A Little Help Needed To Evaluate Trichomes

Yep the trimming rush this year is like the crop, rather unprecedented but not unexpected. The last of the ladies will be chopped today, with the 8 footer nearly dry (thanks to fans). The Khalifa Kush and GG4 rest in their jars, curing. All's right with the world. Onward.

For us, number two of five will be chopped tomorrow morning. Probably 5 person trimming party - hope to yield approx 12 oz. from that one. The other three probably 3 weeks out still.

What strain was your 8-footer? We have a Sour Diesel that is just about 7 ft.

I cannot say BeezLuiz. It was in theory Afghan Kush, its mates were around 6+ ft and a darker color. From the leaves and size I'm guessing more than a bit of Sativa genes are doing their thing. I wait for the cure to complete before I partake, so It's a WAG until then. I only grow my legal 6 plants and it's much more than enough so this outlier is more of intellectual interest if its product is lacking. I grow primarily to work and learn. Each year I try a new strain with the familiar, in 2019 it's White Widow.

I kinda have the same philosophy. Started the grow this year as an experiment and learned a ton. We grew 5 different varieties and it's really interesting to see the differences between them all. I enjoy gardening (grow veggies every year) so this was a natural progression for me.

We're already discussing what to try for next season: seeds instead of clones (would love to try White Widow). Maybe experiment with different pruning techniques, etc.

I kinda have the same philosophy. Started the grow this year as an experiment and learned a ton. We grew 5 different varieties and it's really interesting to see the differences between them all. I enjoy gardening (grow veggies every year) so this was a natural progression for me.

We're already discussing what to try for next season: seeds instead of clones (would love to try White Widow). Maybe experiment with different pruning techniques, etc.
I'm an avid gardener, too.
I think gardening has made me a better grower (and vice versa). You might want to check out the Chile Pepper thread in my signature block, lotsa produce shots.

Grow on!

Yep the trimming rush this year is like the crop, rather unprecedented but not unexpected. The last of the ladies will be chopped today, with the 8 footer nearly dry (thanks to fans). The Khalifa Kush and GG4 rest in their jars, curing. All's right with the world. Onward.
Congrats & kudos for getting it all done & in!

Now, you just need to figure out what to do with it all!

Don't forget to let us know how it smokes...

You could just gift someone 1oz every 5 seconds for about a minute!

I'm always out to do more with less.

In the following I usually use about a full shopping bag of trimmed fan leaves (wash 'em first)

My simple oil:

Spread leaves & trim on a baking sheet & decarb at 230F for 45 min. (easy enough to decarb in oil, too).

I break up the brittle decarbed leaves in a cast iron dutch oven w/ enough extra virgin olive oil to cover (I seldom measure anything). Give it a stir & then:

Put it in the oven set at 190F. My oven's pretty accurate--I've I spot checked the ambient temp+that of the oil, both have always been nearly 190F. Let it go for two hours.

Some folks use the lecithin, but I don't---I never have any, because I don't use it in anything else & I won't buy single-purpose items.

Cool & strain through tripled up cheescloth (I don't mind the cannabits anyway).

About a teaspoon gets me pretty ripped. Mellooooooooooow high.

The oil tastes just like the weed, which is pretty durn tasty.

Easy! & nothing much to clean up, too. This technique doesn't require any added gear, double boil set up, machines, or the cleanup of all that other stuff.

Also let's see if grower extraordinaire @newty answers the bat phone on this thread...I know she's a big fan leaf oil fan.

For more ornate, gear-intensive (and messier) approaches check out Fresh Harvest Infused Cannabis Oil
Nice recipe. I will give it a whirl.

I plan to include the sticky stems as well, only the sticky ones. Waste not, want not Dr. Franklin reminded us. Or the metaphor of the Chicago stockyards where it was said everything got used but the squeal. What if one with an ample supply used nugs and trim instead. The recipe is similar to what I use for canna butter methinks, the oil becomes an edibles alternative.

I plan to include the sticky stems as well, only the sticky ones. Waste not, want not Dr. Franklin reminded us. Or the metaphor of the Chicago stockyards where it was said everything got used but the squeal. What if one with an ample supply used nugs and trim instead. The recipe is similar to what I use for canna butter methinks, the oil becomes an edibles alternative.
Ralph Nader called Franklin "the most remarkable and accomplished of any of the framers"
I'm fond of Franklin's: "the failure to plan is a plan for failure." He had many wonderful aphorisms.

I'm an avid gardener, too.
I think gardening has made me a better grower (and vice versa).

Grow on!

I wholeheartedly agree! This year's tomatoes and last year's peppers :)
20180830_110135.jpg 20171105_091748.jpg

Que bonita!

Back
Top Bottom