Allergies

Good morning all, I am in need of some your wisdom

This question recently came up and I am not sure of the answer.
Question: " I am allergic to strawberries, can I smoke strawberry cough?"

My answer was: " You better not, but I will find out"

Can berry strains cause allergic reactions to people with berry allergies?
Howdy do.
What an interesting question.. I haven't got a clue and I wouldn't like to take a guess, because the compounds in both plants are complex.. just did a quick Google search to find the main allergen in strawberries and it is (Fragaria x ananassa) and Bet v 1 homologue, a profilin, and a lipid-transfer protein
Ive searched to see if any of those are in cannabis, it's terps and flavaniods. I can't seem to find if there is or isn't.
I believe cannabis strains get there names from the vague resemblance they have to smell or taste of a particular fruit .
Can you do a skin patch test just to make sure.?
Anyway.. looking forward to more replies on this.
Edit

Just found this
Other fruiting plants (such as apples, strawberries, plums, figs, and almonds) are distant genetic relatives to marijuana. In this article, we focus on relatives within the Cannabaceae Family, which consists of 11 genera. These genera consist of several hundred subspecies.

So, if the plants are distant relatives of each other, any strain of cannabis would cause a reaction, as they carry some of the genes..
Anyway.. I'm doing what I said I wouldn't and im guessing.

Looking forward to more input

the terpenes creating the flavour profile will be very similar or even identical in both.
that said the amounts present in cannabis would be infinitesimal compared to the berry. the chances of an issue would not be worth the worry.

think of it like wine tasting. all sorts of attributes and flavours are ascribed to a wine to describe it. these are all expressions of the terpenes found in the wine. none of them are overwhelming on their own, and the wine will have it's own flavour as a result of all the different terpenes present.

the same holds for cannabis. there are piles of different terpenes present. none are particularly present in a capacity to cause a reaction.

There are no strawberries in strawberry cough. I'm pretty sure if it could cause that sort of problems we would have heard about it, a LOT, by now. In fact, I've never heard of anyone having an allergic reaction from smoke.
Cannabis has way too many enemies for that not to have been tossed in our faces as proof of how horrible it is.

There are no strawberries in strawberry cough. I'm pretty sure if it could cause that sort of problems we would have heard about it, a LOT, by now. In fact, I've never heard of anyone having an allergic reaction from smoke.
Cannabis has way too many enemies for that not to have been tossed in our faces as proof of how horrible it is.

there is a cannabis allergy. but it is cannabis specific, and super rare. only ever read about it.

Wow. Thank you @Squiggle , @bluter , and @Sueet for your research and insight on this matter.
The strain I'm growing its actually a sativa dominant strawberry kush. I love the smell of this plant.
I agree, if this was an issue, we would have heard about it.
The person voicing the concern can of of course opt out. There are many choices.

:thumb: :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom