24 hrs of dark before harvest to increase resin?

I like scientific data too. But in the wild people tend to letem go longer as the weather turns adverse therefore creating stress , something SOME expert cup winners exploit to achieve a more viable finished product. Darkness for prolong periods can cause that stress , scoring or half snapping branches can do it , feeding ice water can do it hell it is the perfect time to be a arsehole to plants because if they are finished without some stress the last couple days the hormones stay in grow mode. We evolved with these things and the evolved with us. Tricks do indeed work and it is being documented many different methods. Look up "Stress finishing" on youtube. Med-Man here on the forum is a professional who uses various shock techniques that seem to help him win and he could explain. Other than that I just see mother nature do it and she seems to do it best.

I think 3 days with 4hr light is better than 3 days dark a shorter photo period tells the plant to finish. the only thing a plant can grow in the dark is roots.

Okay, I found I nice little article that sums up everything nicely for everyone. It appears that there may indeed be some very good reasons why farmers have observed a difference in resin production in relations to the light/dark cycle.

It seems to have little or nothing to do with "stress finishing" or scaring the plant with threats of imminent death, it's simply part of the plants natural growth cycle. It is during the dark reaction that ATP is converted into sugar. However, the article does say that the dark reaction occurs during the light period in most plants. So darkness triggers the conversion of stored energy into sugar, but the actual production of sugar takes place primarily during the day or light period.

For those that want to read and work out the math, here ya go.

Photosynthesis

I'm going to threaten my plants with the Fiskars pruning snips right before the last night cycle. I'm really going to put the fear of death in them. That'll scare the resin out of them!

After reading this thread and the links the science (or lack thereof) seems to make sense.

From what I understand cannabis produces resin to both help capture pollen and to be used as a chemical animal deterrent. It's like any other chemical producing plant in the way it defends itself. Scarring the stems seems to make sense too as the plant may think it is being eaten and try to defend itself with it's only defense mechanism.

i'm going to threaten my plants with the fiskars pruning snips right before the last night cycle. I'm really going to put the fear of death in them. That'll scare the resin out of them!

After reading this thread and the links the science (or lack thereof) seems to make sense.

From what i understand cannabis produces resin to both help capture pollen and to be used as a chemical animal deterrent. It's like any other chemical producing plant in the way it defends itself. Scarring the stems seems to make sense too as the plant may think it is being eaten and try to defend itself with it's only defense mechanism.

dont cut leaf.

... my method is this last 14 days to 10 days. all water mostly ice at roots[hydro or soil] for 7 days reg light 12/12. then off for 72 hrs no water let them dry in the dark fans stay on. then 24hrs of light no exhaust till i am at 85dgf. then 1 to 5 days 12/12 ...

So, after the 72 hrs no water & no light, do you add water before the 24hrs lights & 12/12? Or keep it dry the entire time?

So, after the 72 hrs no water & no light, do you add water before the 24 hrs lights & 12/12? Or keep it dry the entire time?

the original info was to finish answering a few others who got all the info.
so here is the whole thing.
last 14 to 10 days your flushing with only water, no chems :ice can be put in the daylight cycle after the first hr of light before watering occurs[tap water ice is OK :: get the temp of the medium down below 60 dgf [never use chems or any kind of flushing shit they want to sell you][your ppm should be less then 400.
so
your lights are really on for 11 hrs and 13 off during that time or if sativa and sativa dominants the last 3 weeks.
then
the last 3 days no water at all.
leave all leaf on the plant for the entire grow.the carbs,sugars etc are produced by the fan and sun leaf.
they are the main production factory's for the entire life of the leaf that sends all the building blocks to the next leaf/node set up.
during the night the plants are dumping and storing the carbs , enzymes and sugars which produce more resins,Turpin and trichomes.
so out of every 24 hrs of the last 3 days.
the lights come on for only 4 hrs.
the photosynthesis during that short time push shit pots of ripe crystals and finish the unripe ones. take a pic of the same bud every day and put on your computer and compare.[you will see "D.K.S." :) = "Dynamite Killer Shit" happening..
this will increases your yield by 10% or more in weight. and add 3 to 6% more potency and triple or more the duration of your high.
also it will be almost 5 times more potent it canebs you normally don't get.[the non psychoactive ones] the ones that help your immune system , anti fungal, anti bacterial and anti viral plus lots of anti inflammatory .
then if many of the fan and sun leaf are dry you can cut them off before hanging the plants. leave on all green ones and trim them as they start to get crumbly. control humidity in the drying room and temp.
not over 50% and 76 dgf. and not under 20% and 55 dgf. this will insure a slow dry cure of about 14 to 21 days. it will be god candy tasty and trippy kick ass long lasting high.
you can manicure to pretty buds when the stems crack and pliable. you can cure longer if you want.
use c vaults for curing. with 62 bovedas. twice as many as the c vaults say. the owner of c vault is a mmj patient friend of mind. we have done hundreds of pounds of test curing of every kind of method and the c vaults with 62 bovedas by far works best.
to start the cure in c vaults put buds and layer in the bovedas.
then with lid partly on add co2 gas.
burp 1 to 2 times a day mixing the buds and re adding the co2. for the next 3 to 5 days. 7 days is OK and sometimes better.
at that point your ready to smoke the best shit in the world you have ever smoked. no doubt ,CANDY OF THE GODS. IF YOU WANT TO STORE FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME. MORE THEN 90 DAYS. add nitrogen to the cans and leave in cool area of about 68 dgf. 1 year from now that will be better then cup winning shit. most of us old timers who grow the best in the world anyone has ever smoked have been asked not to enter the cups cause we never lose . hehehehe. all the great famous fuckers out there wont tell ya all the tricks to get the D.K.S. yep that legendary sweet leaf people remember.
THEY JUST WANT TO SELL YA ANOTHER BOOK.

the original info was to finish answering a few others who got all the info.
so here is the whole thing...

Thanks for the reply with helpful infos. I'll absorb this into my routine.

C Vault offers nine different sizes. I expect less than a half-pound this harvest, but more in future harvests... Any size recommendations?

And does one simply cram as much bud as possible into the vaults? Is it helpful to have one giant c vault instead of many smaller ones?

Finally, in your experience how long are the pak's expected to last under various Vault Size : Bud Amount ratio conditions?

If you look at the diminishing light schedule or some of the grows done using it you will see the resin production is crazy and they get less light each week in flower.

I HAVE PINCHED STEMS OR SNAP THEM AND THAT CAN HELP TOO IF CAREFULLY DONE. AT THE LAST WEEK BUT IF YA DAMAGE IT TOO MUCH CAN RESULT IN HIGHER THC TO CBN CONVERSION. FOR HEALTH NUTS THAT'S FINE[CBN] FOR STONERS NOT GOOD [LESS THC TO GET HIGH ON].
THERE ARE REALLY ONLY 2 MAIN CANEB MOLECULES THAT THE PLANT STARTS WITH AND THEY CONVERT TO THE GENETIC PROGRAMMING AS THEY MATURE. MANKIND HASENT BEEN ABLE TO SEE[STUDY] ALL THE DIFERENT MOLECULES THE PLANT HAS. THE ORIGINAL GOVERNMENT STUDYS IN THE 60s FOUND THERE ARE 107 TOTAL. NOW TODAY WITH BETTER SCIENCE THEY HAVE IDENTIFIED 87 AND JUST RECENTLY DISCOVERED A COMPLEATLY NEW STRAIN WHICH HAS 4 MORE.
THERE ARE NOW THEESE STRAINS
HEMP AND MANY MANY PHENOS
SATIVA WITH MANY PHENOS
INDICA WITH MANY PHENOS
RUDIALYS [CANT SPELL] AUTO FLOWERING WITH MANY PHENOS.
AND A 5TH FOUND IN AFGANISTAN THE TALI BAN TRYED TO ERADICATE BUT THANKS TO SOME STONER U.S. GI'S THIS FIFTH IS DEFINATLY THE STRAIN STRAIN I HAD IN THE 80'S WHICH I THOUGHT WAS LOST TO MANKIND AND MY MISTAKE WHEN I MOVED AND THE PLANTS GOT DESTROYED.
KNOWN AS AFGANICA BACK THEN , AND 17 SEEDS WERE FOUND AND 9 GREW. CANT WAIT TO SEE IT AVAILBLE. [GOT TO KNOW PEOPLE HEHEHE] IT HAS ALREADY BEEN IDENTIFIED AS A COMPLEATLY NEW[OLD/LOST] SPECIES OF CANNABIS .WITH AN ENTIRELY DIFERENT GENETIC PROFILE . SHOWING SO FAR THC CND CNB CBG CBD AND MANY OTHERS 4 NOT EVER SHOWN IN ANY OTHER SPECIES WITH THE POSSIBLE SIGNATURE OF BEING A CURE FOR ALL CANCER.
THERE IS DISCUSSION AMONG CORP AMERICA AND THE 420 PEEPS ETC ABOUT PATENTS AND BRANDING CANNABIS AND THIS ONE HAS BIG BROTHER VERY INTERESTED . DAMM THAT COULD SUCK. CURE CANCER WITH ONE DOSE. WOW. HOW MUCH WOULD THEY CHARGE YA. HOPE THE STONERS GOT MORE THEN WHAT THEY CLAIMED AND THE UNDERGROUND I HOPE IS NOT GREEDY WITH IT. THAT KIND OF CURE SHOULD GO RIGHT TO ALL OF US[SEEDS] ASAP , DON'T WANT TO BE A MISSING PERSON FOR SURE.
I KNOW OF ANOTHER STRAIN THE INDIANS[INDIA] CALLED GOLDEN KUSH WHICH THE BRITISH DID THIER BEST BACK IN THE EMPIRE DAYS TO ERADICATE. SO FAR IT HASEN'T BEEN FOUND IT WAS THE PLANT ONLY THE GURUS WERE ALLOWED TO USE GIVING THEM SOME KIND OF SUPER BRAIN POWER[NAMESTE] ENLIGHTENMENT. IT WAS THE HINDU KUSH THAT GEORGE WASHINGTON WROTE ABOUT.[WOW] WHY THE U.S.A. BILL OF RIGHTS. U.S. [ORIGINAL] CONSTITUTION AND DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE WERE ALL PERFECTLY WRITTEN DOCUMENTS FOR THE FREEDOM OF MANKIND. WHY IT WAS LAW YOU HAD TO GROW IT [LAND OWNERS] AND YOU CAN PAY YOUR TAX WITH IT.
DO YOUR HOME WORK, THERE ARE U.S.A , SPAIN , GERMANY, JAPAN , ISRAEL , NETHERLANDS , FRANCE, RUSSIA , AND CHINA. WHO HAVE ALL THE SCIENTIFIC PROOF ABOUT CANNABIS CURES,HEALTH ETC. AND THEY ALL SAY THE SAME THINGS. CURE , HEALTH CLEAN THE AIR DESTROYS RADIATION , BEST FOOD SOURCE HUMANS CAN CONSUME BEST BIO FUEL ALMOST ALL PLASTIC BOTTLES ARE MADE FROM IT , BEST CLOTHING ETC [ 55,000 PRODUCTS IN THE U.S.A. ALONE ARE MADE WITH CANNABIS, WE CANT GROW HEMP HERE AND THE U.S.A. IS THE LARGEST IMPORTER OF IT[60% OF THE WORLDS PRODUCTION] . WOW. AND ONE SEED OR ONE PLANT UNDER FEDERAL LAW IN U.S.A. IS A MANDATORY 5 YEAR SENTENCE ON THE BOOKS STILL.
THERE ARE MORE LAWS ON THE BOOKS MAKING IT ILLEGAL IN THE USA THEN 1/2 OF ALL THE LAWS COMBINED OF OTHER ILLEGAL ACTIVITY.
LETS CHANGE THE GREEN PARTY TO THE REAL GREEN PARTY AND TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY. 42% OF AMERICA USEING POT AT LEAST 1 TIME A WEEK. 73% OF AMERICA USEING POT AT LEAST 1 TIME PER YEAR.[WHY DO YA THINK WERE THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD]
MUSIC, INVENTION,ENTERTAINMENT, THE MOST POWERFULL COUNTRY, ART EVERYTHING GREAT ABOUT HUMANS ENDEVORS INCLUDING WE HAVE THE MOST RELIGIONS , THE MOST FOOD, THE MOST RESORCES, AND CONTROLL OF ALL OF THE WORLDS MONEY AND ECONOMY. WOW WTF WOW.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT ABOUT THAT, I DISCOVERED IT IN 1981 BY ACCIDENT [NOT PAYING MY ELECTRIC BILL LMAO] AND PROCEDED TO PROVE IT. ED R KNOWS THIS CAUSE I CORRESPONDED WITH HIM IN THE 80s SO DOES GEORGE C, ED R MENTION IT IN THE SECOND EDITION[I THINK] WITH OUT GIVING ME CREDIT SAYING SOME GROWERS DO THIS ETC.[I DONT WANT THE CREDIT BUT HE NEVER WENT AND TRYED DOING IT. GEORGE DID AND IT AINT IN HIS BOOKS ALTHOUGH HE LET IT SLIP IN A UTUBE VIDEO AND SAID SHIT OH WELL LET THAT ONE OUT. D.J SHORT [GOD BLESS HIM] HAS ALWAYS TOLD THE TRUTH ABOUT HOW TO GROW KICK ASS SHIT AND DOSENT HOLD BACK ALL THE SECRETS[GOT TO TAKE HIS CLASS WHEN HE IS IN THE MOOD TO DO THEM] , BUT YES. IT IS VERY HARD TO FIND ALL THE STUDYS IT IS BURRIED DEEP IN THE W.W.W. , AND TAKES LOTS OF PAPERWORK FOR THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION TO GET SOME OF THOSE[TAKES A GOOD ATTORNEY]OR LOTS OF TRIAL AN ERRA... HAVE FUN WATCH YOUR BACK.. WE STILL CONSIDERED OUTLAWS AND 3RD CLASS CITIZENS. TOBACCO SMOKERS AND ALCOHOLICS HAVE MORE RIGHTS THEN WE POT HEADS DO.
REGISTAR TO VOTE AND DO SO. IF YOU ARE IN THE POT WORLD AND DONT VOTE . YOUR AN ASS HOLE BITCH FUCKING NOBODY WHO DONT DESERVE YOUR FREEDOM. I AM A VET. SO IF YA DONT VOTE. F OFF AND DIE[ WE NEED THE FERTILIZER]

ummm ...good medicine in your words gairbud.

I enjoyed your posts and will try these tricks on next grow, mine are all out doors in holes in the ground this time around.

hea vet., welcome home and thanx for your time.....

vet here also

be well

fringe50

Wow great information on this. I am rearing towards the end and trying to contemplate whether or not to use the dark period. Honestly I am torn. The plant has been through a lot with a case of light burn about 3 weeks into budding and I noticed a real increase in the resin once she began to heal up. It seemed to pack on very quick to almost recover or protect it from it again. I am leaning toward a 24 hour light period at this end to give it a shot. I wish I had a control plant on this one for a comparison but I don't, so who knows. Good thread none the less lots of information to pull from this one.

wow great information on this. I am rearing towards the end and trying to contemplate whether or not to use the dark period. Honestly i am torn. The plant has been through a lot with a case of light burn about 3 weeks into budding and i noticed a real increase in the resin once she began to heal up. It seemed to pack on very quick to almost recover or protect it from it again. I am leaning toward a 24 hour light period at this end to give it a shot. I wish i had a control plant on this one for a comparison but i don't, so who knows. Good thread none the less lots of information to pull from this one.
the dark period is really 20 hrs off and 4 hrs on. The carbs and sugars build over the nite[dark] but wont convert till during the 4 hrs of light.

Back
Top Bottom