315 CMH Question

1df

420 Member
Hi all

1st post here, though a long time lurker. I have 2 tents, a 3x3 Veg with an HLG 300 and a 4x4 Flower with an HLG 600. My wintertime temperatures are low and growth is slowed combined with deficiencies resulting from low transpiration. Temps outside of the tent where air is drawn from is 60-62 degrees F, and the inside tent temps at plant height raise to 70-75 with an IR gun showing leaf surface temps in the same range. I have to buy lights to use in the winter instead and like much about the 315 CMH ( Sun System or Hortilux all in 1 units ) vs a traditional MH/HPS. I would use the 315 as the sole light in the 3x3 and as a supplement light with the 600 in the 4x4.

My question is, would the 315 in the 3x3, given 60-62 starting temps, be viable? I know that leaf surface temp is more important than ambient temp and was hoping that it would bring me to mid to upper 70's ( slightly higher than the LED ) but with better leaf temps due to the IR. I realize I could get a 400 MH and probably do this or better but would prefer the 315 for several reasons - it is a flexible light and could be used to flower a SCROG or several short plants in this tent if I choose, and it is an Open rated bulb eliminating the need to run an air cooled hood for safety reasons with a MH and cluttering up the space with ducting and having to deal with the glassed reflector.

My second question is how viable is a 315 in the 4x4 as a supplemental light? I assume it will raise the temps even less due to a larger tent size but was hoping it would increase leaf temps to again mid to upper 70s for approx half of the tent ( run on the side next to the 600 ) and I could rotate the plants ( only legally allowed 3 in flower ) daily. I also realize chucking in a 400 HPS would be better but like the thought of the 315 for the safety w/o air cooled reflector reason, and for the added UV which my HLG does not have. Sorry for the long post, would love some feedback as I need to do something soon:)

S

@1df , welcome to 420 and now you are no longer a lurker but a member, nothing wrong with lurking though.

Being an outdoor farmer I am not qualified to answer your questions, I'm sure you will get the answers you are looking for, we have some very smart indoor growers here as well as a top-notch group of sponsors that can and probably will help with your questions.

By the way, don't keep all of that savvy of yours to yourself, we are always open to suggestions from our fellow growers.

garybo

Hi all

1st post here, though a long time lurker. I have 2 tents, a 3x3 Veg with an HLG 300 and a 4x4 Flower with an HLG 600. My wintertime temperatures are low and growth is slowed combined with deficiencies resulting from low transpiration. Temps outside of the tent where air is drawn from is 60-62 degrees F, and the inside tent temps at plant height raise to 70-75 with an IR gun showing leaf surface temps in the same range. I have to buy lights to use in the winter instead and like much about the 315 CMH ( Sun System or Hortilux all in 1 units ) vs a traditional MH/HPS. I would use the 315 as the sole light in the 3x3 and as a supplement light with the 600 in the 4x4.

My question is, would the 315 in the 3x3, given 60-62 starting temps, be viable? I know that leaf surface temp is more important than ambient temp and was hoping that it would bring me to mid to upper 70's ( slightly higher than the LED ) but with better leaf temps due to the IR. I realize I could get a 400 MH and probably do this or better but would prefer the 315 for several reasons - it is a flexible light and could be used to flower a SCROG or several short plants in this tent if I choose, and it is an Open rated bulb eliminating the need to run an air cooled hood for safety reasons with a MH and cluttering up the space with ducting and having to deal with the glassed reflector.

My second question is how viable is a 315 in the 4x4 as a supplemental light? I assume it will raise the temps even less due to a larger tent size but was hoping it would increase leaf temps to again mid to upper 70s for approx half of the tent ( run on the side next to the 600 ) and I could rotate the plants ( only legally allowed 3 in flower ) daily. I also realize chucking in a 400 HPS would be better but like the thought of the 315 for the safety w/o air cooled reflector reason, and for the added UV which my HLG does not have. Sorry for the long post, would love some feedback as I need to do something soon:)

S

I grew with 315W CMH's for around 6 years.
Two lamps and grew both horizontal and vertical grows with them.
I had some impressive crops, you can search my signatures.
I switched this year to the HLG Scorpion Diablo, the main reason was I move my 4 x 4 operation from a closet in the house out to my shop and purchased a GGT 5 x 5.
I had no temp issues in the closet as I had an AC set up in the room I drew the air from.
They are much hotter than my HLG. I just completed my first run with the new lamp and I am impressed.

i run one 630 cmh, which is dimmable,, not that that matters to you but i use it occasionally, i run it in a 3ft by 42inch room,, bit bigger than your room

just noting cuz i know when i researched that to buy i was not overpowered for my 3, 3.5 room,, mentioning because your size room for one 315 is near same as my 630 room,,

perhaps your research might set 'me' straight,, ha

i used the dimmer for dead of summer heat issues,,

garybo - Thanks for the welcome. I would love to do something outdoors but for me to be legal I have to stay inside here, which is Ok because the weather is poor for outdoors here anyhow. Jealous of the warmer climate folks who can grow those huge bushes and most especially those 20 foot Equatorial Sativas!

gr865 - The Diablo looks Awesome. I have the 600 Rspec and wish I could have spent the extra to get the Diablo. I'm in a GGT 4x4 and can't put the height extender on it so capped at 83 inches which really limits the total avail vertical space. I'm poking into 22 inches top of plant to light now and have to dim to 50% to prevent curl and burn. They are some serious lights man!
Were you running 2 315s in a 4x4? How did you find coverage on the edges of the tent? Also could you tell me what your intake temps were and what your tent and/or leaf temps were during that time, if you recall?

nivek - a 630 should kill it in that size tent! I've seen some impressive 630 results on youtube and the forums. I'm hoping is I flower a run in the 3x3 I would add my HLG 300Bspec to the 315 CMH, Bspec not being ideal but it might help keep them shorter to provide slightly better use of the light from a penetration standpoint.

Would love to hear from someone who uses the 315 in a similar size tent in similar conditions ( winter/cold ) to see what their experience has been and if it would veg/flower well as I specifically would add this as a cold weather light. Really want to make it work instead of getting a traditional MH!

@1df
gr865 - The Diablo looks Awesome. I have the 600 Rspec and wish I could have spent the extra to get the Diablo. I'm in a GGT 4x4 and can't put the height extender on it so capped at 83 inches which really limits the total avail vertical space. I'm poking into 22 inches top of plant to light now and have to dim to 50% to prevent curl and burn. They are some serious lights man!
Were you running 2 315s in a 4x4? How did you find coverage on the edges of the tent? Also could you tell me what your intake temps were and what your tent and/or leaf temps were during that time, if you recall?

Highest temps running in flower were 83 degrees F, my draw air from the room with the AC was 78 at the time, I lowered it to 70 and that was the ticket, temps never got above 80 again.
I do like having the temps in the low to mid 80's during veg, but not during flower.
I do not measure my leaf temps.

garybo - Thanks for the welcome. I would love to do something outdoors but for me to be legal I have to stay inside here, which is Ok because the weather is poor for outdoors here anyhow. Jealous of the warmer climate folks who can grow those huge bushes and most especially those 20 foot Equatorial Sativas!

nivek - a 630 should kill it in that size tent! I've seen some impressive 630 results on youtube and the forums. I'm hoping is I flower a run in the 3x3 I would add my HLG 300Bspec to the 315 CMH, Bspec not being ideal but it might help keep them shorter to provide slightly better use of the light from a penetration standpoint.

Would love to hear from someone who uses the 315 in a similar size tent in similar conditions ( winter/cold ) to see what their experience has been and if it would veg/flower well as I specifically would add this as a cold weather light. Really want to make it work instead of getting a traditional MH!
Did u say you wish you had the $ for the the lil extra light a Diablo puts out while saying you can't go past 50% on your R-Spec? Then Throw a 30w uva bar in the middle. Lol! Got rid of my Diablo to replace with my 8 yr old cob/mono array light.

1df, hopefully you've got your lights worked out. I've been growing with similar temperature problems.
The CMH seems to do help the plants warm-up during lights on.
The temperature drop after lights out is still a problem and slows everything down.
Ive insulated the floor of my tent with two layer's or mylar backed foam, which helped.

Back
Top Bottom