. The branches from the third node are trained to grow on a slight upward angle straight out from the plant. I use square caged grow bags, so at transplant time I orient the plants properly for the grow. I also bury the plant to between the first and second nodes. This keeps the branches closer to the ground, and roots do grow out from the first nodes.

full

Colas Growing into Their Desired Locations

Back
Top Bottom