1st Time Using a Greenhouse and seeds concerns

akrazyrunner

Hi Everyone,
I bought a Jiffy Greenhouse at Home Depot the other day
How Does Your Garden Grow? : Jiffy Professional Greenhouse Kit - Jiffy Professional Greenhouse Kit - Epinions.com
and my plan is to load it up with as many seeds as I can (72 or so) as I think all of my seeds are too old, but for $12.00 what can you loose (the answer is $12.00).

Background
Anyway I plan to grow with compact fluorescents in my shed that I have now heated and have a small plant started in my aerogarden. I ended up ihaving three seeds start in the aerogarden, but two died (while I was away for the holiday) and the third is just starting and going seven seeds at a time was getting to be a pain anfter a few failures. I have also tried a few seeds with the paper towel method and some others in the cup of water with nothing to show for it which led me to buy the greenhouse. I have grown in my shed before, but not in the winter previously.

Enough of the background; the specific questions with a greenhouse.
I read the instructions and they are vague. It states "keep in a warm location away from direct sunlight." There is no mention of starting them in the dark. Should I start them off in the dark or on a 16/8 light schedule?
How often do you think I will need to add water in the first week or so?
I am about to start and I am also a bit confused about placing the seeds in and whether to cover them up completely or what to do there so any input would as always be appreciated

and as always thanks

the aerogarden plant started showing lady-like signs a week or so ago, one more started a few days ago and one more yesterday, one is looking male-ish :(

I prefer the wet towel method. I put my seeds in a damp paper towel n then in a sandwich baggy, which i place under a heater pad SET ON LOW.
Check it for a few days you should see a little root come out of the shells. I wait till its about 1/4'' long then i plant it with the root facing down and barely covering the seed. In two days or so you should see the leavs coming up with or without the seed casing still covering it. This is when i start my 16/8 light schedual. If you have vents on the plastic lid, use them once you see real leaves appear.
PS giving the lil ones some CO2 by breathing in the greenhouse is good too.
Post pix so we can see how they are looking pls

transplanted four clones into soil and cut four more (not too hopeful on three of them) also moved the ig plant out of the warmer area with two lights of its own and found an albino bud growing in the green house. I moved it into the clone area still in its pod

A lot of the clones are now planted, the albino seed is still going and is green, but needs to be transplanted. Killed the heaters about a week ago and removed the plants from under the table and have the lights set from 9 - 9 as the big plant I moved out seemed to be OK with that move

I haven't taken any pictures yet because I am a bit afraid of the attention the flash might bring. Not as much a concern now as it was in February. I plan on a full journal when I harvest, but for now have been using this thread to date my changes.

About to plant a whole new crop of seeds on a 12/12 schedule. I just backed some of the buds from the aerogarden in the toaster oven and had my first hit. Premature, but yummy all the same

Back
Top Bottom