24hrs between pics: she's not well at all!

Sam1992

420 Member
Dealing with some kind of deficiency at day 22 no growth at all for 4-5 days, just can't get her well again, day by day she's getting worse, upped the cal mag few days ago, no noticeable difference. PH steady at 6.5.... RH pretty low though wondering if that could cause such issues after good growth for the first 2.5 weeks...

Attachments

• 20190119_210653.jpg
    20190119_210653.jpg
    613.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20190120_225026.jpg
    20190120_225026.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190121_225652.jpg
    20190121_225652.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190122_225310.jpg
    20190122_225310.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 65
We need more information before hazarding a guess. The suggested format is:

Strain:
# of Plants:
Growth Stage:
seedling, vegetative, flowering (include time in stage)
Grow Area Size:
Air Temperature:
(in the grow area)
Relative Humidity:
Ventilation:
Size of fans / airflow (cu m/hr or CFM)
Lights: MH, HPS, LED, (include power and manufacturer)
Grow Type: Soil, coco coir/perlite, hydroponics, etc
Medium: more details of the grow type (rockwool, expanded clay, etc.)
Pot / Bag / Bucket & Resevoir Size: in liters or US gal
Nutrients: manufacturer and series (ie: General Hydroponics Flora Trio)
Solution Temperature:
Solution PPM:
Solution pH:
Pests:

That said, the pH looks to be a little high for the vegetative stage. I veg at a pH of 5.8, and go to 6.2 during flowering stage.

Strain: special queen, feminized

# of Plants: 1, (trial run)

Growth Stage:
Day 22 veg

Grow Area Size: 6' x 3' x 8' LxWxH

Air Temperature: Lights on 25°c Lights off 20°c

Relative Humidity: 30%-50%

Ventilation: intake 2x 4inch inline fans pulling fresh from outdoors

Lights: 600w hps air cooled with 5inch inline fan pulling from outdoors and exhausting straight outdoors again.

Grow Type: hydroponics DWC

Medium: Rockwool and Expanded clay pebbles in 80mm mesh pot

Pot / Bag / Bucket & Resevoir Size: 20L black bucket with air stone, aquarium air pump with two outlets being used, pump located next to fresh air intake to maximise oxygen to roots.

Nutrients: Canna aqua Vega A+B 1/4 strength.

Solution Temperature: 21°c
Solution PPM: 600-800
Solution pH: 6.0-6.5
Pests:

She was going great for a few weeks then started seeing problems 4 days ago and getting worse daily, thought It was phosphorus deficiency but got pointed to magnesium and suggested I upped the ph to 6.5 which I did also upped the cal mag dose still she gets worse, don't want to be drastic in anything I do but also don't want to act too late.... if it's not already!

She was going great for a few weeks then started seeing problems 4 days ago and getting worse daily, thought It was phosphorus deficiency but got pointed to magnesium and suggested I upped the ph to 6.5 which I did also upped the cal mag dose still she gets worse, don't want to be drastic in anything I do but also don't want to act too late.... if it's not already!

Also with Ventilation i have a carbon filter with a centrifugal fan into my exhaust duct to outdoors and a small desk fan on the plant and a bigger 16inch fan giving good air flow and movement throughout the room.

Do you use water from an RO, well, or municipal water. If municipal, do you let it stand for 48 hrs to allow the chloramine to evaporate out?

What are the TDC and pH of the source water? Hard mineral laden water must be taken into consideration when adding nutrients.

Do you use the nutrients at manufacturer recommended full strength? If not, what percentage do you use? For my first grow I kept to 25% of what General Hydroponics recommended for their Flora Trio.

Do you check TDC and pH daily? Do you add water to the reservoir daily to bring the TDC back to where it belongs? Is that water pH adjusted for your grow?

How far is the nutrient solution below your net pots?

What do the roots look like? Are they nice and white, or brown and slimy? Have they descended into the nutrient solution, or are they still above it. DWC requires a lot of air. I planned on 10 liters per minute per container when I laid out my system. My well couldn't supply enough water for DWC, which is why I'm growing in coco/perlite.

Water is tap water, left out for 48hrs yes. It comes out with a ph around 6.8 so I lower that to around 5.5 before adding nutrients (as I understand nutrients are sensitive to ph)
I adjust the ph daily although it doesn't move much once set, it did have a drop from around 6 to 4.8 on day 14ish which probably contributed to the issues I'm having now, since then I've kept a close eye on it.
Day 7 to 14 used 1/4 strength nutes
Day 18 started noticing spots/yellowing upped the dose to 1/2 strength nutes and full strength cal mag on recommendation.
The roots are fantastic, loads of them and all crisp white...
She doesn't drink much so I don't top her up, again from research it's led me to believe to have the water level about an inch or two below the pot once roots have developed, lowering the water level encourages smaller roots to grow toward the water source, seems to be working great.

Attachments

• 20190123_010914.jpg
    20190123_010914.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20190123_010848.jpg
    20190123_010848.jpg
    849 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190123_010842.jpg
    20190123_010842.jpg
    789.1 KB · Views: 66
The leaves look to be droopy, yet firm. The whole leaf looks to be curled, not just the tips. These are signs of nitrogen toxicity. The yellowing of the leaves indicates a nitrogen deficiency. The roots are not as white as I'd expect from a DWC. You seem to be doing everything right as far as water and nutrients go. I'm leaning heavily to the opinion that the plants are drowning. If so, this fix for this is more air. There should be at least 10 liters per minute of air in fine bubbles for each pot. Do you have this volume of air?

comes out with a ph around 6.8 so I lower that to around 5.5 before adding nutrients (as I understand nutrients are sensitive to ph)

I would ph after you add your nutrients other wise you are constantly adjusting it. Knowing what your tap is is good, but I would add your nutrients to your water mix or let an air stone do it as well then check and adjust ph. Being in any kind of hydro ph is key to nutrient uptake. Being off will lock out certain nutrients.
Peace OG

My water pH is around yers, about 6.5 - 6.7, it's RO water
I add my nutes and usually land at a perfect pH for my DWC around 5.8

I rarely need any pH adjusters

I agree add nutes, the pH adjust if needed

I've also found it's tuffer to manage pH in large rezz's. My 12 gal are harder than my 5gal buckets for sure

Be sure yet water isn't goopy, nutes aren't settling on the bottom, water isn't too warm or cold, and water is 2" below net pot and lots of bubbles

She's perked right up guys, I've taken into account every shred of input and info each of you have shared and it's saved her. A few minor adjustments here and there with cal mag, PH, nutes and res temps and it seems to have worked wonders.
2 pictures they're 3 days apart when she was at her worst and one from today.

Let me know what you think and again thank you all for the much needed help it's all come handy not only for this project but future ones too.

Attachments

• 20190122_225310.jpg
    20190122_225310.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190125_150714.jpg
    20190125_150714.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 50
So far so good, as a new grower it's hard to pick up on certain things but hopefully things will go smoother from now. Thank you for all of your time, questions and overall help. I'll keep posting regular pics so you can stay in the loop, feel free to give any pointers if you notice anything untoward about the plants or the setup that I will have missed.

Back
Top Bottom