A question about the electricity bill

Madvillain

I'm planning to start my op soon
but I was just wondering if I'm growing like a 2 - 3 plants at a time
how much would the electricity bill would be?

I don't want raise suspicision but would the electricity bill be noticably larger when doing an operation?

yep what shaggy said. When I went to flowering with a 400watt hps, 2 175cfm vent fans, and a reg fan it went up only about $30-$40 a month.(dont know what the rate was though) Not to noticable. I sure didnt have any problems or I dont think I'd be here.

my electricity bill is less than 50$ with 6 LED panels and 4 cfl's in my closet.

HID will run more

I have a bloom box and a producer from BC Northern Lights, the 1 has 2 400w hps, and bloom box has 1 400w hps, each one runs less power than my fridge. about $30. extra per month for both.
Electric companies usually dont pay attention unless it was way higher bill, they understand people may consume more electricity or may have bought extra fridge for garage, Tanning bed, etc. I wouldnt worry!!

im using a 400w hps, 250 w MH, and 2 100w clfs when needed... we got our A/c pumpin a lot more to keep the room and the house cool during our 110+ highs.. and we have a circuler fan running on them.. and two intake fans...one connected to ducting to the a/c vent, and one connected to the room door.. and we have an outake fan at the top of the room.... oh and we run a time hydro enviroment with pump.. and our bill has went up from 75$ to 100$

I'm running 2 1000w Hps for flower and 1 600w Hps for veg. DaMagoMan is 100% correct. "Just pay it and don't steal it, you'll be fine".

I have friends that are running 10 - 20 1000w Hps with no problem.

Yeah you steal it and they are gonna come looking

My neighbors were stealing my electric a few months ago. They got evicted and the wiring got straightened out and i set up my grow space. My electric was cut in half what it was before even with the grow lights running 24/0 as well as a new 600 watt air conditioner 24/0.

wtf? I just got my electric bill today and it is $450. 2 bedroom townhouse/apt with 2 x 400W hps, 6 x 23watt cfls, 2 ft floro 449 cfm vortex fan, 117cfm fantech fan, and some house fans. Last month it was $250. Only real difference was I added the 2nd 400w HPS. Big fans and lights only run 12/12. I'm getting raped.

It's only going to get worse, LEDs pay off fast in high cost areas. Check out superled (google it) grow light - 1/4th the power and they do work..

I've been looking into it. According to my math and what the electric company is charging me my 2 x 400x hps lights are costing me $62 a month so I think the big difference is the fact I've had my central air blasting 24/7 for the last month to keep the room cool and the rest of the place frigid. They don't let us put window ac units in here or I would run a small one just for the room. I'll have to try and look at it to see what it is rated at for consumption. It should get better with cooler temps coming and I can just vent cool air in through the window. Maybe I'll look into some led's for next summer. I'd like to see someone do a grow journel with strictly leds and see how the yields and potency come out. Thanks for the advice.

A typical a/c unit is 5k watts and loads even higher. It's the a/c costing the money, not the lamps. LED saves a lot on the a/c bill, so it's something to figure into when you look at the initial investment cost.

Yeah thats what I'm figuring, the a/c is killing the bill. What is the max sustained temp plants will still thrive in? I killed the a/c earlier today and my grow room went to about 89-90 degrees. Starts to smell dank at that temp too. Atleast cooler temps will be here soon. Maybe I should try to switch the lights to run at night when its cooler? I really don't want neighbors hearing fan noise in the quiet night though.

Do we know anyone who has gone through a grow with those superled's? It looks nice and they say its equiv to a 400w hps. 2 would run $1300. Their website says out of stock so people must be buying them up. I don't doubt they grow plants but am curious if they effect potency.

I've been using the superleds and they do work. Haven't done a side by side with a 400W HID but I think it's at least close. It's best for shorter plants 3 feet or so. They run completely cool, so definitely would save on the A/C.

They are really a copy of the procyon-100, which is in stock. They use the same cree LEDs but the procyon doesn't have a dimmer (not something you need anyway).

Both of these are better then the UFO I think, but I haven't tested it.

I've been using the superleds and they do work. Haven't done a side by side with a 400W HID but I think it's at least close. It's best for shorter plants 3 feet or so. They run completely cool, so definitely would save on the A/C.

They are really a copy of the procyon-100, which is in stock. They use the same cree LEDs but the procyon doesn't have a dimmer (not something you need anyway).

Both of these are better then the UFO I think, but I haven't tested it.

Don't mean to hijack any threads sorry to the original poster...

Cool, do you have a journel going with the light? Which model are you using? Have you smoked any harvested buds with a complete led grow? Do you use the led for the whole grow or use floro for veg than go led for flower? Thanks

I'm using the superleds in a cabinet. I've tested other LEDs and these are the best by far. Here is the thread:
LED cabinet update

Potency and overall quality is fine, even with crappy LEDs, that's more about genetics. What is an issue is yield and the flowering time required.

My results:
led plant bar 5 - don't work and cost too much. They are good for cloning, but still too expensive
grow with leds spot lights - basically work but yield isn't great.
superled - works great

These are very new products, the prices will be coming down....

Back
Top Bottom