JimmyJackson

Hello Community - I know this topic has been posted before but the messages are so mixed about how far to hang these LED lights. I hope we can get some answers that a definite and clear for the best growth. How close do I hang this light???

Mine sprouted close to a week back and while the first set of leaves has grown a little I am still worried about the seemingly slow growth and wonder if it is due to LED height and/or over watering (which I know I did - adding water whenever the soil felt a tad dry). Here are my questions:

1. Can the full spectrum LED give too much light due to being too close? I have read YES and NO, some say keep light as close as you can without burning and others 24+ inches. Can there really be too much light? Outdoors plants surely get days of full sun. Mine is hanging around 16 inches.
2. Check my pics. Does this situation look OK for 6 days old? The left hand plant seems to have stopped - still green and looks healthy enough though...Any comments appreciated. I feel really nervous about how slow they seem to be going.

fe04cb451b.jpg

fe05263aa4.jpg

Cheers to you.

I also now use leds.. But for the first 2 weeks i use 4 6500k cfl bulbs then swap to the led.. Im not sure what spectrum ur led is but thats what i do and it works great.. At 6 days they look fine to me but im a beginner grower myself.. Ive been told the more light the better

If i can be of any further assistance just let me know.. Feel free to pm me

Thanks Sypherz. Might look into fluroscent for the future - seems a lot of growers use them for seedlings and early vege. I should add these are 6 days out of the soil, not six days since germ.

BTW for all readers - these 2 babies are Azura Haze by Crop King Seeds. Not much info out there on this strain but its genetics are Blueberry X Lemon Haze.

Its not the led. They are okcfor day 6 but if they dont start growing faster soon I would start to question soil and water , situation before the led. 16 is a happy medium and I wouldnt change that. Look at other things.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Cheers fanleaf for the advice. They are in 'seed raising mix' which I bought from the local garden center, I am watering with PH neutral store bought water... I am all new to this whole PH and feeding and hope those 2 things are enough to sustain through the seedling period.

I have 100% Organic soil to use once these 2 are big enough. I got the organic as I read somewhere that with that mix a grower can just water them and all nutrients are in the soil for the plant???

Just keep in mind that when a seedling pops its priority is root development. The roots will be 2-3x the plant size even at that young. Looking at your pics again I would say your roots are for sure bottomed out already. I would moisten your soil. Hold the stem between two fingers to support it and try to take the whole thing out of the cup and snap us a picture of the roots and then place it back in the cup. I would never use any less than an absolute full Solo Cup of soil. If you can like I said make sure the soil is damp so it stays together in one clump and pull it out snap a picture so we can see but that very well could be your problem.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks again Fanleaf. For now those babies aren't getting disturbed - I have grown once before a few years back and know that any disturbance of the roots sets the plant back some, so taking on your tips I may just move them to their main pots in a day or so. I that case if roots are as you say, they can have more room. It is possible the seed raising soil I have isn't good for them...not sure.

Thanks.

Just a quick update - I re-potted both plants. They were not root bound by any means but some of the strands were reaching near the bottom of the small pots. So, onwards and upwards :thumb:

This is my seedling on day 5 from planting germinated seed in soil, I placed the seed in a cup of water for 24 hours then placed seed in wet paper towel for 24 hours then into the pot

I'm using a 36 w LED bulb in a micro grow

420-magazine-mobile358707422.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey CookiesKush - great pic. Thanks, I reckon mine are around this point even though they are a few days older than yours. I mentioned previously I think I may have over-watered initially, could be something up with my seed raising soil...not sure. I also used the same germination technique of glass of water, paper towel, then soil.

I am using 100% Organic in these pots, so now in the mean time I hope for faster growth.

These are fem sativa so my other noob thought was maybe this is normal speed? Next time I grow I will get a fluorescent veg light just for the seedling phase.

Anyway - thanks for that CookiesKush.

Don't worry I'm a total noob first timer myself so just learning and experimenting, mines is a complete compact stealth grow so I'm not hoping to get a huge yield. I've read that sativa grow taller than indica but bare in mind early stages is root development then growth.

Hope the rest of your grow goes well I'll stay tuned

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thought to update this - not sure if I should have made a new post.

Anyway, the growth picked up a bit but there is a mutant. Check the pics of the little mutant and her sister. I looked at some other mutant posts on the forum and am def gonna let the little weirdo grow as she might just come right and it's interesting.

There is a bit of minor discoloration on the larger one, slightly twisted leaves - seems otherwise healthy though.

So these are coming up 3 weeks above soil with one transplant.

Back
Top Bottom