70 year old builds grow room

billyran

Hello everyone , I am a 70 year old from mid Michigan smoked the first time in 1967 , and have been growing for 2 years since getting my medical card.
I started in a 4x4 tent with a blurple light. I found that I love growing this plant , and after 2 years I have out grown the spare bedroom.
I have a 24x32 ft. pole barn that was just full of 16 years of junk.
My wonderful wife said I could do what ever I wanted as long as I saved room for the yard tools. With the help of YouTube I am going to build a 16x24 ft grow room.
I am not sure if this qualifies as a grow journal although I do have three tents of auto flowers in there that I am trying to work around. So if there is an interest I will add more info or the ramblings of an old man.
Thanks

I’m in to follow along, I love building projects! I’ll offer any help I can along the way.

Billyran, Im onboard as a mid-Michigan relatively new grower just some years behind you. When I started smoking it was Columbian Gold, Red, Acapulco Gold, Panama Red, some fine Bolivian and hash...red Lebanese, blond Lebanese, black Nepalese (brings Humble Pie “30 Days in the Hole” to mind)...never had Thai Stick though. Sounds like an ambitious project...perfect. My wife is also supporting my new medical grow activity. Looking forward to updates.

Project is coming along great , I got the dividing wall and door also the rafters up this weekend. It is starting to look good. electrician comes next week then I can hang up some more of my lights. Still have a lot to do , insulation , ceiling , and trying to decide about where to install the exhaust fan , a little nervous about cutting a hole in a metal building. Also trying to decide whether a furnace or a mini split.
Cr8grow are you in Mid Michigan also ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200719_140336.jpg
    IMG_20200719_140336.jpg
    891.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20200718_182735.jpg
    IMG_20200718_182735.jpg
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20200718_114734.jpg
    IMG_20200718_114734.jpg
    923.3 KB · Views: 158
Project is coming along great , I got the dividing wall and door also the rafters up this weekend. It is starting to look good. electrician comes next week then I can hang up some more of my lights. Still have a lot to do , insulation , ceiling , and trying to decide about where to install the exhaust fan , a little nervous about cutting a hole in a metal building. Also trying to decide whether a furnace or a mini split.
Cr8grow are you in Mid Michigan also ?
Originally mid MI, now after living in several states back here in MI on the west coast.

The room I am building is 16x24 , This includes much more than plants , I bought a big sheet of Panda film which I currently have hanging from the rafters to the floor in an area that is about 16x10 , that is for the lights and plants. In the other 16x14 area I have 2 grow tents for drying , clones or whatever , a work bench for plants. A table for me with my rosin press , e-rig and other goodies. Not to mention a zero gravity chair , classic 70s rock playing 24 hours a day and the best for last.
A black light , posters and incense on the way. In 1972 I would have thought this is what heaven would be like.

Hello there.

I'm from mid-MIchigan myself. I built a 12x25' grow room in an existing out-building myself about 8 months ago. If u have any build questions send me a dm. I'd highly recommend a mini-split, a good dehumidifier, and an exhaust fan.
What size exhaust fan are you using , and did you have any problems with mini split keeping it warm enough in the winter

AC infinity 8". Im using a Mr. Cool 24k and had no problems last winter ( was a mild winter for Mich. tho ). It was pretty painless to install too. Im using any Anden 130ppd dehumidifier. At first I thought it was an overkill, but its having a hard time keeping up.

AC infinity 8". Im using a Mr. Cool 24k and had no problems last winter ( was a mild winter for Mich. tho ). It was pretty painless to install too. Im using any Anden 130ppd dehumidifier. At first I thought it was an overkill, but its having a hard time keeping up.
I've been looking at infinity fans I was undecided on what size do you have yours vented to the outside of your building and if so is it on any kind of a louvered air duct. I am having a 100 amp service added next week , that cost a little more than I thought It would I'm on a temporary slow down until I acquire a few more funds and my next thing will probably be insulation , I will be happy if I can get everything done before winter. Mind if I ask what you're running for lights

I've been looking at infinity fans I was undecided on what size do you have yours vented to the outside of your building and if so is it on any kind of a louvered air duct. I am having a 100 amp service added next week , that cost a little more than I thought It would I'm on a temporary slow down until I acquire a few more funds and my next thing will probably be insulation , I will be happy if I can get everything done before winter. Mind if I ask what you're running for lights
I am in Clare Co , mind if I ask what county you live in

Ingham County.

My exhaust fan is vented outside. Under the soffit with a louvered vent. You're going to want vent that moist, hot air. I dont run it as much in the summer. But the other 3 seasons I run it often.

I'm mainly running 630 cmh's. I also have some leds ( mainly v3 redspec budget leds - looks like u use them too? ). I really want to love leds, but I'm still in the air about their performance. My cmh lights seem to do much better. So far anyway. But I will say leds do very well in veg.

I am running all HLG 1- 650r with uv bar , 3 - 550r , 3 - 100v2. I only have 3 going right now , electrical work being done next week then I can use the rest.

Ingham County.

My exhaust fan is vented outside. Under the soffit with a louvered vent. You're going to want vent that moist, hot air. I dont run it as much in the summer. But the other 3 seasons I run it often.

I'm mainly running 630 cmh's. I also have some leds ( mainly v3 redspec budget leds - looks like u use them too? ). I really want to love leds, but I'm still in the air about their performance. My cmh lights seem to do much better. So far anyway. But I will say leds do very well in veg.
I have had suggested to me by a heating company to consider a wall mounted unvented propane heater , I was told as long as no one sleeps in there the plants would love the extra co2 , the only drawback is the extra moisture in the air , but a good dehumidifier would handle it. Any thoughts on that ? Also do you have a fresh air intake coming into your room. Would it possible to vent all hot air out with just exhaust fans without ac. Sorry for all the questions , but I am really just flying by the seat of my pants here.

Back
Top Bottom