14 days into flower, humidity problem

gazmufc

Hey folks

So I flipped to 12/12 14 days ago. 4 photo plants. The mistake I've made is I didn't take enough leaves off pre flip, and now the last 10days they have exploded with leafs.
The humidity has shot up quite a bit, up to 80%, even when I set fan speed and extraction to their max setting of 10. So I bought the only dehumidifier that I cud afford. It extracts 1lt a day. But unfortunately its only bringing the humidity down to 73%..

My question if I brought the post leaf strip forward about a week, would the early stress be worth the trade off, off getting the humidity lower. Obviously if I remove a lot of the leafs the humidity will lower right?
I've juts always heard folks saying u want to wait to at least 20days post flip to do the leaf strip. I don't know, what would yous do in this case? It's gonna be a while before I can buy a more powerful dehumidifier. I've got one picked out that has a humidistat, but it's like 160e, that unfortunately I can't afford right now.

I got great advice here in the past and really appreciate any feedback. I didn't have the watering down. But got great advice here and since these plants have exploded with growth. So refreshing watching them flourish for the past 4 weeks, compared to the first 6 weeks, which the growth was really bad. Here is some pictures from 4 weeks ago, until day.

IMG_20221101_211249.jpg

This is 4 weeks ago!!
Hey folks

So I flipped to 12/12 14 days ago. 4 photo plants. The mistake I've made is I didn't take enough leaves off pre flip, and now the last 10days they have exploded with leafs.
The humidity has shot up quite a bit, up to 80%, even when I set fan speed and extraction to their max setting of 10. So I bought the only dehumidifier that I cud afford. It extracts 1lt a day. But unfortunately its only bringing the humidity down to 73%..

My question if I brought the post leaf strip forward about a week, would the early stress be worth the trade off, off getting the humidity lower. Obviously if I remove a lot of the leafs the humidity will lower right?
I've juts always heard folks saying u want to wait to at least 20days post flip to do the leaf strip. I don't know, what would yous do in this case? It's gonna be a while before I can buy a more powerful dehumidifier. I've got one picked out that has a humidistat, but it's like 160e, that unfortunately I can't afford right now.

I got great advice here in the past and really appreciate any feedback. I didn't have the watering down. But got great advice here and since these plants have exploded with growth. So refreshing watching them flourish for the past 4 weeks, compared to the first 6 weeks, which the growth was really bad. Here is some pictures from 4 weeks ago, until day.

IMG_20221101_211249.jpg

IMG_20221126_141837.jpg

Would yous agree that pistol development isn't great for 14 days?? If I get humidity down to about 60, I'm sure I wud see better right?

IMG_20221126_141742.jpg

IMG_20221126_141618.jpg

IMG_20221126_141742.jpg

The dehumidifier has made a difference, but just not enough, I've even added humidity packs and baking soda, but they not making a difference. I'm thinking if I got rid of 60% of the leaves this would help, but obviously it will introduce stress.. Which way to run!! 😀

Screenshot_20221126_145842_com.eternal.acinfinity.jpg

Hey @Azimuth got great advice from u last nte.. Look how my ladies bounced back since. What would u do in my situation now pal? Thanks in advance mate.. 👍

Hey gaz,

High humidity in late flower is a problem because it increases the possibility of mold and bud rot. Many growers like to do the final defoliating after stretch at about 21 days, definitely cleaning up the lower levels to let air circulate in and around the canopy.

But you have some time to fix this.

What's your extraction setup like? Are you venting your extraction fan outside of the room you're growing in or just out into the room? If just into the room, your intake is just cycling ever increasing humidity levels through the tent which your plants then increase and on you go.

So, let's start there. Describe your air flow from the source thru extract.

Hey gaz,

High humidity in late flower is a problem because it increases the possibility of mold and bud rot. Many growers like to do the final defoliating after stretch at about 21 days, definitely cleaning up the lower levels to let air circulate in and around the canopy.

But you have some time to fix this.

What's your extraction setup like? Are you venting your extraction fan outside of the room you're growing in or just out into the room? If just into the room, your intake is just cycling ever increasing humidity levels through the tent which your plants increase and on you go.

So, let's start there. Describe your air flow from the source thru extract.
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah unfortunately I live in a build up housing estate. I'm renting, so punching holes into the walls or ceilings is a no go unfortunately. I'm on 2nd floor, and my bedroom is north facing, so I only need to leave a small crack in my window and the prevailing winds always draw fresh air into my room. It's just a passive intake with small desktop fan blowing into the bottom intake, but I cud buy more ducting, and run it 2m around the back of my bed and have it fixed just under my window sill if need be. Would u recommend this? My window is only about 5ft from intake,

The extraction was just into the same room, I've just added more piping and now have it leading out of my bedroom into the landing hall way. It's dropped the humidity by 2%. I've now closed the tent doors to see what it's gonna do. So do u think I should do the strip now, or wait? Thanks.. 👍

IMG_20221126_154320.jpg

IMG_20221126_153106.jpg

heya friend,, please explain 'leaf stripping' ??? 😬

sounds ominous indeed

karma sent to the humidity issue,, a tuff one indeed,, and as @Azimuth mentioned,, is the extraction being vented to the outdoors?

btw,, the big pic of the plants has the plants looking wonderful. i see no issues there at all

if i might suggest i suggest you may be just a bit hasty there. the plants look great,, deep breaths and a doobie might just be the cure,, ha

Would yous agree that pistol development isn't great for 14 days?? If I get humidity down to about 60, I'm sure I wud see better right?
It can take 10 days or more after flip for the plant to start the flowering process, and different strains take different amounts of time to get in gear, so I wouldn't stress too much about your pistil development. Your plants look good and healthy so they'll do what they'll do.

heya friend,, please explain 'leaf stripping' ??? 😬

sounds ominous indeed

karma sent to the humidity issue,, a tuff one indeed,, and as @Azimuth mentioned,, is the extraction being vented to the outdoors?

btw,, the big pic of the plants has the plants looking wonderful. i see no issues there at all

if i might suggest i suggest you may be just a bit hasty there. the plants look great,, deep breaths and a doobie might just be the cure,, ha
Hahaha, sorry I should use the correct term. Post flower/stretch Defoliation . I was venting into the same room. I've since added extra piping and the air is now being vented into the upstairs landing area. It's actually dropped the humidity to 70% now. Vdp is 0.90..so getting closer to were I want it. At least I've read from a few sources u want Vdp at 1 - 1.2 Post flip. Yous folks don't seem to think it's to bad so that's defo put my mind at ease. Obviously I'm a beginner so yous will forgive me lol

This is only my 2nd grow, the first was a disaster, so really paranoid about this one. Experienced a lot of growers stress in the first 7 weeks of this grow wondering why they wernt growing well. Thanks for taking the time to comment, appreciate it... 👍

It can take 10 days or more after flip for the plant to start the flowering process, and different strains take different amounts of time to get in gear, so I wouldn't stress too much about your pistil development. Your plants look good and healthy so they'll do what they'll do.
Thanks man, yeah and humidity is now down to 69% with Vdp almost kicking the ass of 1.0..so it's a result, thanks again.. .👍 Its 14 days since I flipped to 12/12.. So I guess then day 20 would be the best time to clean them? Or is there other factors I should be taking into consideration?

Also, do you have a filter on that extract pipe? Those girls are going to get their smell on soon and venting into a hallway is going to be a problem. Another advantage of blowing it out the window. But even then, a carbon filter will help with stealth and good neighbor relations.

Thanks man, yeah and humidity is now down to 69% with Vdp almost kicking the ass of 1.0..so it's a result, thanks again.. .👍 Its 14 days since I flipped to 12/12.. So I guess then day 20 would be the best time to clean them? Or is there other factors I should be taking into consideration?
Yeah, day 20/21ish. No real precise way to tell that I'm aware of. Just don't want to do it too early or wait too long after, so that window seems to be a good standard to follow,

Yeah, day 20/21ish. No real precise way to tell that I'm aware of. Just don't want to do it too early or wait too long after, so that window seems to be a good standard to follow,
Oh god yeah I have the AC infinity fan system with carbon filter. Wayyy to many nosey people around me. Humidity has now dropped to 68%.. Had a read over that post u sent. Gonna get on of those fan fronts and run the outtake right to my window. At least using that I can leave it on the window sill, it being white should draw to much attention. Thanks again for the feedback... 👍

Back
Top Bottom