600 watt - 15 amp outlet?

Re: 600 watt ,,,,15 amp outlet????

Yes. all you have to do is take the watts (600) and divide it by the volts you use (120) = 5amps. Happy Growing

ohh do not for get to add the ballast in there too. They draw amps as well.

Yes. all you have to do is take the watts (600) and divide it by the volts you use (120) = 5amps. Happy Growing

So my panel in my shed says 100 AMP.MAX with 5 (120) outlets. Which would mean I would be safe running 1800 watts(15amps) on an outlet. Correct?

You should only run 75% of what the line is rated for otherwise it will pop or flip the breaker.On 15 amp breaker can hold like 12 amps or like 1300w

Actually per code the rating on the breaker already has a % operational factor built in. In other words a 15 amp breaker can handle upwards of 1800 watts usually between the rating and about 125% or 2250 watts of that will actually trip the breaker. However if the breaker is tripped that extra factor degrades closer to the rating 1800 watts and eventually if tripped multiple times it will fail at a lower than rated point. That is when you will need an electrician to replace it. It is a good rule of thumb to keep everything under the rating. :love:

There are other factors in real life that happen such as the line voltage can come down from 120 to 115 or even 110 during high demand hours for your electric supply company. During these times the voltage may lower but that means currents go up and the same watts (energy, power) are used. Law of energy conservation. Power(P) equals Current(I) times Voltage(V) P=IV. Magnetic ballasts are well suited by their nature for HID lights against this particular anomaly.

:peace:

ohh do not for get to add the ballast in there too. They draw amps as well.

This is correct. The rating of a digital ballast is generally a little bit higher than the rating of your HID bulb. So it would be a good idea to follow the rating of the digital ballast when adding your total wattage use for a particular breaker. You do not add the bulb wattage to the digital ballast wattage however. So if your Bulb is 600 watts the digital ballast might be say 650 or 700 watts. That is because the digital ballast takes some power itself to operate the internal electronics of the ballast and then supplies the remaining 600 watts to your 600 watt bulb.

A magnetic ballast also has some power used but it is negligible and generally you won't find a separate listed power rating on them they are usually about 98% efficient.

So I'm running a garage with 30amp wiring and 240 volts (New Zealand) Does that mean I'd roughly use 4.16 (recurring - call it 4.2 amps) running a 1000 w HPS ??

At 240 Volts and 1000 watts you would have a current of 4.16 Amps You said its wired at 30 amps, do you mean it has a 30 amp breaker or fuse at the electrical box? In general higher voltage means less current and the reverse is true, lower voltage means higher current but the wattage (power used) will be the same. Law of conservation of energy. Electricity in general, Power = Current x Voltage.

Can i plug in a 600 watt light into a 15 amp outlet

You should be able to run two 600s even. Stay away from maximum draw though. Extension cords subtract a bit of power because of line drop depending on gage (thickness) and length and quality. And make sure you're aware of everything using that circuit - not always apparent without a bit of investigating. As part of routine go around once in awhile and feel all connections - warm is ok. Sometimes you'll get a faulty -whatever- and things heat up. I've had a timer go up in smoke for no apparent reason so mounted all timers and ballasted,etc on a fireproof backing.

Back
Top Bottom