Aspen's Alaskan Purple In Soil - 2022

I literally HATE that device makers are implementing that stupid 'fake power button' because they want to be cool or some shit. My car has the auto start/stop for the engine and there is indeed a button I can press to turn it off, when the car is running. If I turn the car off and back on, I have to press the switch again to turn the start stop off. I don't mind the start stop feature, but a ton of people hate it and I remember when that came around it didn't make sense as to why it couldn't just be a physical button.

I digress. Did you know about AC Infinity's UIS Control Plug? I'm sure, sure you do by now, but it's what I jumped to when you said you have to press a button to turn it back on. Got some wires crossed, whoops. The humidifier I use has a physical button (when I say physical button I mean there's a literal piece of metal contacting the terminals inside) so I just use a wifi plug to turn it on or off (or rather, provide power or not). Since whoever made your humidifier wants to be in the cool person club they gave you a digital button (pressing the button signals to a micro-controller within the unit to turn the unit on, not the addition of power itself).

All of that said, it's time to open that sucker up and bypass the fake button you're forced to press to turn it on. Jump a wire over that button entirely, and boom. To turn the unit on, plug it in. Turn it off, unplug it. Then you can use the UIS control plug with your current AC system without buying a new humidifier!
Yea ultimately that is what I would have to do for it to work on the UIS control plug.
I just bought 3 of those and use one for my COB fixture.
The 2 extra are theoretically for either non AC fans or humidifiers but in my case, extra is needed.
It's not a big deal in my case because when I flip to flower my humidifier isn't needed at all my humidity is about where I want it in flower anyway

I wanted to check on the tent this evening and it really does seem like the blueberries are cooperating and gaining steam. So that prompted me to check their cups and the reservoirs are just about dry, so I will probably top them up tomorrow. As I was checking out the cups, I spotted this:

Blueberry_1_Roots_Day5.jpg

Roots have now reached the air layer in Blueberry #1! This was super refreshing to see and hopefully is a sign of the good things to come with these seeds. Especially with today being day 5 for them.

Now as far as topping up their reservoirs tomorrow, I'm going to begin feeding at 1/4 strength. Which is convenient because the purple is getting fed tomorrow at full strength, so I'll just dilute 4:1 in a small cup and fill the blueberry reservoirs up. I'm not going to wait this time, let's get them pumped with nutes right off the bat and into the sips as soon as possible.

Hey everyone, and happy Tuesday!

Alaskan Purple Day 38
I opened the tent yesterday and smelled a faint smell of weed. I had just smoked, so didn't think much of it. Then this morning I smelled the same smell and picked up the Purple and sure enough, she's starting to smell. Doesn't that mean she's ready for flower now? When do I flip?? Hah jk jk.

She was fed today full strength week 3 Fox Farm nutrients. Since I didn't need much I converted the measurements to work for 1 qt of water. I mixed up 2 quarts and soaked in 2 tbsp of mosquito bits for an hour or so. Then I split the 2 quarts and mixed up nutes for the Purple and then for the Blueberries.

PH: 6.3
PPM: 1038

Watered with a 10ml syringe, 10ml at a time, with 3-5 minutes between. She took 70ml of feed before some runoff action.

Blueberries Day 6

So far so good on the blueberries. They're already bigger than the purples were at day 7, and the roots I pointed out yesterday actually grew 1/4" or more just overnight, like 14 hours or so, deeper in the air layer towards the res. Excellent progress on them. They were fed for the first time today, 1/2 strength Fox Farms Seedling (before week 1). The clear cups were dipped into my pitcher so the water flows into the overflow hole and into the air layer, then pulled out and put back in the red cups. Nothing from the top.

PH: 6.2
PPM: 363

Thanks for stopping by! Hope everyone has a great day/week.

Hey everyone, and happy Tuesday!

Alaskan Purple Day 38
I opened the tent yesterday and smelled a faint smell of weed. I had just smoked, so didn't think much of it. Then this morning I smelled the same smell and picked up the Purple and sure enough, she's starting to smell. Doesn't that mean she's ready for flower now? When do I flip?? Hah jk jk.

She was fed today full strength week 3 Fox Farm nutrients. Since I didn't need much I converted the measurements to work for 1 qt of water. I mixed up 2 quarts and soaked in 2 tbsp of mosquito bits for an hour or so. Then I split the 2 quarts and mixed up nutes for the Purple and then for the Blueberries.

PH: 6.3
PPM: 1038

Watered with a 10ml syringe, 10ml at a time, with 3-5 minutes between. She took 70ml of feed before some runoff action.

Blueberries Day 6

So far so good on the blueberries. They're already bigger than the purples were at day 7, and the roots I pointed out yesterday actually grew 1/4" or more just overnight, like 14 hours or so, deeper in the air layer towards the res. Excellent progress on them. They were fed for the first time today, 1/2 strength Fox Farms Seedling (before week 1). The clear cups were dipped into my pitcher so the water flows into the overflow hole and into the air layer, then pulled out and put back in the red cups. Nothing from the top.

PH: 6.2
PPM: 363

Thanks for stopping by! Hope everyone has a great day/week.
Damn that AP is actually trying to do something! look out! She may give you some tough decisions if she keeps this up

Damn that AP is actually trying to do something! look out! She may give you some tough decisions if she keeps this up

You mean like trying to decide what to put in the sips and what to get rid of? Hmm, I think I'm honestly decided already on leaving the sips for the blueberries and just keep the purple in that cup until it dies. But I don't know that the timing is going to work because if it takes 5-7 weeks before I flip the blueberries, I don't really want the purple vegging in a solo cup for that long. I also feel like I'm wasting nutes on it. So honestly, it may just get culled out here in a week or two. Decisions decisions!

You mean like trying to decide what to put in the sips and what to get rid of? Hmm, I think I'm honestly decided already on leaving the sips for the blueberries and just keep the purple in that cup until it dies. But I don't know that the timing is going to work because if it takes 5-7 weeks before I flip the blueberries, I don't really want the purple vegging in a solo cup for that long. I also feel like I'm wasting nutes on it. So honestly, it may just get culled out here in a week or two. Decisions decisions!
I’m sure you’ve posted it previously but has the plan changed to only flower out 1?
Whichever one is female and doing best, or are you going to flower whatever’s healthy?
I hate to see plants culled but I totally understand why you would at this point.
Who knows how the stunted growth at this point would affect the end result?
Also you’re doing 2 sips? You legit might not have room without massive training
I really wish I woulda let Suzanne do her thing no training maybe topped once then left alone but she woulda been far too big and into flower by now honestly.
@Azimuth told me but I honestly thought it couldn’t be that much of a difference but take my word for it it is 😂
With my grow buckets so long as everything is healthy with no issues I’m flipping sooner rather than later.
Sorry I’m rambling time for a smoke break 😂

Sorry I’m rambling time for a smoke break 😂

I appreciate rambling! If we hadn't rambled yesterday about tent environmentals I wouldn't have set up the exhaust fan to cycle the air. Also if I didn't like rambling I wouldn't have 9 pages in this journal with a 4" plant LOL!

I’m sure you’ve posted it previously but has the plan changed to only flower out 1?

Well, the plan changed 'kinda'. Originally with my veggie propagation shelf in the tent I only had room for 1 3 gallon pot, and it would've been tight. Now that the shelf is out and I have the entire 3x3 space I'm going to attempt to fit in 2 5 gallon sips. Training is my middle name, and what I enjoy absolute the most in growing these plants. I flipped late as shit in my first grow, so lesson learned, and I can bring to this grow. Current plan is to quadline both sips and once the side shoots are laid down and at the edge of the bucket I'll let them grow up 6-8" or so then flip. Should keep this particular strain in check.

Who knows how the stunted growth at this point would affect the end result?

This is exactly my point. The purple has been fed at full strength for the last two weeks now. We're just now down to 4 days between watering. 4 days after 38 days in that cup! She's stunted, and I'm not invested in this one like I am the blueberries at this point. It was a cool practice in watering a small nursery cup, and is actually how I water my succulents now. And they're absolutely thriving. So something has been learned at least from the purple. I don't really want to learn more with her lol.

Also you’re doing 2 sips? You legit might not have room without massive training

Yeap two sips, but as mentioned in another answer I know it's doable. I'm not vegging for as long and I had an extremely successful mainline in the rdwc and loved adjusting the training clips and branches every day. That's the cathartic process I'm looking forward to. Just can't get there with the purple at this point. I'm not waiting a year for 3oz of bud from her!

Here are some pics of the Blue Dream in my first grow. Really liked training her, just flipped way, way too late.

I appreciate rambling! If we hadn't rambled yesterday about tent environmentals I wouldn't have set up the exhaust fan to cycle the air. Also if I didn't like rambling I wouldn't have 9 pages in this journal with a 4" plant LOL!
:rofl: Good point!
Well, the plan changed 'kinda'. Originally with my veggie propagation shelf in the tent I only had room for 1 3 gallon pot, and it would've been tight. Now that the shelf is out and I have the entire 3x3 space I'm going to attempt to fit in 2 5 gallon sips. Training is my middle name, and what I enjoy absolute the most in growing these plants. I flipped late as shit in my first grow, so lesson learned, and I can bring to this grow. Current plan is to quadline both sips and once the side shoots are laid down and at the edge of the bucket I'll let them grow up 6-8" or so then flip. Should keep this particular strain in check.
Ah yes, I remember you taking the veggies out now.
yea in the 3x3 you should have more than enough room actually
the 2 gro buckets I have in 5-gallon buckets in my Suzanne journal are sitting next to each other in a 3x4 tent the 1x4 was for separate chambers
So, they are both in the 3x3 area with plenty of room and plenty of room to train them as well
This is exactly my point. The purple has been fed at full strength for the last two weeks now. We're just now down to 4 days between watering. 4 days after 38 days in that cup! She's stunted, and I'm not invested in this one like I am the blueberries at this point. It was a cool practice in watering a small nursery cup, and is actually how I water my succulents now. And they're absolutely thriving. So something has been learned at least from the purple. I don't really want to learn more with her lol.
Nah I get it sometimes it's better to be satisfied with the lesson learned as is. Squeezing more info out may lead to the type of experience you hate to learn from
Yeap two sips, but as mentioned in another answer I know it's doable. I'm not vegging for as long and I had an extremely successful mainline in the rdwc and loved adjusting the training clips and branches every day. That's the cathartic process I'm looking forward to. Just can't get there with the purple at this point. I'm not waiting a year for 3oz of bud from her!
Neither would I! It seems like the environmental issues you addressed are working for you tho! Glad to hear!
I definitely can't wait to see some real action.

Veg is probably my favorite time as well tho I haven't done much in terms of training I love making the plant take shape and watching that work turn into buds because of your planning and training months prior!
No better feeling...

Ok maybe your kids first homerun or something like that is a better feeling.

No better feeling in the garden.... :rofl:

So, they are both in the 3x3 area with plenty of room and plenty of room to train them as well

I didn't realize you were in the same space with the same buckets, sweet! I need to go back to your update and see where you're at.

Neither would I! It seems like the environmental issues you addressed are working for you tho! Glad to hear!
I definitely can't wait to see some real action.

I'm not convinced the environmentals were what was contributing to the purple's slow growth tho. I only made the change yesterday, but for two years before posting this journal I was growing vegetables with the exhaust fan hung, but never running. I believe this year is the first time it's actually run other than me just fiddling with the switch occasionally. But anyway, I'm glad you're sticking it out here (and everyone else!) as the blueberries definitely look to be working better than the purples did.

No better feeling...

Ok maybe your kids first homerun or something like that is a better feeling.

:rofl:

Well, I won't have to worry about the kid aspect as my wife and I decided really early we weren't going to go that route in life. Leaves more time for travel, cats, and plants. We wouldn't have it any other way! So yeah, it's exciting when the plants produce for sure.

A small equipment update this evening. After seeing @lootznbootz 's gallant battle with FG (so sorry man, has that gotten any better?) I decided to take a look at my sip buckets and determine if I had any open holes into the res. There was one glaring opening, and it's the feed tube. So I thought to myself, why not create something that slides over the top of the tube but still allows air flow? But it makes it a bit harder for things to fall into the tube (think plant matter, bugs, etc).

So after about 10 mins I had this:

1672805576661.png

And then 30 mins printing later, we have these:

Which then goes on the feed tube like this:

Lastly I wanted a funnel because clearly pouring into a 1/2" PVC tube would be a nightmare without one. So I found a really cool design on Thingiverse (free model website where you can download models and print them) and I actually changed the diameter of the bottom of the funnel to fit into a 1/2" PVC.

The circular troughs on the inside of the funnel help rotate the water to speed the flow rate out of the funnel. Can't wait to give it a shot and see how it flows.

Oh and lastly, I received my seed order from @Herbies Seeds ! A huge shout out to the sheer speed of receiving this order. Nine total days coming from Spain to the states. And the tracking number they issued me was spot on the entire time. And the 'way' they were packaged is clever and completely awesome, so thank you to Herbies for offering these items.

Lastly, just for @Azimuth , they went straight into a cobalt jar and now live in the fridge full time. I didn't even get a picture, just made sure what I ordered was there and in the fridge.

Now it's up to the Blueberries to do something. Which I do believe they are. However, if they fail, I now have fresh seed from an amazing company that finally gets me on the same playing field as everyone else. Maybe :)

Well DAMN 3D printing?! I don't know if I can afford one of those for my grow room! :rofl:

As for my FG situation I am writing up the updates as I type this in a separate window will be up tomorrow for sure.
I've had a lot going on so I haven't been able to spend as much time with the garden as I would like, just the occasional check in.
I just got back from working in the garden the past 6 hours so this update will be a doozy!

Hi everyone! Pretty standard update today as everything is smooth sailing. I'm still dealing with a handful of gnats and treating with mosquito-bit infused water, but nothing is out of control and it does appear the population has gone from maybe 5-8 buzzing around to only 3 or so I saw as I was in the tent.

Alaskan Purple Day 40
40 days! 40! She smells, she's starting to show sex at node #...5? Didn't count them, but it's there. The only cool thing this one has going for her is her top leaves are reaching for the light and it's really cool to see how she transitions from drooping and needing water to up and at 'em the next morning.

Blueberries Day 8
These are looking good from 2 days ago when they last got water in their res. Today the res was empty which has been on time for the last 8 days. Seems like every 2 days they'll need topped up. Not for long though, as #1 has roots into the res now so I'm hoping to see that explosive growth in the next week or so. All 3 of them got 6.3phed water from the res only, no top watering.

Thanks for stopping by!

Give it an extra week, but it should start to look noticeably better and then the following week it's on!

This is good news! I'm not seeing roots for #2 or #3 yet, but at least #1 has some action.

So is this part of the transition phase you refer to when transplanting into sips? And then if they're transitioning now, once they go into the sips, they shouldn't need an adjustment period and should really get growing?

Man whatever you did has that AP looking like it’s gunna be worth something. It took a crazy long time but you kept it alive and now it’s thriving for sure please harvest that plant for me (us watching your journal)

This is good news! I'm not seeing roots for #2 or #3 yet, but at least #1 has some action.

So is this part of the transition phase you refer to when transplanting into sips? And then if they're transitioning now, once they go into the sips, they shouldn't need an adjustment period and should really get growing?
Should work that way. The mix in our pots stays more wet than regular roots are used to so they develop new ones to take advantage of it. Yours are getting a head start so my guess is they should adapt to the larger container quickly.

Man whatever you did has that AP looking like it’s gunna be worth something. It took a crazy long time but you kept it alive and now it’s thriving for sure please harvest that plant for me (us watching your journal)

Ah dammit, now it's even harder to cull her! Because you're absolutely right. I'm just now within the last few days starting to see her react to the water, react to the feed. Something changed and it's as if NOW is the time for her to start doing something. I've actually gone back in my journal and can't pin-point a specific action that contributed to the change. Stumped, I am.

Nonetheless, I'm growing attached. Sigh. The up side is I do have a spare HLG100v2 3000k floating around...just need a tent! I'd like to have a 2x2 for drying anyway, so there are lots of options, and apparently plenty of time to consider them.

Micro solo cup grow....up pot to 1 gallon and flower....who knows right now but if she keeps fighting the good fight I may put up with her for a little while longer!

Should work that way. The mix in our pots stays more wet than regular roots are used to so they develop new ones to take advantage of it. Yours are getting a head start so my guess is they should adapt to the larger container quickly.

Thanks Azi, your wisdom is reassuring! I just want to see something in the sip pots, and right now the blueberries are my best bet. So here's hoping in 2-3 weeks I'll have an up-pot and the true sip begins.

Ah dammit, now it's even harder to cull her! Because you're absolutely right. I'm just now within the last few days starting to see her react to the water, react to the feed. Something changed and it's as if NOW is the time for her to start doing something. I've actually gone back in my journal and can't pin-point a specific action that contributed to the change. Stumped, I am.

Nonetheless, I'm growing attached. Sigh. The up side is I do have a spare HLG100v2 3000k floating around...just need a tent! I'd like to have a 2x2 for drying anyway, so there are lots of options, and apparently plenty of time to consider them.

Micro solo cup grow....up pot to 1 gallon and flower....who knows right now but if she keeps fighting the good fight I may put up with her for a little while longer!

Thanks Azi, your wisdom is reassuring! I just want to see something in the sip pots, and right now the blueberries are my best bet. So here's hoping in 2-3 weeks I'll have an up-pot and the true sip begins.
Have you see. @InTheShed and the solo cups he’s grown 😂
you can definitely do it!

Currently I have a new set of Fox Farm Dirty Dozen. It's pretty much their entire nute line, including water solubles. Minus wholly mackeral and kelp me kelp you. I'm seeing how a lot of people are gravitating towards LOS so perhaps when these nutes are gone I'll look more into building a soil etc. But for now this is what I've got.

Perfect explanation on the back and forth, that's what I needed to read. Especially feeding twice a day then just watering twice the next day, absolutely makes sense now. Thank you so much!

I just got back with some supplies so I'm going to get building and have some pics up later today. I'll post it over in the #SIP Club as well for feedback! I also may have a Blueberry update later, we'll see!
I know this thread is a few months old, but it is close to what I am looking for. I'm using Fox Farm nutes. just the trio and some CalMag. When looking at the feeding chart, I just assumed that the different color sections were an either/or products. Now that I see that Fox Farms makes all of the products, I wonder if I should be using all of them. Like in week 5, should I just be using the trio, (green section), or should I be using all 3 sections (green, orange, and purple) which would be 7 products?

foxfarm-feeding-chart-1536x950.jpg

Back
Top Bottom