Building a Grow Room in the Garage

DaMunchieMan

420 Member
I just bought a new house and moved in this week. I was originally going to use a grow tent to grow but now I have a huge garage which now I'm thinking I should just build a grow room. Of course I have a few questions about the build as my situation is a little bit different than most people.

I am paralyzed and wheelchair-bound therefore just building a grow room with the door doesn't really give me the option to move around with a bunch of plants. My idea was building a grow room about 8ftx3ft or 10ftx3ft with either slider doors like a closet OR a few big swing doors (like 2 per 4ft of grow room).

I'm looking for build ideas to satisfy my needs from all the experts here. The entrance has to be to where I can pull in next to the plants rather than actually go inside of the grow room (I hope that makes sense).

My idea is with a 8x3 or 10x3, I could split it in half so 4 to 5ft of the room is Veg and the other half is flower. And with each half having doors that completely open up so I can pull my wheelchair directly up to or next to to grow area to maintain the ladies.

The reason I like the grow room idea as opposed to the grow tents is:

1) being in a chair I'm too short to reach the zippers and I wont have help all the time.
2) I like the idea of building something that works for my situation.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track with my idea or if you have other input please don't hesitate to let me know I'm looking to start building within the next couple weeks.

I was thinking something similar to this however have the door swing all the way open so they're not in the way. I was thinking sliders like a closet but I think it would be better off more sealed off for environmental reasons. Also don't pay attention to the plant pictures I can't shrink them LOL however I wouldn't mind having them monsters like that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-30-20-48-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-10-30-20-48-01.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 116
Tricky part with those kind of doors is keeping the light in or out (lightproof), if you are going to have ones in Flower and Veg same time in same area especially. Depends where you are at but sometimes in a garage you are fighting temps as can be quite a variance, I converted my shed and it's a battle some times of year keeping temps where they like them.

Hey DaMunchieMan,

Welcome to the forums at 420 Magazine!!

Cool idea, but agree with Dwight, it’s gonna be hard to prevent light leaks with those doors. Maybe instead of tent or building hard walls you could craft something using appropriate height table tops, hanging panda film and/or tarps instead of doors for roll in access from your chair. But also think about other stuff like what media will you grow in, is there a way to raise or lower plants for inspection, trimming or spraying, what about.... drip pans, water runoff, getting water to the garden etc.

Anyway hope we have generated some ideas that will be useful.

Shout out any time

Hey DaMunchieMan,

Welcome to the forums at 420 Magazine!!

Cool idea, but agree with Dwight, it’s gonna be hard to prevent light leaks with those doors. Maybe instead of tent or building hard walls you could craft something using appropriate height table tops, hanging panda film and/or tarps instead of doors for roll in access from your chair. But also think about other stuff like what media will you grow in, is there a way to raise or lower plants for inspection, trimming or spraying, what about.... drip pans, water runoff, getting water to the garden etc.

Anyway hope we have generated some ideas that will be useful.

Shout out any time
I never thought about panda film. Didn't even know that was an option. I'll definitely look into that. I definitely planned on some sort of raised table for the plants to sit on and raise them off the floor.

As for the media I'm pretty set on coco/perlite mix and was thinking dry amendments and top feeds so I just have to water. Also using drip pans and a shop Vac for runoff. Water I have a dedicated supply in the garage that I ran.

Trimming after harvest i found an electric trimmer that I think will work well for my situation. The Trim Daddy.

Put a normal garage rollup door on your grow room and spend money on good flashing including foam on the door. You can have them made to any size including 4 feet wide.
If one can seal a door on a house to the point where one can stand outside on a dark night and not see light leaks, one can do the same with a inside door.
Uninsulated ones are light but automatic openers make them nice.
Tell whoever builds your room to seal the door like they would a north facing door and you will be OK.

I love the ideas and help from EVERYONE!!! You all are amazing. Getting the delivery of 2x4s, insulation, and sheetrock to start the finishing of the garage and building the grow room.

I do have a question...
Should I just paint the ceiling, walls, floor flat white OR wrap room with Diamond Mylar or Regular Mylar?

Also I'm taking in to consideration not needing so much space for Veg, so the 10ft room I'm splitting to 4ft veg, 6ft flower. Gives me enough room in Veg side to run a few Autos while flower side is being if I choose.

As for lights, I'm between:

For the 6ft side:
2x Mars Hydro TSW 2000 300W LED
Or
2x Mars Hydro TSL 2000 300W LED
Or
1x Mars Hydro TS3000 450W LED
Or
1x Spider farmer SF4000 LED 456W

For the 4ft side:
1x Mars Hydro TSW 2000 300W LED
Or
1x Mars Hydro TSL 2000 300W LED
Or
1x Spider farmer SF2000 LED 200W

I like that Mars is a little easier on the wallet.

And for moving that air...
CLOUDLINE T6 6" WITH
TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY CONTROLLER Airflow: 402 CFM

AC INFINITY 6" CARBON FILTER AUSTRALIAN CHARCOAL, 6-INCH Airflow Rating: 410 CFM

Thermo/Hydrometer
Govee WiFi Temperature Humidity $50 Monitor, Wireless Digital Indoor Hygrometer Thermometer with App Alerts

Any thoughts on the projected setup?

If you use drywall in you’re grow area, spend the extra bit of money for green board (also knows as blue board, or aqua board).

helps to keep moisture out of the drywall.

Panda film! :headbanger:

reflects light back at a 99.7% reflectivity rate!!
Great information. I'm putting that in my notes. Good lookin out...Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom