Adjusting LEDs

StickyGig

Bought my first real LED light from Mars. I've never started a seed under LED before so Ive a got a question I can't seem to find an answer for. The manufacturers recommendation is off as far as seedlings are concerned but distance isnt my question as I've managed to find the right distance by simply watching the germed seedling the first couple days and adjusting until she stopped stretching. Question is, now what? Do I just let the plant grow up to the light or adjust the plant down as it grows?

This is an email answer from Mars hydro:

As to the distance,you can keep it at 24-30inches above the plants when germination,and 18-24 inches for veg,12-18 for flower,hope it helps.

It doesn't matter if you move the light down or elevate the plants, just shoot for what they recommend. Sometimes when you are growing different strains (or have different aged plants) it is easier to sit the plants up on objects of differing heights to maintain that even canopy.

That's what I figured. Common sense told me to simply find a happy place and adjust accordingly but I may be over complicating things because im so use to cfl. Shes growing her second set of leaves but she seems flattened out instead of the leaves "reaching" up for light. Im guessing that means drop her down. Thanks for your input.

You can probably put the light much closer. I start seeds at around 18", and veg and flower at around 12", up to 8" gives me no issues so far, and 6" shows light stress. Mars 300 & mars II 400, larger light may require more height, and of course a larger height will increase the light footprint.

Back
Top Bottom