2 for one

Savvage61

I really do try to find the answer before I ask and because I didn't find it doesn't mean it isn't here somewhere

1 im about 1 week into flower (auto) pistils are growing out so I start using Cal mag Im not having problems but everything I read says they help plant health (soil is my medium) Im using 5 mil per gal like recommend should I do this every day or when feed. Like I said i am having no problems I just want healthier plants

2 I know most people swear by growing bags. I used 5 gal grow bags this time and I was not real impressed it seemed to make the soil settle quicker, the bag made LST a little harder you had to watch that you pulled the limb down not pull the bag in , there were benefits the fact of it being hard to over water saved my butty a couple. everybody has their opinion and prefers different things it doesn't make it wrong or right. it produces good buds or not. But I found these and I am considering trying these on my next grow but I can find a review or opinion anywhere
could I get some opinions on these? the thought of a big wad root growing out the bottom of the bucket worries me
please excuse typos im cooking dinner and the family is hungry

Hey Savvage61,

Fabric bags allow the grow media to dry out faster than hard side containers. With fabric containers what’s really happening is light pruning as opposed to air pruning. Weed roots do not like exposure to light so in fabric bags the outer edges do not get root-bound as hard side containers. For most soil types (excluding LOS) having faster wet dry cycles translates to more rapid root building and therefore better growth

The containers you linked up are very nice tho….

welcome aboard!

Those pots you linked to are pretty interesting...I do share your concern about the roots, though.
Might be worth trying one to find out first hand how the roots handle it- they're affordable enough...
Welcome to 420, Savvage61!:welcome:

Personally I wouldn't use those containers because the tap root would hit it way too fast. I guess maybe it would be great for clones? I would also worry about the moist dark space with no real air flow, how much actual oxygen can it supply?

Personally I wouldn't use those containers because the tap root would hit it way too fast. I guess maybe it would be great for clones? I would also worry about the moist dark space with no real air flow, how much actual oxygen can it supply?
I am going to take a stab at it. The problem with taller growing plants in a container is that when the tap root, and the feeder roots near the end of the tap root, hits the bottom it starts to circle. Then when the plant is transplanted to the ground or to the next larger sized container the tap root continues to grow horizontal instead of turning down.

When using these pots when the tap root and the other downward growing feeder roots hit that peak in the bottom they spread out forming a cone. When, or if, the plant is transplanted to a larger container or into the field those roots would attempt to grow down more often than spreading out to the sides.

I have come across web sites on the design work that goes into the development of landscape and nursery pots. One time I found an article where a company experimented for several decades with the traditional flat bottomed pot and found that trees and large shrubs tended to blow over in wind storms the larger they got. When examining the roots they found that no matter how large of a pot the tree or shrub was grown in the main roots and the tap roots never went much further down than they were at the time of the final planting. They started to work with the pot design to eliminate this problem.

Something to think about. We grow something from seed to harvest that takes 12 to 16 weeks for the most part. These container designers are running grows that are now 40 or 50 years old and still not done.

I reached out to the company that makes the gro pro warrior and here is thier response

s9Jp487RnDwQaIvJxGGFcPMLKqAaw&usqp=CAU&ec=45707745.png

Good afternoon, you won't have any roots hanging from your pots if water management is correctly handled- roots on fast growing annuals are very fragile, and the point of the ventilated cone in Warrior pots, as well as the drain holes will implement air pruning.

Air pruning is the intended result of using pots like this, and the same mechanism in fabric pots that catches roots and forces them back into the container.

Air pruning severs growth at the root tip as it dries out in contact with air, forcing branching, and corrective growth of the roots back into the pot, resulting in a more robust root mass overall.

Unless plants are left to sit in their waste water for some reason, roots will not grow past the moist substrate they are being cultivated in.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom