A Hempy Bucket Junkies Adventures N Observations - Noob's Guide Ongoing

Pophamseasmok

:welcome: I'll be the first to say I'm a noob. But have been doing tons of reading up on "The Hempy Bucket" and thought it may help some folks to clear up a few things. I've found a couple misconceptions about the hempy while reading thru tons and tons of journals. I've seen alot of people going down the wrong path and starting off wrong always sucks. I believe there are millions of ways to configure your Hempy Bucket.

But the one thing that makes a hempy a hempy is the RES. If you are putting holes in the very bottom of the container then you are just making a recycled planter and not getting the benefits of a hempy. From all Iv'e researched this what I believe a true hempy is any size container from solo cup to 100 gallon drum that only has drain holes on the sides in small solo cups 1/2 in or so only one hole for 2lt and 3lt I do 3 holes the same size(pics to come). Then on my 3 gallon I use a 1/2 inch paddle bit only one whole 2 inches up and put a small piece of screen over the whole to hold in the perlite or your choice of medium.

Now you fill your hempy to the top of the res hole you made. There are many choices for this perlite,lava rocks, hydroton. Choices go on and on. The importance of the res is to hold Nutes and added moisture for your plants. where as with the holes in the bottom everything just runs out and the roots stop growing when they reach the bottom of the container. Not with the hempy they will continue to grow. The limited amount of holes also allows to slow feed the plant. I do mine with 15% percent run off depending on the size of Bucket. here is a few pics of how I make mine. I welcome all added info in this thread that anyone thinks will help.
SP32-20130311-212040.jpg

SP32-20130311-211820.jpg

SP32-20130311-212622.jpg

SP32-20130311-212736.jpg

SP32-20130311-214117.jpg

SP32-20130311-213318.jpg

SP32-20130311-213504.jpg

I will be adding to this as I know I'm forgetting a bunch. As well all the great knowelable folks on here helping to clear up the misconceptions of the hempy! Also a small tip mark your buckets over the hole makes it easy to check for run off I hope this helps.

I'm starting dwc. But for me coco for hempy only. Its very forgiving in power outage and coco is neutral so you only get out of it what you put in. I've got 20 gallon hempy tubs now. I will probably always keep my moms in big hempys They can go for a week without watering if needed like last month during ice storm didn't lose a plant and can start over. :cheesygrinsmiley::ganjamon: Keep'em green

Have you mixed
:welcome: I'll be the first to say I'm a noob. But have been doing tons of reading up on "The Hempy Bucket" and thought it may help some folks to clear up a few things. I've found a couple misconceptions about the hempy while reading thru tons and tons of journals. I've seen alot of people going down the wrong path and starting off wrong always sucks. I believe there are millions of ways to configure your Hempy Bucket.

But the one thing that makes a hempy a hempy is the RES. If you are putting holes in the very bottom of the container then you are just making a recycled planter and not getting the benefits of a hempy. From all Iv'e researched this what I believe a true hempy is any size container from solo cup to 100 gallon drum that only has drain holes on the sides in small solo cups 1/2 in or so only one hole for 2lt and 3lt I do 3 holes the same size(pics to come). Then on my 3 gallon I use a 1/2 inch paddle bit only one whole 2 inches up and put a small piece of screen over the whole to hold in the perlite or your choice of medium.

Now you fill your hempy to the top of the res hole you made. There are many choices for this perlite,lava rocks, hydroton. Choices go on and on. The importance of the res is to hold Nutes and added moisture for your plants. where as with the holes in the bottom everything just runs out and the roots stop growing when they reach the bottom of the container. Not with the hempy they will continue to grow. The limited amount of holes also allows to slow feed the plant. I do mine with 15% percent run off depending on the size of Bucket. here is a few pics of how I make mine. I welcome all added info in this thread that anyone thinks will help.
SP32-20130311-212040.jpg

SP32-20130311-211820.jpg

SP32-20130311-212622.jpg

SP32-20130311-212736.jpg

SP32-20130311-214117.jpg

SP32-20130311-213318.jpg

SP32-20130311-213504.jpg

I will be adding to this as I know I'm forgetting a bunch. As well all the great knowelable folks on here helping to clear up the misconceptions of the hempy! Also a small tip mark your buckets over the hole makes it easy to check for run off I hope this helps.
Have you tried using more than one medium for hempys? Like a soil cap to hold moisture or putting a solo cup seedling in soil into perlite? I've been reading up on these and trying to find what will work best for higher inside temps.

Back
Top Bottom