1st time grow - Would like a mentor

Well it kinda depends on money situation and to me it doesn't look like that is a huge problem. Does your grow shop buy/trade

Personally I don't add anything until I see some real fan leaves form or node 4-5 is reached this will let you know the raw power of what your about to make supercharged

I'm going to my local shop tomorrow to see if I can trade my 2 ballast for 1 dimmable one and will get a 400 w mh as well . I think I Will hold off on nutes for the next water or 2 . Also 4th node is now creeping up on 2 of the girls so I'm guessing now might be a good time to top them ?

I would wait if you look at the topping of jelly feet in my blog it's the 5th node when it starts to show node 6 at the to simply pluck that nub off when it starts to raise up above the 5th node.

One shit buds grow from 1-4 or even 5

I guess I could top them now but will take you're advice on node 5 or 6 . I think they will be due a transplant into the final 15 L pots in he next few days . Ive decided tomorrow I will switch my 2 300w cfl for 1 400w MH for more lumens

A decent led is out of my price range at the moment :( so I will have to opt for a mh and hps setup for now. My 600w of cfl are doing a good job I'm just worried they won't give my plant all it needs through veg

Well it's ok your off to a great start and yes this is only a small setback compared to what could go wrong. You seem like you have a good understanding of what your getting into. With any HID system you get a ballast with power cord and hood with mogul base and cord to ballast and a new bulb. Don't get screwed into buying old junk like a used bulb never ever do that. Bulb should last you 2-3grows before it's lost it's spectral range let's say 2.5 grows on the safer side 3 if you really wanna push it but really for the 10$ pending location it's better to replace! Be sure the ballast is electronic or dimmable typically they are 50,75,100% options

A decent led is out of my price range at the moment :( so I will have to opt for a mh and hps setup for now. My 600w of cfl are doing a good job I'm just worried they won't give my plant all it needs through veg

Personally, I think mh and hps are a wonderful and perfect choice. Led is great but I see. I benefit over hps and my. I use a 400 - well I have two now but I love that it's dimmable ballast and I can control my light. Sure heat is an issue but when is it not. Here is what I have learned- the guys and gals that have been doing this for years tend to know what works well more times than not. Sure there are better mouse traps but come on.. there is also overkill and to spend and extra $$$ just to have the newest seems silly to me.
Here is the thing- we take pills when we have too high bp instead of eating right and exercising- we take energy drinks or caffeine when we are tired instead of getting good rest - we process foods so much we have to add flavor and nutrition back in just to make it food again- all we have to do is leave shit alone and do what we were told by our grandparents. Eat well- enjoy dessert- eat good fat but also do so in moderation- exercise instead of rotting in front of the tv. Love instead of hate. Nature gives us what we need..we just need to leave well enough alone. These lights have been used forever for a reason. They work.

Unless you are a commercial grower and it would save you thousands on energy- listen to the old timers always before the new kids. Old timers know their shit!

You are doing great!

IMG_20170425_184433.jpg
IMG_20170425_184424.jpg
IMG_20170425_184418.jpg
IMG_20170425_184413.jpg
IMG_20170423_012018.jpg

Hey guys thank you again for the insight and knowledge. So here's the update ,I managed to take back my cheap ballasts and bought a new Hacienda digital ballast with dimmable options from 200w 400w 600w and super lumens . I've also been persuaded by my seller to stay with my 600w of cfl through veg because the dont make them stretch to much and give a bushier grow ? I'm still in 2 minds whether to stay with cfl or go with mh. I'll see how they grow over the next 2 weeks . So today ive transplanted the girls into there final 15l homes and are keeping them under 300w of cfl to give them a rest in case of shock . Exciting times :)

MH for veg and HPS for flowering I wouldn't go any other way did em all led and all and nothing has results like MH for veg and HPS for flowering, again nothing In my experience comes close

Hey guys thank you again for the insight and knowledge. So here's the update ,I managed to take back my cheap ballasts and bought a new Hacienda digital ballast with dimmable options from 200w 400w 600w and super lumens . I've also been persuaded by my seller to stay with my 600w of cfl through veg because the dont make them stretch to much and give a bushier grow ? I'm still in 2 minds whether to stay with cfl or go with mh. I'll see how they grow over the next 2 weeks . So today ive transplanted the girls into there final 15l homes and are keeping them under 300w of cfl to give them a rest in case of shock . Exciting times :)

All is well things look good so long as you didn't damage any roots during upsizing I would have added some rooting hormone in the hole but it will be just fine. You do want your node spacing tight and uniform not longer than 2 inches between nodes unless your a sativa in witch 4 inches would be a "stretching"
I'd raise the lights up the give them room to grow into the light looks like your using the force to push it back in on its self you could consider this HIGH STRESS TRAINING because it can really hurt if not don't correctly. Looks like your first 4 nodes have made it. Usually my first 4 shoots get removed once it's out of the seedling stage as I'd call it these maybe weeks old but they are still young ins wanna say my veg was started by seed in Jan and I consider growth after the first for nodes vegetative so I've been in veg for about 3 months now getting everything topped and fim'd to practice manifolding next grow round.

I think ill go with everyone's advice here and get a Mh tomorrow as research proves better results . I'm not sure why my seller is hell bent on cfls . I like how you guys break things down it makes is much sense :) When I transplanted 2 of the smaller pots the soil was very dry and crumbly but have now been watered and seem OK . I'll keep the 300w on tonight and will turn on the other 300w for a few hours in the morning

Regarding topping I've been advised by my seller to avoid this as it could damage my main cola ??? I'm going ahead and will top 2 girls and leave the other 2 to see what happens

Regarding topping I've been advised by my seller to avoid this as it could damage my main cola ??? I'm going ahead and will top 2 girls and leave the other 2 to see what happens

In my opinion (and I'm going to gamble and say a lot of others as well) you will never damage the main cola if you're topping during the veg phase. Never. Even if you mess up cutting the top you'll end up "FIMing". Topping gives you 2, FIMing can give you up to 4.

FIMMing_Vs_Topping1.jpg

The only side effect of messing up while topping... is the possibility of 4 colas from the FIM

I just had an epiphany. I should start a nutrient regimen as well as soil amendments to give it everything it's got. I'd like to go with advanced. I read they are some one the most scientifically advanced nutrients in the world.

I didn't think of rooting hormone either but will have to ride that out this time . That picture of the topping explained a lot thank you . I guess topping is a must for a decent yield so will definitely go ahead with that on node 5 or 6 . I did look at advanced but didn't like the price so went wit remo

Back
Top Bottom