A mysterious issue

ChiliConCarnage

420 Member
Hey 420. So, I would very much like to start growing again, but I have had an issue with both my previous grows which I can't pin down.

Both grows were done in an under-pressured wardrobe (~2'x2' in size), with 250W CFL lights. The difference was grow 1 was in soil while grow 2 was in DWC. They both grew beautifully, filled the space up nicely, they were bushy as heck and flowered in a timely fashion, though did not provide a very big yield. However, they both had the exact same problem: They didn't smell anything (throughout the grow or after harvest) unless I held the buds right up to my nose, the taste was terrible, almost mouldy (though there was no mould), and while it did give a high to a small degree, what it mostly did was give a headache (even though that was what I smoked it to prevent...)

I used GHE nutrients for both, organics for the soil grow and hydro for the DWC grow. I used some advanced nutrients, but I can't remember the brand, and I used root accelerator (?) and diamond nectar. I was very careful to maintain PH, and as close to the recommended nutrient dosage as the PPMs could support.

I had an inline fan much bigger than required which provided a lot of circulation, and in addition I had a large diameter oscillating fan to make it even more airy.

In the soil grow I had no additional CO2, but with the DWC I brewed prison hooch in the wardrobe to provide some CO2, but it didn't look as if it was enough to give a noticeable effect (but it did provide some nice cider-like beverage, whose effect was greater than that of the plant.)

I think the humidity was too low in both grows, but the leaves were springy, deep green, there was no discolouration, the leaves were not crinkly or dry. I did not have any insect or pest infestation, but in the DWC grow I did get some algae in the beginning because some light got through the clay pellets in the net-pot, but I cleared it quite quickly with a period of regular hydrogen peroxide treatments. No such issues in the soil grow, though.

I hope I've given enough information for someone to recognize the issue, because I'd really like to start growing again, but I'm afraid I'll just run into the same problem if I can't isolate and resolve it. If further information is needed, I'll be more than happy to provide if I can. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Happy growing to you.

Hey 420. So, I would very much like to start growing again, but I have had an issue with both my previous grows which I can't pin down.

Both grows were done in an under-pressured wardrobe (~2'x2' in size), with 250W CFL lights. The difference was grow 1 was in soil while grow 2 was in DWC. They both grew beautifully, filled the space up nicely, they were bushy as heck and flowered in a timely fashion, though did not provide a very big yield. However, they both had the exact same problem: They didn't smell anything (throughout the grow or after harvest) unless I held the buds right up to my nose, the taste was terrible, almost mouldy (though there was no mould), and while it did give a high to a small degree, what it mostly did was give a headache (even though that was what I smoked it to prevent...)

I used GHE nutrients for both, organics for the soil grow and hydro for the DWC grow. I used some advanced nutrients, but I can't remember the brand, and I used root accelerator (?) and diamond nectar. I was very careful to maintain PH, and as close to the recommended nutrient dosage as the PPMs could support.

I had an inline fan much bigger than required which provided a lot of circulation, and in addition I had a large diameter oscillating fan to make it even more airy.

In the soil grow I had no additional CO2, but with the DWC I brewed prison hooch in the wardrobe to provide some CO2, but it didn't look as if it was enough to give a noticeable effect (but it did provide some nice cider-like beverage, whose effect was greater than that of the plant.)

I think the humidity was too low in both grows, but the leaves were springy, deep green, there was no discolouration, the leaves were not crinkly or dry. I did not have any insect or pest infestation, but in the DWC grow I did get some algae in the beginning because some light got through the clay pellets in the net-pot, but I cleared it quite quickly with a period of regular hydrogen peroxide treatments. No such issues in the soil grow, though.

I hope I've given enough information for someone to recognize the issue, because I'd really like to start growing again, but I'm afraid I'll just run into the same problem if I can't isolate and resolve it. If further information is needed, I'll be more than happy to provide if I can. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Happy growing to you.

Agreed that the CO2 would not have made any difference. That being said, you didn't mention what strains you were growing, a flush, or a cure anywhere in your post and those are the three biggest factors to quality, taste & smell! ;)

Lack of taste/smell can be genetics/strain along with other variables, start there as you didn't say if good genetics or bag seed or what. Does your cabinet have intake and exhaust fans to replace the air inside with fresh air?

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Agreed that the CO2 would not have made any difference. That being said, you didn't mention what strains you were growing, a flush, or a cure anywhere in your post and those are the three biggest factors to quality, taste & smell! ;)

The strain in the soil grow was Northern Lights, and the DWC was something called Sharkbreath I think, that I got as a freebie. In the DWC I flushed several times during veg as part of the hydrogen peroxide treatment, and once during bloom, and then for the last two weeks before harvest I gave it only water (I had read here on 420 that this would get rid of some "chemical taste"). I cured for two weeks in glass containers that I aired out twice per day, with only a couple of buds in each container. For the soil grow I flushed once during veg and once during bloom, I didn't have the two week period of only water here, as I hadn't read that particular tip yet, and I cured the same way as the DWC.

Lack of taste/smell can be genetics/strain along with other variables, start there as you didn't say if good genetics or bag seed or what. Does your cabinet have intake and exhaust fans to replace the air inside with fresh air?

I grew Northern Lights and Sharkbreath. No bag seed. I think they were from Sensi Seeds or Barney's, but I don't remember where I ordered from. Both cabs had two 2" passive intakes, and a 6" inline extraction fan with a capacity of 180m3/h (so way more than needed.)

I don't know how the Sharkbreath was supposed to smell and taste like, but I have had Northern Lights both from growers in my country, and in coffee shops in Amsterdam, and I know how it should taste and smell, and the plant I grew had exactly zero cannabis smell from 1" away, and awful taste. I've been in some grow rooms that's had flowering plants, and the smell was very nearly overpowering the moment I entered, but my plants just smelled like regular green plants in a greenhouse.

Thanks again for the quick replies, and for taking an interest. It's highly appreciated.

Dwight Monk Yep. They're bad, as they're taken with an old phone, but maybe they'll shed some light.

This is the basic setup of the DWC wardrobe. The reservoir was placed on top of the shelf once the seedling was in place.
20130421_020323.jpg

This is before the second and last leaf cutting.
20131115_152120.jpg

And in flower. I think it was a couple of weeks in. It's unfortunately the latest one I have.
20131115_133408.jpg

And one of the leaves from the day I switched from 18/6 to 12/12.
20131115_193901.jpg

These are the only ones I could salvage from the old account.

Were they autos? Did you keep a journal? How long did they veg and flower? I'm guessing it had something to do with the flowering stage. When you harvest the plant most of the smell is the decomposing flowers. What did it smell like right before you cut them down and when you were drying them?

Hey Calvados. They weren't autos, and stupidly (or lazily, I suppose), I didn't keep a journal.. For the DWC, I guesstimate that they were in veg for 3-4 weeks, maybe longer. For flower, I'm not sure, but a long time, maybe double or around that. I'm pretty sure it was close to the time it said on the site I bought it from.

When I harvested, they smelled like inside a vegetable greenhouse. What I associate with "green plant smell." Maybe a bit mouldy, but I'm certain there was no mould. As they cured they smelled nice for a plant, but it didn't smell like cannabis, and when smoked they tasted acrid, mouldy and awful, and they gave a head-ache inducing high that felt "heavy" (not as in "high as hell", couch-lock heavy, but like my head was literally heavy.)

EDIT: Oh, and both grows did this, which is what I find so weird, and makes me think I did something wrong somewhere, but I can't pin down what.

For the DWC, I guesstimate that they were in veg for 3-4 weeks, maybe longer. For flower, I'm not sure, but a long time, maybe double or around that. I'm pretty sure it was close to the time it said on the site I bought it from.

Time frame on those sites is a rough guess and not anything to go by. Most strains take a minimum of 8 weeks in Flower (albeit some 7 weeks, just not any I have grown yet), Sativa dominant or all out Sativa's can go 12 weeks or more sometimes. By that I'm guessing you may have harvested early, but w/o any pics of the girls before you chopped them it is just a guess.

How long did they hang to dry before they went into jars for curing? Were you measuring humidity in jars with one of them stick gauges or just winging it? Though we have smoked slightly wet "oopsies" when trimming and it didn't affect smell and taste all that much, so I'm still wondering if the strain or phenotypes you ended up with. The smell has me wondering, but looks/sounds like you should have enough air exchange going on to keep fresh air coming in.

From your description of the smell and the pictures of healthy plants, I'd say you chopped them down WAY too early. There is also the drying part. Most plants hang for 10 days. If you chopped them really early, I'd guess you would have to hang them for much longer. There is also the curing part. Anyway I'd chalk this up to learning. I'd make oil out of what you have or chuck it. You shouldn't be too discouraged. I think you just lacked experience to know that what the seed guys say and what you do are 2 different things. If you had a successful harvest within their time frame, it would almost be a coincidence. You harvest based on the color of the trichomes end of story. Time frames are at best a guideline.

You had some very healthy looking plants in veg and early flowering. Do that again, but keep a journal this time and take pictures during the different stages. Go to the journals section on this site and have a browse. There are lots of examples, and tonnes of information.

:welcome::reading420magazine::passitleft:

All right, thank you guys for taking the time to help a guy out. It does sound as if I harvested early and/or didn't dry enough before curing. I did just wing the curing. I went with the general tips I read here on 420, so leaving the buds in jars, airing them out a couple times per day. I just find it really strange that the grow ops I've visited during flowering has smelled incredibly strong, from the moment there are visible flowers, and mine never developed any cannabis smell at all.

I will try again, and try to be more thorough throughout. I'll have to save up some cash to get the new gear, but stay tuned for a wardrobe DWC journal. ;)

Thank you again for your assistance, it's wonderful to be a new guy and be welcomed so warmly.

Back
Top Bottom