Any UVB'ers out there?

My LED light came with UVB and instruction say use them the last 3 weeks of flowering they are 15 WATTS each and it runs 2 for 12/12
57114.JPG

I use mine during the last half of flowering and there is definitely an increase in the frostiness of the ladies from the increased trichome production to protect themselves from the increase in UV radiation. The only damage I've seen is when the leaves get too close to the CFLs but that happens anyway regardless of the type of CFL.

I am going to try some UVB lights. Nothing ventured nothing gained. These seem to have the best bang for the buck ... for a trial anyway.
Exo Terra Reptile UVB200
reptile_uvb200_rating.jpg

exoterrauvbcflchart.jpg

he big question is how much is enough and how much is too much. After searching hundreds of web pages and hours of reading. I have come to realize that there is no standard default answer. It has to do with genetics. Some strains that have been developed without UVB light may not tolerate it at all. Most if not all greenhouse coverings will filter out UVB. That would explain the mixed reviews of its effectiveness.

In a non cannabis study, seeds were collected from 132 native and introduced plant species growing over a 3,000 m elevational gradient in Hawaii (23deg.N latitude). Seeds were brought back to the University of Maryland, U.S.A. and germinated in the greenhouse under artificial UV lamps simulating 20 and 40% ozone depletions over Honolulu, Hawaii during clear sky conditions on the summer solstice (14.6 and 22.2 kJ m[-2] effective UV-BBE according to an empirical model of Green et al. 1950). In the UV-B radiation treatment simulating a 40% ozone depletion, only 8% of the species collected from sea level to 500 m were tolerant to UV, while tolerance increased markedly in species collected from higher elevations (Table 3). All species collected above 2,000 m were found to be tolerant of UV-B radiation levels simulating a 40% ozone depletion, implying that these plants have adapted to the high levels of UV presently incident at these sites. A greater understanding of the range and types of natural UV protective mechanisms available to plants would provide a better basis upon which to make predictions of the effects of increased levels of solar UV on natural plant communities.

I will try a 13 watt at one end and a 25 watt at the other and no uvb in the middle. 16 to 20 inches from buds. last 2 weeks of flower. Haven't decided how many hours a day yet.

I started with two of those brand 200uvb 25w and they work but not very far so you need to move them around a lot. I had mobile clip on metal hoods to move mine around manually. Now I use tubes on the mover to scan the weed.
Those 200s work well but I suggest getting all big ones don't pay almost same price for less wattage.

Oh wait, you are suggesting you were going to do an experiment? If that was the idea, then go ahead that's a great idea.
The only thing with the CFL's though is that you will only get maybe a 18 inch diameter circle of effect.

I am thinking the 2ft tubes would work best for my LED panels , my panels are 18" long , I will be mounting one 24" tube on either side of the panels, then later buying more to go on the ends , for complete coverage.

at 26w each they also fit in nicely with the LED's low power draw , a perfect match really.

Hell yea, Im wit it! :thumb:
Got these for last few weeks of flower. Only about 54 watts.
mini_combo_deep_dome_light_fixture.JPG
reptile_light.JPG

I guess you could technically add to much UVB but it would take some deliberate effort.

UVB is hard on your eyes , sunglasses are a must when working around them , its much harder on your eyes then other light spectrum's.

Lizards and reptiles love it , they tell you not to put it within inches of your reptiles as they will likely look into it which causes eye damage.
The UVB bulbs are not any stronger then the suns UVB light, which will damage your eyes but not your plants.

I would be more concerned with the heat of the bulbs if they were to close ,as with any bulb , then using many of the little 26w CFL's UVB bulbs spread around.

I have read up on the topic and found no mention of UVB overload , perhaps others with first hand experiences can give their findings on UVB burn.

Back
Top Bottom