315W LEC vs 300 HLG Quantum Board

The Physicist

Nebula Haze completed her 300 HLG QB vs 4000k Hortilux Bulb (Vertical Alignment) and results are below:

Note: shes admits that no defoliating was done and therefore the LEC lower buds were mostly thrown into trim and that reduced the weight, which also in turn makes smaller buds and lower THC.

As expected LEC has more terps and more flavors due to the broader spectrum

Strain was Pacific Punch same conditions in a 2x4 tent.
BA386915-373F-4903-AA14-572F63AD7569.jpeg

Interesting. The lower buds on the plants grown under LED were high enough in quality to be used for smoking, while the lower buds grown under your ceramic metal halide were not? Or you ended up throwing the lower stuff from the LED garden into the cooking/extraction pile and that space still had a higher final (bud) weight?

By the way, I am assuming that those two spaces really are separate and not merely two sides of the same space. And that both sets of the... test subjects (lol) are clones from the same mothers instead of being grown from seeds, which eliminates the non-zero chance of phenotype variation playing a part in the difference in results and, therefore, making this a valid experiment. Am I correct?

Thanks for running it, and for posting your results!

Not my results, its from Nebula Haze. All I can say is that it was clones, separate tents.

LEC had probably 15% of its total weight chucked in trim. So that gives a perspective more so. I think it comes down to temp and environment. Not much info there from what I’ve read.

Thanks for the clarification.

I once saw a "wide tent" grow that had LED on one side and HID (HPS) on the other, with plants on each side (it's been several years, back when LEDs were first gaining popularity). The "LED side" plants were larger - and, indeed, yielded slightly more. Later the test was repeated, with the results ending up opposite (compared to the first run). I went back and looked at the images from the first grow again, and it looked like the plants on the LED side of the tent were growing slightly towards the other side of the tent, lol.

Should be noted the PAR measured was 800 center to 450 edge for HLG and 540 center to 250 edge for the LEC. This explains the difference in final yield as the LED produced >50% more PAR

Years ago, I would read about people hanging 400-watt HIDs at 20" or more distance from the top of their canopy. I'd just scratch my head. Have had buds touching the glass in air-cooled reflectors and the glass only attenuates the light something like 9%. Yes, some of the tips got a little crunchy, lol. But not bleached like with a 1kW. I straightened things out and had a little more space. Then I used a slightly larger space and raised it a little more. Gross yield went up slightly - but bud density went down, too. Got more light and was pretty happy for a while. As hobbies go, growing cannabis is a lot like drag racing. "I just need to go a little faster." Until you do, at which point... "I just need to go a little faster."

Everyone talks about the latest and greatest thing. I kind of miss my old air-cooled HID reflectors, 430-watt C&C ballasts, and 430-watt Phillips Planta-T Son Agro (IIRC) 430-watt HPS bulbs. best 400-watt HIDs I ever used - kicked Eye Hortilux's arse. Always wanted to try a 600-watt (class - the actual wattage would have been higher, of course, due to the supplemental blue component) version. Now... I don't even know if that bulb product line and the higher than standard wattage HID ballasts are even still available.

Just rambling. More reliable than a PGP public key, lol - if you see one of my posts, you'll know it's mine ;) .

Back
Top Bottom