Any interest in this test?

Retired One

420 Member
So here's the deal. I had bought a very inexpensive 8 site dwc kit that I had planned on using for nothing but cloning duties but then somthing happened to make me think again. I'll get back to that in just a sec.

Hydro has always been intimidating to me and i'm pretty sure that im not the only one. So much stuff to keep track of and all that, not to mention the money involved. But I knew that once i had a good mom nothing would be better to give them little clones the best chance at life than a simple little setup like this. So i started shopping around the net until i found what i wanted. For $164.27 i got the following: 150w hps light and ballast (that will be replaced by a 600w hps/mh in the proposeded test), air pump, airstone, 2-8oz bottles of nutes, res, net pots, rockwool and hydroton, as well as all tubing and fittings. Now I believe that that cost is well within reach of most people out there, even though u still need a few other odds and ends...meters etc, i spent about 30 bucks more on those. These are not state of the art instruments, you can spend a shitload of money here but the idea was to get all of it, seeds included for $250.

So now we are on to seeds. Being new at indoor, all my previous exp has been outdoor, i was going to need somthing bred for the purpose, so i hit up a member who's grow journals i had found most helpful, and discussed what i was looking for and next thing u know i'm at the store so to speak.

This is where the interesting part happens. Being that my personal supply was dwindling away at an alarming rate, I needed somthing that i could grow with an allmighty quickness...so i settled on some white dwarfs that can be grown very quickly...a nice stopgap if you will. As i checked out a very nice message popped up letting me know that i was to recieve 6 additional seeds, 1 Gigabud fem and 5 reg Thai Super Skunk. Then the idea cropped up...i should get at least 1 female from those TSS so why not clone it and have a heads up, side by side grow soil vs very entry level hydro.

Look, i'd love to have a $4000 box and another two grand in lighting and doo dads, but for me thats just not realistic and i'm sure i'm in the majority on this one.

So it will be a couple of weeks before all my stuff arrives and i'll keep an eye on this to see if the interest is there.

BTW total cost of everything...including beans $253.67:thanks:

It will be good to see how your hydro works, it will be good to see what problems you have with both, how easy they are to solve and all the differences between the two ways of growing.
I choose to be a dirtbagger, I like rooting around in the soil, moving plants around and everything about it. It is my zen garden....

I look forward to a journal though as this may help others to decide which way they may want to go.

Is the white dwarf autoflowering?

I cannot remember offhead (lol) what the flowering times are for the TSS and GB. It might be interesting to do some crosses and then you might have some good hybrid genetics (whether or not the WD autoflowers - and myself I am not a fan of those - I presume that you ordered it because of a short flowering period.

Might even cross them all with your outdoor stuff.

Oh yeah, and we're always interested in reading about experiments. If properly done they are a valuable learning tool.

Yes, the WD are an autoflowering white widow hybrid, and you were right they were selected for a quick harvest...and to satisfy my own curiosity about these types of plants.

As far as crossing some of the strains i have with other indoor breeds, I have thought about that some but figured to sort of ease into this indoor thing slowly...sounds like a good idea for a future project though.

Well, all the gear and beans are here. Started the soaking yesterday afternoon and all but one bean has already sunk. Probably move them into a towel later this afternoon to complete the germ process.

There hasn't been alot of interest expressed in the side by side grow, but I believe I will do it anyhow after i grow the 5 white dwarf and 1 gigabud.

Just to get my feet wet, I'll be doing a grow journal on these 6 plants, so keep your eyes out there for SouthernWeed's First Hydro Grow. Should be getting it gowing in the next 10 day or so. Wish me luck.

i think the test everyone wants is the led vs mh/mps. i believe be irie started one but ended up moving his girl from led to mps for flowering. what we wanted to see was the difference in yield between the 2 but he abandoned it.

Well as i said in the initial post the idea was to do the hydro setup, beans included for $250, which would have paid for about 1/4 of Irie's board. This is a cheap intro to hydro for folks like me who for one reason or another, never grew this way. And he didn't abandon it, it was clearly stated several times thru the journal that it was purely a veg grow, and i admire him for sticking to his guns.

As much as I would have loved to complete it I saw where it was going. I have patients that depend on me for their medicine and am not going to sacrifice their well being to make a point.....

Southern, don't give up.. it will take a little bit to build an audience. It is early, so keep up the journal and you will see.. And heck as an added bonus, think of all the help you will get in case you run into an problems.. :peace:

[/QUOTE]Southern, don't give up.. it will take a little bit to build an audience. It is early, so keep up the journal and you will see.. And heck as an added bonus, think of all the help you will get in case you run into an problems.. :peace:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the encouragement IRIE. And you are so right about the bonus, a fact I am sure to avail myself of on numerous occasions...LOL

As much as I would have loved to complete it I saw where it was going. I have patients that depend on me for their medicine and am not going to sacrifice their well being to make a point.....

Southern, don't give up.. it will take a little bit to build an audience. It is early, so keep up the journal and you will see.. And heck as an added bonus, think of all the help you will get in case you run into an problems.. :peace:

high be IRIE, i feel so foolish, i didn't no your background,with your patients and all, i thought u were just another one of us.what u do is so much more important and i didnt mean to trivialize that.sry bro

Well as i said in the initial post the idea was to do the hydro setup, beans included for $250, which would have paid for about 1/4 of Irie's board. This is a cheap intro to hydro for folks like me who for one reason or another, never grew this way. And he didn't abandon it, it was clearly stated several times thru the journal that it was purely a veg grow, and i admire him for sticking to his guns.

high southern weed perhaps i was mistaken but i read where he was goin back and forth on what he wanted to do. be Irie was torn himself between continuing the led gro or switching to mps to flower because everyone kept replying to finish the led gro but in the end be IRIE decided it was better off to discontinue it. anyway u put it whether it is called abandoned or quit or stopped , it still means the same thing. nothing malicious was meant by the word abandoned.we kool still?:smokin:

Ok, late afternoon update. Very good news with a small bit of bad. After less than 23 hours in water 2 White Dwarfs and the Gigabud have already cracked and were showing a bit of root (what the hell are Buddha and G13 feeding these things) Unfortunately, one White Dwarf never sank but by the way it kept migrating to the side of the shot glass, I suspect it just had a dry spot on the seed so I'm not to worried about it right now.

I went ahead and moved all the seeds to a paper towel and have evey reason to expect that by this time tomorrow the seeds, or at least most of them, will be ready to move into rockwool and the entertaining part will start.

From this point on I am all ears to suggestions and ideas. And as soon as i get all six seeds into rockwool, I'll post a message moving this thread to Grow Journals-In Progress...ought be pretty entertaining to watch this old dirt farmer go high-tech.

Morning update... all seeds except the floater have thrown a 1/4" taproot and will be moved to rockwool sometime today. I'll probably go ahead and throw in the floater and just hope for the best.

That was the good news. Now for the bad. Have you ever been standing around when a ballast goes boom? Well I can assure you its an attention getter. So now I'm in a tough spot. All I have now is the puny little 150w that came with the kit, that I was planning on using for clones. So need to know if I'll kill the plants off when I get the new ballast for the 600w and switch to it, or should i just go get several cfl lights today and stick with what i have for now?

Back
Top Bottom