Double-Ended 630 CMH vs 2x 315 CMH lights

madmarv0525

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the de 630? A good friend of mine switched from 1000w hps to 2 of the 315 CMH lights per 4x4 trellis. His yield went from around 15-16 oz per trellis, to 22-24 oz per trellis. My thinking says the 630 should have better penetration, but the 315's may be a better choice for the coverage area.

:Namaste:

My thinking says the 630 should have better penetration, but the 315's may be a better choice for the coverage area.

No experience with them, but I'm guessing that you have the right of it - in which case things such as your strain choice and growing style would become significant factors. For example, if you are trying to produce a dense, thick canopy, the higher-wattage light would seem to have an advantage. On the other hand, if you have a thinner, less dense (or sparser) canopy, perhaps one that is a little more spread out, occupies an odd-shaped footprint, or has plants of varying heights... then the two smaller lights would likely have some advantages over the larger single one.

I have seen a few videos using the de630 and the plants looked great and the canopy is dense, but that isnt all light

I've got 2x 6'x4' cupboards, I've just put 1 x HiPar 630W CMH in one on a light mover and 2 x HiPar 315's in the other, it will be interesting to see the results for comparison.

Initially I tried 1 x 315 on a light mover in one cupboard and I was so impressed i bought a 630 to throw in there as well and turned the mover off. I had a 40% increase in yield over LED's in that cupboard over 1000W LED. 40% increase in yield and shorter flower time (6 instead of 8 weeks)

The other cupboard I initially had 3 x Epistar 160's, the first yield was good and the following where not so good. Some of the Led's had failed in all 3 lights I had, even under warranty as per there website warranty, Mars did not want honor their warranty ( wanted me to Pay for parts and labour), but that's another story.. I replaced those Epistars with a couple of 600W HPS I had lying around and started flowering under those, it was all good until a power spike and outage caused the Ballasts to blow. So I went and bought another 315w so that the other cupboard now has 2 x 315's which are stationary. It will be interesting to see how they perform but so far I'm pretty impressed. Penetration is far superior than LED.
- Juz420

I agree Juz. I just ordered a Solistech 600w Mh/hps ballast, bulbs and 8" Max44 cooled hood direct from one of their approved vendors on ebay for under $160. Idk about CMH, but it would have been another $100 for their cmh315. I will def go cmh before ever going back to led as my grow area gets a larger footprint.

I run a single 315w CMH over 1.2 x 1.2m
, I used to run a 600w hps... Get .8g-watt.
I got 1g-watt not even trying with one 315. Plants love it.
Try keep your plants under 1m so you get extra punch and the lower buds denseness will blow you away.
Now got 2 x 315w cmh in 4ft x 8ft tent.
You should get 700g with that.... Easy.

Maybe at 615w per 4ft sq space it yields more, but it would want to be over 700g, per 4ft sq to make it worth it.
I enjoy cheaper power bills.

LR72

I have been wondering the same thing. Should I pickup a 630 Watt CMH or just another 315 CMH to go along with the one I already have. I have a 4x4 tent with a single 315 CMH and I just finished my very first grow. I got 400 grams out of it and that's a person who has never grown before at all. I was so impressed that I really want to get another one but I'm not sure if I should run two 315's or just one 630? CMH fan boy right here! :ganjamon:

I have been wondering the same thing. Should I pickup a 630 Watt CMH or just another 315 CMH to go along with the one I already have. I have a 4x4 tent with a single 315 CMH and I just finished my very first grow. I got 400 grams out of it and that's a person who has never grown before at all. I was so impressed that I really want to get another one but I'm not sure if I should run two 315's or just one 630? CMH fan boy right here! :ganjamon:
Mate for a 4 x 4 , I would go the 630w cmh, can get an SE version, two 315w globes... Then all your lights run same 315w globes.
If money is tight, just throw another 315w in, you will get same results.

I know what you mean by impressed, I grew 4 plants, about 50cm high in 4.5lt pots got around 350g..... Too easy....
The philips bulbs are the bom, but sunmaster are decent too.
Got to slow my fans down, they run soo cool that temps get too low.... But for summer in flower.... Can do.

I've never used a 630. But two 315 would be the same amount of power, except you would have the advantage of spacing them out for better coverage.

Also if you buy two of them and one of them craps out on you all of a sudden at least you have some lighting for the plants until you get another grow light. If the 630 Burns Out you're screwed if you don't have another light

If you get another 315 and one fails mid-grow, you know you can easily finish the grow with one light. I also think you'll get better penetration because you have light coming from two points.

Back
Top Bottom