Anyone Use A Sun System With Enclosed Ballast?

Bud Blaze

I recently purchased one of these online and it just came in the mail yesterday, I'm already very concerned about the weight of it. Weight specs weren't on the site I got it off cuz shipping was free, but this things gotta be 25-30lbs! Not sure if my ceiling can handle it. Does anyone recommend these systems? Is it a quality product I should try to find a way to make work or should I send it back and get something lighter with a separate ballast??

Re: Anyone use a Sun System with enclosed ballast??

made my buds and all that hold mine up is a 10 d nail through the rafer bent up ward. it works great but yes having the inclosed ballast adds weight. think mine is around 15lbs

new_sun.JPG
1_11-28.JPG

getting different one would depend on who pays return shipping in my mind
they do get to be a PIA to move up and down as needed
Wink

I recently purchased one of these online and it just came in the mail yesterday, I'm already very concerned about the weight of it. Weight specs weren't on the site I got it off cuz shipping was free, but this things gotta be 25-30lbs! Not sure if my ceiling can handle it. Does anyone recommend these systems? Is it a quality product I should try to find a way to make work or should I send it back and get something lighter with a separate ballast??

which one did you get?
I bought the 150HPS.
It will hang just fine if you make sure your hooks are screwed into the ceiling thru the joists (not just in the drywall).

And get some light duty chains or those yoyo adjustable hangers to make changing the light height easier.

Thanks for the replies, yes winkster the cost of shipping back has def. crossed my mind. I originally started this thread from my phone at work now that I'm home I weighed the system and it's a good 25 pounds, says 30lbs even on the outside of the shipping box.

Basementdwell, glad you like yours and your crops look great. Did you opt to buy the optional air cooled fittings? I did not, do you think I should have? My grow space is going to be in a closet much more confined than it looks like you have, would blowing a fan directly on where the ballast is keep it cool enough u think?

UPDATE: While I was writing this a friend stopped by to take a look at my future grow space as he is going to help me construct it. Theres is a sturdy pipe that hangs down from the ceiling and is centered in the closet, I wasn't sure if it was strong enough to hold the light system but he assured me it is. So at least THATS not a problem anymore LOL.

which one did you get?
I bought the 150HPS.
It will hang just fine if you make sure your hooks are screwed into the ceiling thru the joists (not just in the drywall).

And get some light duty chains or those yoyo adjustable hangers to make changing the light height easier.

I got the 250W. I live in a rented house where the electricity is included in the rent, which has been a GREAT perk of living here but since I don't pay the electric bill I don't want it to suddenly go sky high on my landlord. That and the fact my closet space isn't really big enough for a larger bulb I opted for the 250.

How do you like the 150? Had it long? Do you use just the HPS bulb thru the entire grow process? Mine came with the HPS but I also ordered a 250w CMH bulb and am going to use that for the whole process...I think lol. I'm really back and forth on whether to use the CMH during the flowering phase just because there seems to be SO much back and forth about whether it's really better. I was reading another thread somewhere on the board and one guy was saying that some strains are grown to react optimally with 2K HPS during the flowering. This is my first time I'll be growing and I want to do it right, wish there wasn't so much conflicting information out there. I'll probly go with the CMH thru the whole thing and see what happens...

I got the 250W. I live in a rented house where the electricity is included in the rent, which has been a GREAT perk of living here but since I don't pay the electric bill I don't want it to suddenly go sky high on my landlord. That and the fact my closet space isn't really big enough for a larger bulb I opted for the 250.

How do you like the 150? Had it long? Do you use just the HPS bulb thru the entire grow process? Mine came with the HPS but I also ordered a 250w CMH bulb and am going to use that for the whole process...I think lol. I'm really back and forth on whether to use the CMH during the flowering phase just because there seems to be SO much back and forth about whether it's really better. I was reading another thread somewhere on the board and one guy was saying that some strains are grown to react optimally with 2K HPS during the flowering. This is my first time I'll be growing and I want to do it right, wish there wasn't so much conflicting information out there. I'll probly go with the CMH thru the whole thing and see what happens...

The free elec is great.

I used the 150HPS throughout my grow. I manipulated the shit outta that plant and got 3oz of lemony buds that got everyone really high.

plants growing under 1000w are going to produce more than under 250w.

Nevertheless, the 250 will produce well, with either bulb. Just know that it will not penetrate deep,

The 1000w bulb has much more penetration than my 150.
So only the top 8 inches of my plants got really good light because the 150 didnt penetrate to the lower branches and buds.

Theres a good chart floating around here somewhere.

check your pm

Very nice chart thank you. I tried pm'ing you that but my post count isn't at 50 yet lol.

The free elec is great.

I used the 150HPS throughout my grow. I manipulated the shit outta that plant and got 3oz of lemony buds that got everyone really high.

plants growing under 1000w are going to produce more than under 250w.

Nevertheless, the 250 will produce well, with either bulb. Just know that it will not penetrate deep,

The 1000w bulb has much more penetration than my 150.
So only the top 8 inches of my plants got really good light because the 150 didnt penetrate to the lower branches and buds.

Theres a good chart floating around here somewhere
check your pm

hey Bud, ever thought about putting some good cfls in for side lighting.....thats what I do. seems to help and they don't jack up the elec usage much or the heat.

I have a heavy reflector as well as my ballast mounted to the top of my NO HOLES BAR LIGHT STAND. Google this product. Basically it is two metal frames held up by a 2 x 4 in the middle to hang your lights, Can filter and balast. They can support a ton of wieght and there is no need to drill holes in the wall. It can be set up in less than an hour with minimal know how and can be taken down or moved just as fast. I use one of these in my flower room to mount my ballast, can filter, and also my reflector and I am sure it would hold more if I had another reflector to hang from it. This would probably work for your situation if you don't want to poke holes in the walls.

Very nice chart thank you. I tried pm'ing you that but my post count isn't at 50 yet lol.

Yep, you'll get there. They have that rule. I like it. Keeps spammers from getting an account and PM'ing everyone with their ads.

Peace

Back
Top Bottom