A Grow Journal For a Tiny Apartment - Tent/Soil/CFL

fourier

Hello, and welcome to my latest grow. Let's see if I can make it work this time. I'm also writing it as something of a journal. Maybe it'll be nice to read.

I'm growing afghani, maybe white widow, and a bunch of random bag seed. They are now in plastic cups just sprouting. I'll post the numbers in a bit. Have been annoyed by my expensive white widow seeds having a terrible germination rate. Like 1/10, and it was a male. The other seeds have a great germ rate, so I don't think it's me. Maybe I should contact the seller?

I'm growing in my closet, in a tiny apartment. I bought a grow tent (arriving shortly) that's 22x36x63 inches, which I will put in my closet. I think it's a good size, and it's the first time I've gotten a tent. Looking forward to the greater control afforded me.

Ideally this will be a final soil grow for me. One plant from this grow could become a mother for a small hydro/aero/hempy setup. The grow time is much better, and the control over the process is so nice. I would do a 420fied style grow every time if I had the space/money. Anyway.
For soil I've got a commercial organic potting mix: 1/2 soil, 1/2 peat, perlite, and some limestone. Hm, I'll have to keep an eye on pH. Maybe I'll switch when I repot.

I'm using CFLs. Got some big red ones, but not enough blue ones. Going to have to pick up a pack of the blue ones for the veg cycle.

Lastly, I've got some flower food. Organic, chicken poop derived pellets, 5-3-2.5. Hrm. It was cheap, but should I get a liquid fert or will this do? And how should I apply it?

Anyway, I've got a DSLR w/ 100mm macro and a penchant for photography, so I'm hoping to give you some real pretty pictures. :welcome:

Re: A grow journal for a tiny apartment (tent/soil/CFL)

i think, if i were u, i'd use oc+ or dynomite red in a temp controlled environment, like u have. it's a super easy grow & depending on total alkalinity of u're water (anything under 100), u won't have to worry about ph all the time. if u're filtering u're water u might have to give a little cal-mag once in a while, but other than that it's water & grow. it's controlled release fert. & is cheap. it has micros too. it costs about $20 for a 2lb bottle & will grow out 20/50 plants. just feed u're soil once & u're done. during flower, u might give some snowstorm or make a tea once or twice if u think u need it. just a thought. (see docbud's oc+ grows)

Here are some pictures I took today.
export-0665.jpg

export-1-2.jpg

export-0664.jpg

It's dry in there. I looked up the humidity for the region in afghanistan that afghani comes from, and it's about 20-40 in the spring, then dry in the summer, so I'm not worried.
I think I will order some osmocote plus. Looks like an easy way to fertilize.

What do y'all think? It looks like I'll have two afghan and maybe four bag seeds. Fine with me for this attempt. Would like to get two good females out of it, and at least one afghan.

i think u made a wise choice w/tent purchase. it'll afford u much more control over u're grow. there's plenty of people on this site that'll tell u they couldn't grow w/out them. also, wise choice of fert.

check info on lights..i think u use blue light for veg and red light for flower...me i use both...just my thoughts

Yep, got four 32W 6500K CFLs in there now. Will add more as needed. :roorrip:

Mail-order seeds are always at risk of irradiation from X-rays and other forms of security scanning, especially if you buy them from overseas. I had a similar low germ rate with my first and last online seed purchase from a well known seed bank in Holland. Fortunately a few photos of the dead seeds and deformed seedlings was enough for the store I bought from to issue a full refund.

Definitely worth trying to get your money back since this is a common problem that seed vendors are fully aware of. If they play dumb, you know they are not being up front with you!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

yeah, gold, & they use gamma rays at some ports of entry. that'll destroy electronics & erase/destroy cd's/dvd's, & seeds, if hit, will not germ at all....just empty hulls.

Today's update. Looking good all around. The middle and back right are the afghan, and the others are all bagseed. Thinking the two quick ones in the front might be males, or they might just be a quick breed. We'll see.

export-0688.jpg

so far, they look healthy. nothing wrong there. some phenos of the same strain start quicker than others. i've had late starters end up being my star plants.

so far, they look healthy. nothing wrong there. some phenos of the same strain start quicker than others. i've had late starters end up being my star plants.

Yeah, I'm not worried at all. This is going to be a very relaxed but high-quality grow. I'm not going to touch the plants at all. OC+ when I repot. Other than that, they are up to nature. Well, I'll probably top them before they flower.

Last time my grow was killed because the petioles that remained when I trimmed the fan leaves got moldy when the plant let them go. So my attention killed the plant. That, and bad nutes. So this time no touching.

Thanks for following along. I'm trying to make an example of what can be done on a small budget and with little effort.

if & when u top, be sure to clean u're cutting instrument between plants so u're not transmitting disease from one plant to the other. don't make my mistake.

if & when u top, be sure to clean u're cutting instrument between plants so u're not transmitting disease from one plant to the other. don't make my mistake.

Last time I dipped the trimmer in rubbing alcohol between each cut, then dried it on a paper towel, which I think I'll do again. :)

Hey nice grow setup, I have a pretty cheap grow going on too, I spent less than 20 bucks and I had some supplies already laying around. I'm not going to top them this time though.

Cool, thanks for checking out my grow. Looks like you might have gotten a slow start, but they've really taken off for you. I'm hoping to see some of the same. Have you gotten more lights? Under 100 watts of CFL isn't going to do much in flowering, I'd think.

All right, I've got a question and an update:
What size grow bags should I pick up for the first transplant? I was thinking I'd get some 2 gallon bags for next week, then transplant the females to 5 gallon bags when I cull the males a few weeks into flowering.

Humidity is up (it rained all day), and the temp is fine. The plants are really looking good. The controlled environment and clean operation of the tent makes it so worth the cash.

export-07091.jpg

i think i'd just transplant into 3gal since u're using cfl's. it'll save 1 more shock (of transplanting) & when u cull males u could just save the soil & reuse it. i don't believe they'll get roorbound unless u're plants require a long flower. just a thought....somebody else weigh in here w/thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom