Is this enough for a good grow?

GigaGrew

Hi guys, my grow 2 is almost complete and im contemplating grow 3.

Im not looking for Monster buds on steroids, just a simple grow i can take it easy on.

This is what i plan to use for my grow.

Potato Sacks - Cropping, Storing & Harvesting - Thompson & Morgan
These make great pots, does the same job as air pots imho.

Westland Multi-Purpose Compost 50L - Gardening & Maintenance -Gardens - Wickes
This is the soil i used for both my previous grows and i will be using it again.

These are what i have availible for nutes, if someone could tell me if im missing any essential nutrients that would be great...
also, any help designing a feed schedule using these items would be even better =D

Baby Bio Herb Food 175ml
(5-5-5)

Vitax VTX5SW500 Organic Liquid Seaweed 500ml - Vitax available at Toolbox

Natural Molasses Pure Cane | Holland and Barrett

i also have perlite and PH down. my soil always seems to stay at 7 (ive once put too much PH down in and effected my plants, but the soil still said 7) so im thinking of adding some sawdust just to try and get it to 6.5

some words of experience would go down well about now. =)

(need a veg schedule and a flower schedule, wont be doing auto flower again)

Re: Is this enough for a good grow.?

Hi there friend :).

One thing bout your soils PH if you are using those stick in the dirt meters you need to leave them in for a good 10 mins or more for them to dial in. I personally say just put them in the soil and come back in a hour. Otherwise they will always read 7 ph.

Now when it comes to nutes I am no pro. But I have done quite a bit of researching lately and based off that and my personal experience you want more nitrogen during veg. The 5-5-5 wont have enough nitrogen. Perhaps you should include some blood meal or fish fertalizer.

As for during budding I see a lot of mixed info about the P and the K. Everyone agrees you want low nitrogen in budding flowering time. But I see some say you want way more P then K other times I read more K then P. So the only thing for certain is you want P and K for flowering but not really much or any N.

Hi there friend :).

One thing bout your soils PH if you are using those stick in the dirt meters you need to leave them in for a good 10 mins or more for them to dial in. I personally say just put them in the soil and come back in a hour. Otherwise they will always read 7 ph.

Now when it comes to nutes I am no pro. But I have done quite a bit of researching lately and based off that and my personal experience you want more nitrogen during veg. The 5-5-5 wont have enough nitrogen. Perhaps you should include some blood meal or fish fertalizer.

As for during budding I see a lot of mixed info about the P and the K. Everyone agrees you want low nitrogen in budding flowering time. But I see some say you want way more P then K other times I read more K then P. So the only thing for certain is you want P and K for flowering but not really much or any N.

Liquid seaweed, according to its wikipedia contains the following ratio
(0.3% N, 0.1% P, 1.0% K, plus a full range of trace elements)
Which equates to 3-1-10

the molasses im using seems to contain ?-1-8

and the 5-5-5 i can just dilute to 1-1-1 (on scale with the others in the mix).

so i believe if i combine them in appropriate proportions i will get something like 1.3-1-6.3

so for veg (3-1-2) im short by 8.5-2-0 to correct the ratio

Flowering (1-1-2) i will need to add 1.5-2-0

and for late flowering (0-1-2) 0-9-14 (i wont be able to have zero N, but thats fine as ill startve them the last 2 weeks)

Its sems my current grow (in late flower) is desperatly short of P...ill have to fix that right away.

Yeah I current (and have been very happy with) use fish emulsion (5,1,1), some organic mix with things that you add to the soil with things liek worm castings blood meal, bone meal and other stuff thats 5,3,3. Then I was using a small bit of (but will probably quit altogether) some 9,12,12 pellets that I have for my tomatos.

The fish stuff and the other meal/poop mix really seem to work incredible. The plants have a rich green color and grow like well... weeds. The main problem I have with both is... well they freaking stink! So I might start looking for other options. But I gotta say both of them for veg worked real good and I got them for pretty cheap. At least when compared to those big hydroponics companies stuff like foxfarms and whatnot.

Oh I also toss in B1 with most of my waterings. As far as I know it cant do anything to harm the plants but it does boost their roots to incredible levels. Plus I was able to get a huge gallon of the stuff for 5 bucks at home depot.

Oh also what does a mollasses usually have for nutes? I've heard other people mention it too. What is it for exactly? Does it sweeten the taste of the buds? :D.

I still remember some bud I got when I was a lil kid. Got like 2 big bags of the stuff and they called it Blueberry. Well I will be damned if it didnt seriously smell like a freaking fresh baked pie. It was so pungent in smell with a sweet fruit like aroma that your mouth would literally salivate thinking you where about to eat.

I wonder if molasses did that. Heck I wonder if doing things like pouring some strawberry puree or fruit juice in your water would do that. Iono what the heck made it smell like that cause although ive seen many a stanky danky weed, I have never since smelled one that smelled like fresh baked pie. I wonder...

Oh also I think (but am not 100%) that you would have WAY more K then is ideal for vegging. I do not know what negative effects (if any) that will have. Perhaps one of the pros can chime in to inform us nooblets.

Liquid seaweed, according to its wikipedia contains the following ratio
(0.3% N, 0.1% P, 1.0% K, plus a full range of trace elements)
Which equates to 3-1-10

Your NPK value of sea weed juice is wrong... & should still remain as stated N 0.3, P 0.1, K 1

You just can not use .1 of % to make a whole unit.

Apart from that all looks interesting, i would wash the potato sacks to remove any chemicals left in the hesin fibre which may leach into soil once moisture etc is added & do bad things... to the girls.

Just my 2 cents.... I would take a look around here at 420 mag and read some of the "High Brix" growing methods going on here. I currently am working with this method and have very very healthy plants. It all has to do with making compost teas, mineralizing your soil with things like (calcium carbonate, soft rock phosphorus, gypsum in a 6-5-3 ratio) along with adding things such as azamite, glacial rock dust, greensand or lava sand. It is definitely worth the read, and even better yet to try... taking organic/natural growing to a new High :)

Thanks for the reply guys.

The high brix method is definatly something i intend to look into later, it does look good, if a few too many trips to a garden center for supplies.

Your NPK value of sea weed juice is wrong... & should still remain as stated N 0.3, P 0.1, K 1

The ratio between nutrients is indeed (if not considering the trace compounds) 3-1-10....if 1 drop provided 0.3, 0.1, 1.0 the ratio(compared with itself) is the same as a bottle of 3-1-10 but is 1 tenth of the strength of a normal 3-1-10.

Jimmycricket, molasses is full of a huge range of vitamins and minerals and carbohydrates and is similar to liquid seaweed for the benefits it provides. i got both to assist in a possible micro nutrient deficiency, but will be using it for the life of my next grow.

Can anyone suggest a good P liquid fert? i spent hours looking yesterday with little success =/ i need something i can grab from a local garden center urgently for the last few weeks of nutes for my current grow.

Yeah I did a bit of reading on molasses over the past hour.

Seems like its more for budding stage. Supposedly it helps buds get more dense, hard, and many said adds to the flavor. Many also said do not go crazy or your soil will become a gnat heaven from being too sweet.

As for veg I havent found any info on it one way or the other. Could you point me to some reading material that discusses molasses for vegging?

Oh another thing I think we both could use a bit of and it would be a great thing. Get some superthrive, just use a drop or two though and dont get crazy :D

Can anyone suggest a good P liquid fert? i spent hours looking yesterday with little success =/ i need something i can grab from a local garden center urgently for the last few weeks of nutes for my current grow.

I picked up a hydrolyzed fish by bonide which is a 2-4-0 ratio and so far I like it a lot, the only issue is even with it being "de-odorized" it still smells horrible. Earthjuice is also pretty good IMO, I also use it about every 3rd feeding and the bloom is a 0-3-1 I believe.

I picked up a hydrolyzed fish by bonide which is a 2-4-0 ratio and so far I like it a lot, the only issue is even with it being "de-odorized" it still smells horrible. Earthjuice is also pretty good IMO, I also use it about every 3rd feeding and the bloom is a 0-3-1 I believe.

nice! 0-3-1 is looking really good from this point of view...in my current grow im coming to the point i want zero N. found some bonemeal. its a bit late in the grow for it to be all that effective as a slow release so i have boiled my tap water (de chlorinates much faster than standing) with a handfull in there, then added my seaweed and molasses..im hoping thats a good feed, im also foliar spraying with a half strength seaweed n water every day.

becarefull with the foliar spray gig you dont want to get your buds wet as that may cause mold to start. hate to see your work get fd up so close to fin. :)

LOL ive been drenching them with seaweed juice. im gambling with the fact its high humidity that causes mold, not the occasional drenching as my poor babies are under nurished...bear in mind that i didnt really understand what foliar feeding was untill a little while ago...pretty sure not a drop of liquid hit my plants for the first 60 days of life as i was worried about nute burn or hot spots from liquid magnification and all that jazz...now i dont care, they are almost complete and i need to push the limits to get what buddage i can out of these babies ;) i would rather risk these now and learn my lessons before the next grow, which will be somewhat more ambitious. plan to get 3 good seeds then clone the crap out of them.

will be looking into that hibrix method, but for the next grow (as changing my ways will be costly) it will be much the same as this one, but with the soil preseeded with bonemeal and on a larger scale. =)

move out to the desert like me and youll never have to worry about bud rot again.

But dieing from heat exaustion... thats another story.

just throwing it out there gig:)after all you have been through just like to see you have a good smoke:peace:

yeah it would suck to lose the crop. i do stare at it about 20 times a day tho ;) if it got to that point i would just cut it as it is and rapid dry it, then smoke it as is..im not hugely worried about proper starving and curing as im the only one consuming it this time round, so i do sorta have a plan if it all goes pete tong ;)

you would be the last guy that I thought I would hear that from. smh I cant belive you got this far and you are gonna throw it in the wind. do it right or dont do it at all :(:peace:and besides this is yours not some crap that you got off the corner. ok I'am off my soap box now :)

lol i tend to find my priorities change depending on how full my bud tin is...right now im miles away from home and ive even been picking at the smaller buds on my plants to tie me over. i go home today and get some supplies, ill feel a lot more chilled when i do so...

thing is, my plants look ready. looking at 80% of the hairs have gone orange, but the buds just dont have any potency, wondering what ive done wrong. as soon as they are dry i will water them one more time with nutes, but then ill starve them after that, probably just fresh water them 2 or 3 times more then will not even water them. 2 days of light after last watering, then maybe 3 or 4 days of darkness and drought (will have to watch them closely, the dryer i can risk the better.) looks like i should get at least half ounce from them (hard to judge) which is nice as buying in 10 bags that saves me almost 150 quid out of my budget =)

Back
Top Bottom