Aspen's Alaskan Purple In Soil - 2022

Sorry I had a lot to do in my own garden by the time I opened my laptop I had to be up for work in a few hours 😅

In my opinion I’ve come to find that SIPS and bottled nutrients just don’t mix that seamlessly.
At least in my experience.

Putting any amount of nutrient solution in the bottom of the sip is a no go and I will never change my stance on that.
it doesn’t make any sense when you think about how we’re trying to feed with bottles.
We mix up a certain ec or ppm at a certain Ph so that it’s readily available for the plant to use immediately…
Well what happens in hydro when your plant starts to drink?
We monitor the ppm and ph and add a nutrient solution the corresponds to what we need to increase and maintain that level.
But how do we accomplish that in the res out sips drink from?
What happens when the plant starts drinking and the strength of that solution becomes too much for our plant or the ph swings and becomes far too acidic as water is used up?
And all the while this solution that is swinging one could assume wildly at any point in then being forced by way of wicking into the soil that lord only knows what the ph was and now is as we absorbed questionable water all the way to the top.

Any number of factors could attribute to a countless number of complications.
And that’s just with the most basic understanding of how bottled nutrients are supposed to work.

Which is why for me I’ve found the best way to feed bottles in a SIP is to allow for a dry down in between filling up the reservoirs.

Let the plants use up some of the moisture that is constant in the SIPS.
Then feed through the top of the soil only enough than you get minimal to no water in the res as runoff.
At that point or the next day fill up the reservoirs with fresh water only or water with some type of enzyme to break down any nutrients that may have made it’s way down to the res and break it down.

Trying to flush a SIP… as you’ve seen is going to take a massive amount of time once the water level is high enough it’s just not going to take anymore and water could pool on top for enough time to roll and smoke a blunt! I doubt you have that amount of time.

I would be giving nothing but water for a while let them use up any nutrients they have and hopefully break down anything that’s locking stuff up ie dried nutrient solution in the res.

When I opened up Suzanne there was a nutrient mud in the bottom that would’ve taken years to flush out completely.

I don’t know that I’ll be running SIPS again…
Not with bottles at least!
A LOS would be a far better idea to me because it allows for the breakdown of applications through the top and only fresh water allowed from beneath.

A proper mix should allow for you to not worry about ph and let them decide how and what to eat.

I’m a little biased in my thinking seeing as how I’m transitioning my garden again this time to Los beds.
For what it’s worth.

Hope this was of some help to at least get convo and ideas flowing

Thanks for the detailed thoughts Lootz! A couple of things stood out:

Well what happens in hydro when your plant starts to drink?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love hydro. My first grow went swimmingly (HA!) other than the plant never stopped stretching. I remember the biggest things to keep in mind were PH and EC swing as they compared to water level, so why wouldn't this be the case in a SIP? With my hydro setup before (RDWC) I could remove the control bucket completely from the system and properly wash/rinse it out. I was also using GH Flora trio which didn't have the 'mud' sediment that these bottles have. I completely agree with you here.

Which is why for me I’ve found the best way to feed bottles in a SIP is to allow for a dry down in between filling up the reservoirs.

I noticed Emilya did this for a time as well in one of her journals, but I don't remember what nutes she used. I specifically asked in the SIP Club thread about Fox Farms and was told not to worry about it because other people have used it with SIPs. So I didn't worry about it. But now, it's presenting as a problem. I don't want to lose the grow, so perhaps top feeding is the best course of action to get this grow to the finish line.

Trying to flush a SIP… as you’ve seen is going to take a massive amount of time once the water level is high enough it’s just not going to take anymore and water could pool on top for enough time to roll and smoke a blunt! I doubt you have that amount of time.

Once I increased the overflow hole size to 3/8" I could get a gallon in from the top and have room for another gallon in about 10 minutes. For anyone curious, the tent was open for FIVE HOURS while I had one plant at a time in the bath tub. Luckily I didn't have a lot going on yesterday. But this is why I only flushed 10 gallons and not 15. It would've added another 3 or so hours.

When I opened up Suzanne there was a nutrient mud in the bottom that would’ve taken years to flush out completely.

This is a huge concern for me as well, and adds to the PH and EC lockout potential. Shit, just using a 1 gallon pitcher to mix nutes in, then pour it into the feed tube, I have a bit of sediment in the bottom of the pitcher. So imagine the many many gallons of feed that have been poured down the feed tube, and have accumulated the same mud you're referring to in the bottom. Definitely not ideal!

I'm going to see what the next few days bring and go from there. I may just end up feeding from the top like you suggested. It sounds like that's the best scenario to get these finished up, and then plan a strategy for the next cycle.

I really, really appreciate everyone in here helping me out! Thank you all :)

Now you see why I consider either a TLO or a supersoil water only grow, or a Dr.Earth/Geoflora idea of feeding in raw nutrients and microbes from the top to all be methods easily adaptable to SIP. In these organic systems there is no need to worry about pH, and no need to flush because salts are not building up. This however comes with an adjustment to the traditional SIP idea, because it does require periodic top watering to get the top dressed nutrients, teas and microbes down into the soil. I use the SIP as the primary water source in my grow rooms, but at least once a week top waterings are also necessary because of the nature of my organic garden.

If I were to go with synthetic nutes in a SIP and had a need to periodically flush, I might use hydroponic versions of the nutrients with more of a peat based soil, and I would pH into the hydro range. Most importantly, I would install a drain in the bottom of the sip to allow for a quick cleanout when I needed to flush.

I really like the idea of an organic grow, I just haven't looked into it enough to understand what all is needed and when. It'll be a good project to get in to though.

It may be too soon to tell, but since the deficiency showed up 4 days ago it doesn't seem to have spread or gotten worse. I also don't see any adverse effects from the flush yesterday. Hopefully this means we're back on track for the time being.

The AP is doing a great job of stacking and I'm very happy with how she looks right now.

As for blueberry #1, she didn't get hit as hard with the deficiency as blueberry #2 did. There are signs in the middle of the plant (vertically) just like #2, but it's not as progressed. And like I mentioned it hasn't gotten any worse. She's still praying towards the light and honestly shows no sign of being stressed or anything.

As for blueberry #2 she also hasn't gotten worse. There's still development happening every day so she isn't slowed or stunted or anything. Both blueberries are behind the AP as far as progression is concerned, but they're two different strains so that's to be expected.

Since taking the pic I've removed most of the gnarly leaves, but I left 3-4 of them as well to help monitor the situation and have something to compare to in a few days to make sure she's back on track.

And lastly as the previous two pics show she's also praying towards the light. Both blueberries have maintained the reach since installing the light which is really cool to see.

That's it for now. I'll give it until the end of the week before calling whether the deficiency is solved or not but right now we're looking really good. Thanks for stopping in!

Hey everyone! I hope it's been a great week! I know I"m super happy for the weekend and I hope everyone else is too.

Over the last few days I've opened up the tent for a few minutes each morning just to monitor the deficiency and nothing is getting worse. Yay! Today everything needed fed, so they got week 8 on the FF schedule, as we're coming to the end of week 4 of flower. The smells are building just as much as the buds are, and it's awesome to see. We have frost building on the tops, and it seems like the stretch isn't in full swing anymore. I can't tell you how relieved I am that these aren't still stretching, considering my first grow literally never stopped.

There isn't much to say about the pics, so enjoy the dump! Thanks for stopping by!

Hey everyone! I woke up early today and decided to use the extra time to really inspect the plants and put together an update that really captures the state of things. The last few weeks have been rather busy, so it's nice to be able to sit down one-on-one with them and take in all the progress since flip. This is going to be a picture heavy post as I really wanted to zoom in on some details and document specific areas for comparison later. Based on the pics, things are looking really nice and exciting as we lead into the final weeks of flower!

Speaking of, both of these strains are 9 weeks to harvest by breeder estimation. Monday begins week 5, which leaves 5 to go. Of course, I'm not basing it on time, rather by looks and what I prefer in effects, which is generally 15%-20% amber trichomes.

Alright, let's start with Blueberry #2. She got hit the most with the assumed lockout deficiency but seriously doesn't appear to have skipped a beat. Growth and water uptake have resumed, buds are stacking and swelling, and her leaves have not gotten worse. I pulled the majorly damaged leaves a few days ago but decided to leave a few minor ones as a baseline for any issues moving forward. I imagine those leaves will need cut at some point, but, maybe they won't. We'll see.

She's short, squat, thick, bushy, smelly, spicy, sticky, green, and thriving. Note the 4 mains on the corners and how she stacked her nodes, and the thicker fingers on her fan leaves. Looking like a true indica-leaning hybrid I'd say. Especially compared to Blueberry #1. This next set of pics will really show how the differences in phenotypes come into play when talking about "identical seeds".

On to Blueberry #1. She didn't receive the lockout deficiency nearly as bad as #2, but she still presented signs. However now, everything looks to be on track. The greens are green, she's praying towards the light, and her buds are swelling and elongating as they should.

The inter nodal spacing reminds me of sativa leaning hybrids. She's taller than #2, and with the spacing she seems a bit lanky. So much so that I decided to go ahead and prop up one of her mains before the stem fails and I open the tent to a giant cola being dead. I'll keep an eye on her other mains and do the same, if need be. But the difference between the two plants has been a real pleasure to watch.

Last but surely not least, the main star of the journal (??? probably not!) but certainly was the first, the Alaskan Purple. There isn't much to say actually. Her development has been strikingly good once she decided to come out of her slump. It's almost like she got offended when I brought the blueberries in and decided that's when she'll grow like a normal weed plant. She's stacking and getting frosty with every day. I absolutely love her 'spear' look now as well.

And finally we have a group shot of everything back in its place. After the defol over this past week they have a lot more room to sway in the breeze. Most of the defol is now done, and I don't believe they're stretching anymore so all that's left is to watch them swell!

Thanks for stopping by!

Hi everyone! Short update today, everything looks great. The stigmas on the blueberries appear to be much denser than the alaskan purple which is an interesting difference between the two. Everything is stacking and swelling and looking beautiful.

Blueberry #2 is developing a yellow hue with spots towards the top of her 4 mains. I noticed it yesterday and today it doesn't look like it's getting super worse or anything. The only thing I can really do is flush it, again, so since it's not getting bad right now I'm going to just monitor it.

And now for the AP. She's doing wonderful of course. Today she was fed week 9 of the FF schedule, as we're currently in week 5 of flower. Should have just under 4 weeks to go!

Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks SJB! Compared to where she was several months ago I'd say she got her butt into gear and is determined to finish it out!

Hey everyone, and happy Friday to all! So far this week has gone swimmingly and the plants are bulking right on up. I busted out everyone's trusted fiduciary so we can have something to compare to at the finish line in a few weeks. Enjoy the pics!

It may be too early to tell but if you really look at the edges of the fans in this next pic you can start to see some purpling. This is super exciting as right when I purchased these seeds many moons ago one of the reasons I did so was to see how they purple in the end. I don't see the same thing on #2 yet, and nothing like that on the AP, so I'll continue to monitor in case it's a deficiency creeping in.

I mentioned earlier in the week noticing some yellowing spots on B#2, and it doesn't seem to be taking over or getting inherently worse. It's only on #2 and while it's a bit more obvious now it still doesn't concern me at this time.

And here we can start seeing stigmas turning orange and dying off. She still seems a bit airy to me, certainly less dense than the blueberries. It'll be interesting to see the difference in yield between the AP and the other two, considering the AP is only in a 1 gallon and the blues are in 5 gallons of soil.

There's a ton more frost on everything from earlier this week, even if I don't see it on a stem or older fan my fingers/hands/arms are getting sticky. The smell reminds me of a fresh farmers market on a Saturday morning just after sunrise. There's no gas at all, just straight fresh fruit. It's lovely, and I look forward to opening the tent every day to take it all in.

Monday of next week will begin week 6 of flower, so I will be planning the last literal 'bud cut' in the form of bud back building, courtesy of an @Light Addict thread from 2014 on backbuilding buds. I found that thread while space surfing (you know, getting so high you scroll for hours and wind up coming across cool/weird stuff to do to your plants) and thought I'd give it a try. Other than that and providing water/feed when needed I won't be doing anything else until harvest.

Thanks for coming by!

Hi everyone! We made it to Sunday, another week down and that much closer to harvesting these bad girls. Nothing huge to update today, other than the AP and Blueberry #1 getting fed, and blueberry #2 still had 1/4G in the res so she didn't get anything. Tomorrow will begin week 6 of flower for all 3, so we're looking for 4 more weeks to go.

Based on the development on all 3 plants I chose today to go ahead and begin the bud backbuilding process. I linked the forum post where I found this method in my previous post. The general premise is to stop the upwards growth and development on the buds themselves to force the growth hormone, auxin, down into the buds forcing them to swell horizontally instead of vertically. It sounds crazy, cutting material off the buds you've worked hard to develop, but based on the results in that thread it certainly won't hurt to give it a try. About a week after the halfway point in flower is when this can be done, and you just take "three hairs and a bit of green" and that's it. It forces the buds to grow in a more presentable tear-drop shape. I don't sell what I grow so it really doesn't matter, but if it adds an extra gram or two, why not?

This pic shows the tip cut off.

And this pic shows the tip not cut off yet.

It's to be noted I started with the AP and did every bud I could find at the top of the canopy. I did not cut the buds that are on the level below the tops, as I want those buds to still grow vertically and (hopefully) into the bottom of the set above it to create one giant cola. When I started cutting blueberry #2 the difference in material density was staggering. Like, ridiculously noticeable. I mentioned before the AP's buds seem airy and less dense and that's certainly the case here. When I cut into the first bud on B#1, it was almost like cutting into a rock. I'm not joking. The scissors didn't want to go through the material, it wanted to skate on top towards the tip because of how thick and dense the buds are. Additionally after cutting the AP of course I had a bit of sticky stuff on the scissors and my fingers...but when I cut B#1 it was 10 times stickier. Very clear and obvious difference in how sticky the blueberries are compared to the AP.

I don't have a lot of experience growing this plant, but I'm thoroughly pleasantly surprised at how thick the blueberries are. Very very exciting! As you can see from the last pic above there isn't a ton of material that ends up getting removed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on drying/curing the material on the plate? I thought I'd keep it all separate to use as test smoke, but I don't know if it's too early to be doing that or not. Should I try and dry/cure this? Or is it too early and I should just toss it?

High everyone, I hope all is well this week! The last two days have been uneventful other than watching the top buds on all 3 plants noticeably swell horizontally, which shows me the back building seems to be working. We're currently in week 6 of flower on 9 week strains, so we're still looking for 3.5 weeks or so to go.

The AP has presented the same lockout symptoms as the blueberries a few weeks ago, so in the tub she went and received 3 gallons total of water run through the pot (she's in a 1 gallon) and the first gallon was treated with FF Sledgehammer. Easy enough.

Does this next pic look like fox tailing to anyone else? Or perhaps the start of it? I see small juts of material with new stigma growth, so it looks like fox tailing to me but I definitely might be wrong.

Take a look at these closeups, yummy yummy yummy! Especially the 3rd and last pic, notice the dome shape on the top of the bud as compared to a few days ago. It's only been 2 days since I did it, but it appears to be working as intended.

I appreciate you dropping in and reading along! Just a few more weeks and we'll be ready to rock and roll with the most important part of this entire process: dry and cure.

So, let's talk about that. How does everyone prefer to dry and cure their harvest? From my understanding (and limited memory of how I did it last time, 4 years ago...) I'm looking for 60*F, 60% RH, for as long as it takes for branches to snap internally, but remain pliable on the outside. It's to be noted I will be bud washing! I'm sure you can see in the pics, especially as things have frosted up, the cat hair is building and I for one don't want to be smoking my cat's hair.

For the wash I'm planning on 3 five gallon buckets with the first one having equal parts baking soda and lemon juice. Probably 1/2 cup of each I believe? Remaining two buckets will be plain water. Dunk/swish in all 3 and hang to dry.

Once the drying is done I'll be using mason jars with those nifty hygrometers inside and bovida 62% packs. Burp the first week a few times a day, then less the next week, and even less the week after that. Sound about right?

I appreciate any and all techniques in any amount of detail! Thanks for coming in.

I decided to break out the digital scope and see what's what. I only peeked at the AP and BB#1, as #2 is in the back and obviously they aren't ready, or even close, so no reason to finagle trying to get back there and take pics.

The last two pics are from the same bud on the AP, and the first 3 pics are of 3 of the main tops on BB#1. When I was cutting the buds for the back building I noticed the blueberries were quite a bit stickier, and these pics just further prove that because we can see the trichomes are a lot denser than the AP. Really cool to see.

Going with blueberry fast buds next so really excited to see your beautiful buds

I've really enjoyed growing these out so far, and will most likely grow it again. I love the smell, and every week the buds are getting bigger and bigger. You're really going to enjoy growing it!

As for the plants everything is looking really good still. Blueberry #1 is definitely purpling now, with little to no signs on the AP or blueberry #2. All the buds are continuing to enlarge which is great to see. Today marks the end of week 6 in flower, so we're looking for another 3 weeks or so to go.

I set up a new tent specifically for drying, got in my hygrometers and boveda bags, and even picked up a trim bin. Already had the jars. I also got a giant mesh drying rack (without the zippers, because it's in a tent anyway) and I can label each level so I can keep everything separate. The plan is to cut down into main branches removing major fans that don't have any trichomes on them and put them through a wash. After however long at 60*F/60% RH it takes for branches to break, but not snap clean apart, they'll be trimmed up in the fancy bin and jarred. Then the typical curing process will take place, and sometime towards the end of that I'll get the official dry weight. So until then, we'll enjoy the pictures over the next few weeks and just let them do their thing. Thanks for coming in!

Hey everyone! Nothing much to update other than the AP and Blueberry #2 were fed this morning, week 11 on the FF feed chart. BB#1 still has 1/4 G in her res so she didn't get anything. I don't think I mentioned it in the last update, but I ended up feeding #1 from the top a few days ago because of how light she was getting. I also found out my PH pen has been off for probably the last several weeks. Perhaps the deficiencies that have been cropping up are because of that, it would definitely make sense. I got it calibrated back to where it needs to be so I don't foresee any additional problems in that regard. Hopefully :). Either way, beginner mistake: calibrate the pens more often. Live and learn!

The buds are swelling and smell just like fresh fruit. I find myself leaving the tent open for more time than need be because it makes my entire house smell like a fresh farmer's market. There's almost no gas smell what-so-ever, just straight up fresh fruit. The AP is a bit more 'gassy' if you want to call it that, but you have to be right next to her to smell it. The blueberries overpower any other smells, and I absolutely love it.

Ten days ago I took some pics showing bud size next to a standard bic lighter. Here are some follow-ups to those to show how much they've grown. Check out BB #1, the difference is staggering, and in 10 days at that!

Hi everyone! Happy middle of the week, I hope it's going well. The plants are still cruising along, nothing super crazy to update. The AP and BB2 are showing zero signs of purpling, while BB1 is building the colors nicely.

Thanks for taking a look!

Back
Top Bottom