39% extraction yield RSO

Jack, so sorry for your oil!
You can decarb 2 ml, if that's your last one!
It can stay in the bottom of your metal cup, blow some warm air to it with hair drier and take a grain out with toothpick or spatula.

I just wonder. Suppose you washed your cooking oil with ethanol, stirred it properly (even use blender), left it to separate. Oil should be heavier and go to bottom. If they do not want to separate, then cooking oil is going solid at around -6 so. Use freezing to help to separate? Good stirring before freezing. I haven't a glue if it would work.

Question is, does CO stay in cooking oil or go over to alcohol?

Hmm... google, help... The most famous King Midas is popularly remembered in Greek mythology for his ability to turn everything he touched with his hand into gold. nice !

Marium that is genius, thank you, I was thinking what the hell am I going to do with infused cooking oil? Not because it's not usable but because most of the time you make something with a bit of oil and throw the oil away. Pancakes absorb oil perfectly. You are a genius. I am going to be eating a lot of them though.

Going to try it for my bacon and eggs too. :morenutes:

Thanks for helping me figure out a way to reclaim it but I think I am just going to use it as oil for food for now. Have just tried the heated extraction yesterday and worked beautifully. Only used about 6 grams of bud and then threw in all my misfit herb, buds of strains i dont like much, kief, a bit of trim I had so was probably around an ounce in total. Busy winterising now and should be ready by tomorrow. My problem is not so much that I dont have oil/bud more that I have far too many sativa dominates and hybrids and they are not great for pain.

Got my latest crop ready to come down but they just seem to keep wanting to grow, 10 days into the fush and they are putting on decent amounts of weight and resin still. Very few ambers (same as when I started the flush) but almost completely cloudy.

Lab Rat posted:
Decarb barely starts at 170. I used to do it at 180*F for 30 minutes and thought I was getting great results until I decarbed at 250*F for 27 minutes and a 20+ years of smoking pothead friend of mine asked if I had mixed LSD with my oil.

You can make CBD bacon to start and THC pancakes to finish. Oven stew would probably spoil the golden touch.

Sounds amazing, Mrs dabs and i were talking about doing pancakes the other day. Your plan sounds perfect, just have to make sure to use regular oil for the kiddies.

Midnight munchie pancakes sounds like the most likely/viable option. Who knows serendipity is a funny thing and often the best inventor, look out canna butter haha. Not likely but makes me feel a little better about being a dumbass. :bravo:

"Got my latest crop ready to come down but they just seem to keep wanting to grow, 10 days into the fush and they are putting on decent amounts of weight and resin still. Very few ambers (same as when I started the flush) but almost completely cloudy." - Jack D.

Same thing just happened to my Sour D crop. Finally just took them down after 2 weeks of flushing!!! Dry but not cured yet. Peace.

:circle-of-love:

Just received my induction burner today!

I've got a half gallon of Everclear in the cupboard. I think this weekend I will be making my first attempt at making the oil. I am super stoked to finally have everything together. I don't have a lot of product for this first run, but that's alright. Harvest is right around the corner!

Or did you make some tincture?

I made a batch of the heat extracted oil and I am very impressed. I cant remember exactly how much I used but I think it was about an ounce and it returned 4 and a half grams of oil.

The main reason for less quantity is that I only did two runs for 20 minutes each because I ran out of ice. The quality is fantastic, it's really quite strong and it does taste a little funkier than usual but not by much and the bonus is that it is much easier to tack. Tacking has definitely been working for me lately tried it 10 times and all 10 times I didn't get high at all.Quite crazy and just swallowing it definitely gets me baked every time.

Thanks again for sharing lab rat.

CajunCelt, I know you had your oil tested with this method, could you please share with us what strain you started out with and what the THC percentage was of the oil you tested.

It seems this thread took on a life of its own. I recently had the chance pick the brain of an extraction expert in Colorado that owns one of the major dispensaries.

Basically he said that when comparing the Rick Simpson method, the quick cold wash and my hot reflux method; cannabinoid content of my hot reflux method was the highest at 100% cannabinoid extraction (lab proven).

The Rick Simpson room temp method only extracts about 50% of the cannabinoids. You are basically throwing away half your medicine. The quick cold wash method is only slightly better at around 60% extraction.

The hot reflux method does extract 100% of the cannabinoids but it also extracts all the chlorophyll and most of the plant waxes. It can be a bit of an overkill because it draws everything and you end up with more oil but a diluted medicine. So if you want maple syrup colored oil you will never get it with this method.

Winterizing and filtering

Without winterizing I've gotten 49% extraction yields using four 30 minute cold washes or almost 14 grams from an ounce. Great for the pothead who just wants a lot of oil and could care less about its quality.

Ever since a while ago I've been figuring out ways to filter and purify my oil. Currently I'm getting a 28% yield from an ounce. That's a 21% hit on output but you are basically getting rid of unwanteds and concentrating your medicine.

First filter once when all the ethanol is warm or at room temperature. I use coffee filters and they end up quite dirty with this brown sludge. Once filtered stick your alcohol in the freezer.

Some people insist it has to be 24 or 48 hours. This is not how organic chemistry works, more of a thing doesn't happen over time. All that matters is how long it takes to reach the freezer's absolute lowest temp. My mom's freezer drops 2 liters of ethanol to -4*F in about 8 hours so I just leave it for 12 hours and winterize overnight but the higher quantity of ethanol the longer it will take.

When the ethanol hits certain temps; the previously liquid chlorophyll and plant waxes will solidify and when filtered it will get stuck on your filter. As the ethanol heats up they will re-liquify so you cant just put it in a giant cone filter and go get some breakfast. Several small coffee filters is probably better and any once you filter get clogged get another. Cold ethanol will filter at a slower rate.

Just from this one step you will notice a change in hue and transparency. Were before your ethanol looked like cold coffee, now it will look like thick red wine. It still wont be transparent but more light will pass through.

When your oil is almost done I re-add ethanol to liquify and do another overnight winterizing, re filter and then finally evaporate and pun into syringes, droppers, etc.

There is another method; a much slower method that requires way more care. It extracts 100% of the cannabinoids with very little chlorophyll or plant waxes.

Its basically a 24 hour cold wash method.
Your bud is ground up, decarbed, put in the freezer for 24 hours to freeze any remaining water content and chlorophyll. The ethanol is also placed in the freezer for 24 hours.

After 24 hours mix the ethanol and ground up bud and leave mixed together for another 24 hours. This method consumes less ethanol. After 24 hours separate through a metal strainer and squeeze your ground up bud to remove any moisture. When doing lab analysis on that ground up bud you will see there are no longer any cannabinoids left.

After that winterize, evaporate, winterize and you're done. Expected yield is about 16% or about 5 grams. Quality should be the highest.

So if the reflux method yields nearly 8 grams and this method yields 5 grams that's a good 62% more but it won't be more medicine.

Hope all is well Cajuncelt. So you posted awhile back about experimenting with the CannaBudwig protocol, was just curious how you found that compared to other cannabis oil methods?

I would try this method but how do decarb dried buds?
For decarbing CO I use cooking oil bath, which keeps temperature steady. But oven's temperature is not constant, it is jumping up and down like a flee.

Hope all is well Cajuncelt. So you posted awhile back about experimenting with the CannaBudwig protocol, was just curious how you found that compared to other cannabis oil methods?

Best bioavailability to date.

Best bioavailability to date.

Thanks for the prompt reply buddy. It is very encouraging to see likes of You, Motoco, Labrat and countless others sharing your knowledge on this great medicine for others to produce. I recently been experimenting with strains from my recent harvest to come up with a good daytime & nighttime oil. My first oil was made from Critical Kush and Northern lights, Good nighttime, good pain relief and sleep Aid. But really Awesome for PTSD, the individual I was giving it to went from 3 Ativan a day down to 1 in 3 weeks ,and plans on getting off them completely in another week( hated the side effects from Ativan)but do you expect anything less from poison. Tried to make a Daytime oil using the strains Blue Dream, Sour Kush(headband) & Cannatonic. Did the QWET method explained by Motoco and yielded 16 grams of oil from 100 grams of bud( my best yield to date).But my oil still leaned more to the " Nighttime", I decarbed at the proper temps . Think it could be the Sour kush Strain giving it a touch of "couchlock"?

This may sound a bit foolish Mariamlu, but I have a BBQ with four burners, I will only turn on one of those burners at lowest heat possible. I then used a mercury thermometer set on the upper warming tray inside the bbq for cross reference(most bbq's already has a thermometer on outside of the lid ) then did a few Dry Runs first. With my bbq cover completely closed it still would become to hot , so I set a one inch piece of wood under the lid so it would not close completely , I did achieve a constant temperature of 250F give or take 2 degrees. Like you said most ovens give you a average temp. Now mind you all BBq's are different and you may have neighbors .Each for their own . good luck!

Back
Top Bottom