Aspen's Alaskan Purple In Soil - 2022

Hello everyone! Today marks the end of week 7, which means we're looking at just around 2 weeks to go for all 3 plants in the tent. Everything still looks great, no complaints as far as I can tell.

Nothing too detailed to report right now, the grow is pretty much on cruise control. I checked the trichomes a couple days ago and while there's a slight haze developing, we're still a couple weeks away from chop. I'm thinking at the end of this upcoming week I'll start monitoring colors more frequently, and make the call based on what I see.

Thanks for taking a look!

Hey everyone! Yesterday marked 2 weeks to the 9 weeks in flower, so from now on they're all receiving PH water and that's it. The trichomes are frosting up and looking cloudier under the scope, but we're still 1-2 weeks away from seeing all cloudy trichs and a handful of ambers.

The AP is foxtailing up, but it was to be expected considering she stunted in her seedling phase and is more than 30 days older than the blueberries. She's also only in a 1 gallon pot, and with her size, I'm sure she's close to being rootbound if she isn't already. Foxtails don't bother me, it's bud at the end of the day, so in another week or two it won't matter anyway.

Thanks for stopping by! It won't be long now before we're chopping and moving on to the next set of seeds.

The Time Has Come
Hey everybody! Well, we have finally arrived at our destination! I've been checking trichs just about every day and decided today is the day to shut down the lights for 48 hours, giving us a target harvest day of Monday, May 1st. Yay!
They've only received PH water for the last week, and ideally I would have liked to go another week of just plain water, but the trichs are just in the spot I want them to be. Actually, I consider the AP to be slightly passed where I want it, but it's all good. It's still all gonna be amazing that's for sure. So, when Monday rolls around I'll be making the chop on all 3 plants and sending them through a wash and hanging to dry. The drying tent is all set up and ready to go, and we'll be aiming for a 60*F / 60% RH environment which shouldn't be too difficult to do considering the tent is automated. Good stuff.

As you can see the AP is cearly 'more ripe' in terms of amber trichs. I'd consider that an almost 50% amber to cloudy trich makeup, and I consider that late. However with the blueberries, they're in the exact perfect spot that I'm aiming for this cycle with just a handful of amber trichs poking about.

And I believe that just about gets us current. No water or lights for 48 hours and then the big chop happens on Monday! In my next update post on Monday I'll detail how I'm going to wash the buds (shit ton of cat hair everywhere...) and take some hanging pics. Stay tuned, just a couple more days!!

I appreciate everyone stopping by!

👀 👀 👀

20230429_180347.jpg

Man he’ll yea Aspen! That’s what I’m talking about those buds look freaking awesome!
They really swelled up for you toward the end those 10 day pictures with the lighter… 😮
I’m surprised to hear that you bud wash I don’t hear too many people doing it or maybe I don’t get out enough.
I used to do it before and thought about it but it was too much work at the time I’m definitely going to do it with my soil bed grows for sure!
I’m looking forward to your process as it’s been a long time for me since I’ve done it but I know I need to all the dust we have out here.
Congratulations again really happy this grow made it to harvest!

Man he’ll yea Aspen! That’s what I’m talking about those buds look freaking awesome!
They really swelled up for you toward the end those 10 day pictures with the lighter… 😮
I’m surprised to hear that you bud wash I don’t hear too many people doing it or maybe I don’t get out enough.
I used to do it before and thought about it but it was too much work at the time I’m definitely going to do it with my soil bed grows for sure!
I’m looking forward to your process as it’s been a long time for me since I’ve done it but I know I need to all the dust we have out here.
Congratulations again really happy this grow made it to harvest!

Thanks Lootz! I really appreciate you hanging around and popping in with helpful advice and tips. I'm surprised this grow took so long, but I do believe it was due to the improperly stored seed for 2+ years I was working with. The beans I just started soaking yesterday are all from a recent order and have lived in the fridge since receiving them. They're also some extremely well known strains, so I'm excited to get the plants cut down tomorrow and reset for the new babies! Either tomorrow or a bit later in the week I'll be starting a new journal with details. But I'll leave a hint: 1 of them is Bubba Kush! And it's because you said it was amazing, so, let's grow it and see what all the hype is about.

As for washing, goodness yes. I've done my best in keeping the truly hairy pics out of this journal, but don't let it deceive you: there is cat hair all over every sticky bud in the tent. Some of them aren't bad, or even touched at all (opposite the door, low on the plant, etc. But everywhere else it's actually gross and frankly I don't want to be inhaling burning cat hair at some point in the future lol.

I look at growing as an iterative process; knowledge and skills become unlocked by experience. Knowing what I know now, and having a tent door sensor I'm not really using anymore, the next cycle will probably be set up so when the tent door is open, all fans shut off until the door is closed. This will (hopefully) stop all the hair from being sucked into the tent. If that works for the next cycle and I can lower the amount of cat hair everywhere then I won't be washing them, as indoors it really isn't needed unless you've got a lot of dust, pet hair, whatever floating around.

Hello and welcome to the end, everyone! I can't tell you how satisfying it is to type those words out. This morning and yesterday evening have been a painful study in patience that in the end I believe will pay heaps and bounds. Let's take it from the top!

After my previous update where I turned off the lights for a planned 48 hours, I got bored the next day (yesterday) and started reading through 420. I came across a lot of posts that agreed 36 hours is the sweet spot for leaving them in darkness. After gathering all the needed items I set forth in making the first cuts on the Alaskan Purple.

The AP is a funny one. For those that don't know, she began her life November 27, 2022. I had a lot of problems with her that many helpful members popped in to try and correct. I followed everything to a T, to no avail it seemed. No matter, about 30 days later I decided to start some Blueberries. Around that time the AP seemed to have gotten jealous of her tentmates, and kicked it into gear. She got into a 1 gallon pot and stayed there the rest of the time.

Cutting her down went off without a hitch. I commented in previous posts she seemed airy and that doesn't seem to be the case (at least, not as much as I thought). Due to her growing method (quadline), her age, and her small pot, she created 'no-light' zones below her canopy I didn't really catch. Because of this, I'd say around 1/4 of her buds were airy and ended up in the trim pile. I still got plenty of nice smokeable buds, with some being top shelf, and most being mids I'd estimate.

This is only one of the 3 total hangers I have for her. Plus a 1/2 gallon bag of popcorn/larf/trim. I haven't grown my own since 2019 so I really can't estimate what I think dry weight is going to be. I always had a goal of 4oz per plant, because my first and only grow was just over 4oz. But honestly, just making it to this point is good for me on this one.

Blueberries

I love these two plants. Even more so now that I've cut them down. It was truly fascinating seeing the differences in phenotypes between the two, and always wondering where they were going to go next. A true pleasure to grow I now see why it's a lot of people's favorites. During trim the smell was overpowering of fresh fruit with a seriously convincing blueberry smell. The resin built up over the trim scissors much faster than the AP. Everything was dense as a rock, all the way to the bottom of the plant. I couldn't believe it. Not a single bud from BB#1 or BB#2 went into the trim pile. Not one. From what I see, every bud on those plants is what I'd consider top shelf.

The difference in how the bud built on the two plants is night and day. BB#1 had much longer internodal spacing whereas BB#2 was short, squat, and highly compact. Then again BB#1 had a lot more purpling going on. I've kept them separate so I may see if there's a difference in smoke.

I'm just going to showcase BB#2, as all the hanger pics of BB#1 look like the same trimmed weed pics everyone else has. (Besides the purple. Keep an eye out for pics after the dry. I'm keeping BB#1 a bit secret until then...) But BB#2 on the other hand...

So, uh, yeah. I mean, what do you say to that? I for one have literally never seen buds that big with my own eyes (outside of internet or magazine pics). I've never seen my growing friends have that, I've never seen it at a dispensary. I mean shit, I'm typing this out and still don't believe how big those colas got. I mean I knew they'd be stacked, but the width on them is what really gets my mouth watering. Unbelievable.

15 total hangers in a 2.5' x 2.5' tent. I have my DIY smart grow system hooked up in there so we're maintaining 60% humidity at around 63*F, and we're going to shoot for a long slow dry.

And there it is. In all its glory! @lootznbootz as far as bud washing was concerned, there isn't much to say. I had 3 buckets in a row, first bucket had 1 cup baking soda and 1 cup lemon juice from fresh lemons (filled with water). Took the whole bag of lemons. Second and third bucket was plain water. The kicker: after the wet trim (which I had not planned on doing...I was going to pull major fans and leave for a mid-way trim or dry trim but did a wet one anyway) literally almost all the cat hair was gone. I think I washed 6 or 8 stems out of ... idk, 30 stems or something? After the trim there just wasn't anything visible on them. And for the ones that did get it, I followed this link for the technique. I just didn't use the peroxide and the 4th bucket.

I want to thank every single person that has come in here and offered advice during this process. I could not have done it without you! I'm going to have another post here soon where I'll take pics of the pots, root balls, etc. I am also planning on taking some good pics of the dried buds to showcase for 1, the absolute massive size. But also for 2, to showcase how purple BB#1 got. I don't believe her bud structure got it as much as her leaves, which is why I'm curious how she'll look once she's dried up. I also don't want to drown this post in pic after pic of green/semi-purple wet buds.

Thank you again for coming by. I estimate around 12 days +/- for the dry, and when it's done I'll have official weights. Then we'll cure, and after that I'll put together a smoke report and link it in here. Lastly: 3 new seeds have been dropped and have begun the germinating process. I'm going to hold off on starting a new journal until they pop. If and when they do I'll drop a link in here. I appreciate you dropping in!

Great job!
Congrats on the harvest!

Thanks Mel! I appreciate you hanging out and helping!

Damn those buds rival the footballs GDB grows holy smokes!

Congratulations!

That’s what I remember doing when I budwashed I’ll be doing it going forward thank you!

Thanks Lootz! Yeah I had to go take a tiny peek at them hanging (not to look at them of course but to double check the environment...you know? Lol) and I still am not grasping their size in my brain. Can't wait to see what they look like dry.

As for root pics, I've made a detailed post over in the SIP thread for the Blueberries if anyone is interested. Since the AP wasn't a SIP I didn't include it, so here's what she looked like.

Awesome job there Aspen! You'll have to have your buddies over to show them what well grown herb looks like. :laughtwo:

Thanks Azimuth, and if I'm being honest, you're the one that pushed for the SIPs to be a reality...so this is all your fault! Haha jokes aside, you also provided a lot of good insight and help early on with the AP, so thank you very much and I appreciate the time you spent in here!

Hey everyone! I've been paying a lot of attention to the stems and today I feel pretty comfortable jarring everything. They have been hanging for 11 days total, and I was looking for hearing a 'snap' or crunch as I bend stems, without breaking all the way through. Today's the day!

So, all the buds were clipped off of the stems over the trim bin, with BB#2 requiring quite a bit of extra trimming. Her nodes were so stacked, and now that they're dry, once the buds were removed there was extra sugar leaf hanging around that needed to be removed. Pretty easy to clean up. BB#1 and the AP did not require any extra trimming.

Blueberry #2: 2.7 ounces, or 75 grams

20230511_135330.jpg

Blueberry #1: 2.8 ounces, or 78 grams.

20230511_144639.jpg

Alaskan Purple: 1.4 ounces, or 40 grams.

20230511_151524.jpg

In total we're looking at 6.9 ounces, or 193 grams. Not too shabby for my second grow (considering the first was around 4 years ago!) The AP ended up extremely light and airy, as suspected. I'm sure her age played a factor, along with staying in the 1 gallon pot the entire time. No worries here, I have some usable bud and even more usable trim for bubble hash, edibles, whatever. After being weighed in the bags I jarred 14g per 16oz jar. Unfortunately they were out of wide mouth, but all well. Each jar got a hygrometer and we'll be going through the standard cure process.

Thank you again to every single one of you that's popped in here to give advice, suggestions, motivation, etc. I truly do not think I would have done as well as I did without everyone's support. Thank you very much :)

Back
Top Bottom