A little help from my friends

Wookiecub

I'm really looking forward to my first grow. I'm using cfl's a lot to do with money also was a little worried about high temps other lights give off with my space being a small closet. I'm just getting things prepared so I could use some advice. I just purchased a 250watt 6500k cfl with a hood. I was thinking on getting 2 more to go on each side. I was going to get maybe 2 45watt 2700k. I'm not sure because what I have read mostly supports only 6500k for veg. What I'm growing is a afghan auto. I'm sure a lot of this is trail and error. Doesn't hurt to reach out. My space is like 3X3X7. Thanks in advance.

the high wattage cfl lamps still give off a decent amount of heat from the base of the globe.
a 1 meter square x 2 meter closet would house a 400watt hps given the right ventilation no probs , 3 x 250 watt cfl would produce as much heat as 1 x hps

How much does one CFL system cost? You may be able to buy a cheep LED whit that money and it will shame CFL's. Actually the LED might be a little more expensive but ... I hate CFL's. lol I may be able to help you get a LED w/o paying for it. PM me if you are interested and I'll try to hook you up!

I'm doing my first grow with CFLs, also for financial reasons, and out of caution for the higher heat generated by other types of lighting. I should be harvesting soon, so we'll see if I get a decent amount under what I have. If it is piss-poor, then I'll do some research into LEDs and maybe outfit one of the grow closets to raise my next harvest levels.

It's not likely that I'll be getting any $ back on my investment, since its being kept in the family, however.

Well after doing a lot of research on cfl's. It's crazy all the information. Like the high wattage cfls give out less lumens per watt and the amount of lumens per square foot for a good grow. It can go on forever. I already ordered a 250 watt cfl with hood and everything. Well after ordering I said screw it. This Friday I'm also going to break down and get a 400watt hps with a hood also. I look at this like a hobby. I just love it how some peeps become very snobby over what gear and techniques they use. Not on this thread just others I have browsed through. Not everyone has tons of money to throw at there newly aquired hobby. So enough talk about the master growers that don't have patience for the low budget guys that might use miracle grow nutes if in a pinch hahaha. So some questions for the phriendly and kind growers with some experience. So my space is roughly about 8 to 7 square feet. I was only going to do 1-2 plants with cfls. After some research to me it just didn't seem worth it to waste all that space and fill that room with cfls. So to question 1 is it ok to put my 250watt cfl with the 400watt hps. Also would the hps be enough alone to do 5-6 plants so in due time my 250watt cfl could maybe be the sun for a mama plant. I haven't done any work to my space yet I'm in no rush. I have waited over 30 years to do this so why rush it. Well I know I need to do some upgraded ventaltion with the hps going in. Any recommendations for what to use. Also is it ok to just vent into another room in the house rather then outside. Would rather have house have the smell then pump it outside and risk having the neighbors smelling it. I can use all the help I can get and I appreciate it all thanks a lot. I also will be journaling with pics. When I get all my supplies and lights together. Then I will pic my medium and nutes. I can't wait it's killing me. Well just like Heinz "the best that comes to those who wait". Oh shit Heinz isn't organic hahahahaha. Take care guys thanks

Venting into another room, or even through the floor to your crawl space are good ideas if you need to be that stealthy.

I also have a very small grow: 8 SF for flower and 8 SF for veg, using household CFLs. One of these areas has an upper shelf with a separate timer for rooted clones, so I guess that increases my veg area to 16 SF. But I still only have 11 plants all totaled.

After doing some research on my own and getting thoroughly lost (the whole LED discussion was way over my head), I came to the conclusion that one can grow cheaply, simply, and with the least amount of heat build-up with cfl's. If you happen to be home when the sun is blasting through your windows, bring your ladies out of the closet for a sunbath!

I do know that multiple bulbs are better than 1 because each bulb has a radius of light, beyond which effective light drops off dramatically. So you can supplement with cfls and even side mount them to get the lower branches.

In my case, I have a pair of bulbs for each plant, and the ladies are close enough to each other to share the lights.

What I have learned is that the high watt bulbs give out less lumens per watt. So my 250watt bulb gives something like 46 lumens per watt so that like 11,500 rounding. They say for the best grows with cfls you need 5,000 to 7,000 per square ft and something like 2,000 to 3,000 per square ft at minimum. I was thinking about adding to 60 watt 65k bulbs on each side with splitters but after all that is done to me it just seems like to much farting around. I think that dropping the 400watt hps will eliminate the hole lumens thing and my plants will have enough. I know this is something you learn more by doing it hands on. But it doesn't hurt learning as much as possible before jumping in. About the venting I thought it was best to do it on top on your grow because heat rises. Also what kind of vent fan should I look for. Will a 8in fan be enough. Also do you think that the one hps will be enough for 5 plants when I pull out the 250watt cfl for my clones when I get to that point. Thanks

I use clip-on and stand-supplied 6" desk fans everywhere. They are cheap and they are movable. I left the top of one of my spaces partly open. It's a wardrobe converted to a grow tent. It doesn't build up heat, but it naturally vents to the room and out the window (which has a fan facing outside). In your case, you can vent it to a more secure area with dryer venting.

I planned on cutting a hole in my wall that lead into my bedroom that has it's own ac wall unit in it. Just need to know what kind of fan would work best to suck warm air out. You said a standard desk fan would be sufficient enough. Sounds good. Thanks for the tip. From what I have read it's very important to keep fresh air coming in and co2 going out in a flow while maintains temps. Also I'm going to need help with nutes that seems to me like the most difficult part of the grow and very essential. By that time I might have to go low end. Any suggestions. Also you start giving very small quanties after a week after sprouting. I forget during veg you need phosphorus then nitrogen for flower. I heard something about Alaskan fish fert. Would that be good for veg

Fish fertilizer can leave a really bad-tasting residue on the buds. However, if it's watered down enough (like used aquarium fish water), you can use it during veg, but I don't recommend it for flower. I did use brown-sugar water for most of the flowering phase (since I couldn't find molasses).

I'm using low-end nutes for Veg (higher in N) and tomato flowering nutes (lower in N) for early flower. Since they are solid pellets, that don't dissolve well in pots, I'm crushing them and adding them to their sugar water for feeding (1/4 strength).

Two weeks before harvest, I am using just plain water on the flowering ladies, but still using diluted nutes for veg.

Clones should not be fed nutes until they have been transplanted to their big-girl pots and have recovered. You will end up with nute burn if you feed them too much. It's better to alternate feedings with plain water. (I use tap water). Less is better with indoor plants of any kind, because the soil can get too "hot" and kill them.

Ok so here's the deal. I have been doing tons of research before I dive head first into the wonderful world of growing. Have been back and forth with my choices of different lights. I purchased a 250 watt cfl but after reading a lot I just thought it would be a little crazy getting 3 or 4 more cfls for my small closet. that is like 3 1/2 ft maybe 4ft by 2 ft and like 7 ft tall. I have been looking at a 400 watt hps. Now here comes the problem thats been racking my brain VENTALATION. I really would love to put both the hps and the cfl in or maybe do cfls for seedlings then jump to the hps when ready. Just need a little input. This is a closet that's not by a window I could go right through the roof for my outtake but i live in florida so it might do more harm than good. What I was thinking was to cut a hole almost at the top on the side of the closet leading to my bedroom. The room is often pretty cool because I have a window a/c unit. Then maybe cutting a hole in the door as a in take. Ok let's say I put the 400 watt hps in and it's not a air cool tube one. Do you thing if I cut that hole in the wall for my outtake and mount a fan sucking out hot air and blowing air into my bedroom. Then running the fan through my door for the intake. Also another fan for the plants. I would not be using any a/c ducting. I also will be keeping door open whenever possible. Do you believe I can keep temps at a good level with this kind of setup. Or do you think i should get a cool tube and set it all up with ducting. Also this might be a rookie question but do those set ups with the cool tube just keep light temps down or do they also vent room?. Money is a problem. It would set me back on my grow a little bit. With all this I'm thinking on the cfls and rigging the ghetto style venting. Because they don't give off as much heat. I just really want things like temps and humidity and getting good air flow to my babies. My biggest worry is about heat. I just want to be as ready as I can. And not be a total failure because I rushed it and didn't do my homework. It's a lot of fun researching and learning but good amount of this stuff you just have to dive in and find out for yourself. This site had been a huge help and the people have been awesome. Thanks for any help. I will be starting a journal when up and running might be a couple weeks before the ball is rolling.

I was thinking about this last night, believe it or not. What if you run a fan all the time on your ladies, so that the leaves rustle in the breeze? Since leaves give off water vapor, this evaporation should keep the temps down on your plants, even though the ambient temperature is higher than ideal? You COULD put a vent in the upper level of your closet door (or the wall), which will greatly improve air movements in the closet, and prevent bud rot and condensation. (hot air rises)

If you make the vent large enough, you might be able to mount a cheapo fan (6"), facing out, to help suck out the warm air.

No ducting needed in such a small space. And you can always patch the wall (or replace the closet door) when you move.

Thanks AK. So you really think that a little 6" fan for the outtake and a bigger fan at the base of the door pumping fresh air in. The door will be open sometimes. You think that will do the trick. I believe I have my mind made up on the 400watt hps. Just want to be prepared for everything. It's going to be interesting. So you also don't think I need a air cooled tube. It's crazy with this stuff you set out in one direction and end up in a total different spot. Got to love it.

They work for me!

My 6" fans blow the crap outta my ladies! LOL! Early on, I had them set to low. but my exhaust fans are set to high, ep when the odor sets in mid - late flower!

I went the cheapo route because I'm on a fixed income. As neat and tidy as the manufactured grow tents and outfits look, I simply cannot afford them. So I went with a wardrobe and a closet for veg and flower and household clip-on CFLs (13 and 23 watts), and a white tarp and blankets to cover the wardrobe with. I lined the closet with white tarp, too, because I didn't want to paint the walls and the inside of the sliding doors white. It also provides some protection from the moisture and spills.

Other equipment is an assortment of desk fans and a double-fan unit in the window to pull air out. One CAN use a 20" square box fan for the window, weather permitting. These are really inexpensive at the big box stores.

Looks like hell, but it's in a North-facing bedroom nobody sees but me. And it works! ;-)

Sounds good as long as it works. I think I have made my mind up. I'm going with the 400watt hps with the 6" cool tube. Then going to hook up 6" fan to it and run hot air out the closet with the dryer duct. Just have heard so much about heat with the hps lights. Do you think that will also ventilate the room to. As I said earlier with fan at the base of the door bringing in fresh air. Also if I go this route it will set me back on my grow. How long can i go seedling into veg 1 plant on 1 250 cfl. I need about 2 weeks to get light and fan. And everything set up.

Back
Top Bottom