Attic grow space start up

luckiestman13

I've decided to start putting some ideas together to start my grow. The space I have is in the attic over the garage. It's about 14 ft long and 8 feet high in the center with the ceiling sloping down. I need some ideas on how I can close the space off and how to control the environment within.

photo-191.318178

photo-201.318179

photo-213.318180

I haven't decided yet if I'm using MH, HPS, or LED. But it will be in the 1000w range.

Where do you live, what is your climate like? Wintertime low, Summertime high?

1000 watts will cover an area of 16 to 20 square feet or so. Climate is more important than space.

I do an attik type grow. It's a bitch and makes everything much more difficult. In the summer the heat is impossible. Spilling water sucks, hauling water sucks. I probably pay 125.00 mo more in cooling during the summer than I would if it was downstairs.

However, this was my only option so I have made the best of it.

Thx gents,
I'll repost pics tonight after work. I live in one of the worst climates. Central MN. Scorching hot in the summer way below freezing in the winter.

I plan on partitioning off the space with either plywood or sheet rock and insulating it as well. There are two vents in the roof I can use too. I hope doing this I'll be able to control the environment.

You will need both a/c and heat and a dehumidifier probably. I would enclose it w/ the "green" water resistant drywall for bathrooms and insulate the outside. If you are planning on just personal meds, can't you find a 2x2 foot space inside the house? You can get 3-4 oz each harvest in that space and would be way cheaper. (about 1 oz per month)

While I might be able to find a small space in the house it would be a lot safer in the attic. I would like to grow a lot more.

Theoretically how much can I yield per year from 1 1000 watt bulb

good luck on that attic grow...i live in the midwest..the heat in the summer and the deep freeze in the winter...was too much for me...luckily i have an extra bedrm...with 2 closets...set up a tent in the middle of rm...use the closets for drying..of course my attic isn't insulated...u can do it though...just a lot of work...good luck

i did one :) works great in the fall winter & spring but forget summer to dam hot :( i started at the center and built a box 6' wide by 8' long @ the back of the slope its 4' high put up a wall. I insulated with R30 + the reflective bubble wrap to seal the insulation into the rafter and ran down the back wall. Made my door so it open up (like a draw bridge) and stuffed r30 in that too. every space comes with problem its how you deal with them. First and fore most run ur fan duct before stuffing insulation. Figure 6" or 8" can fan to exhaust and suck lighting heat. a portable ac unit will suffice as ac and dehumidifying. be careful these units weigh 60+ lbs dont know how your getting into ur attic i have to climb and climbing with the ac is impossible, trust me i tried, i plan on getting one of those harbor freight winches to lift mine next yr. Now it comes to heat. i use a 1500 watt oil filled rad on a thermostat set to come on @65 now i also use a light controller on a thermo to shut down hid lighting @90. What is going to make or break it is being able to control temps. so insulate the room as best as u can. Also a god send was getting a ro unit and plumbing it to my room and also adding a drain so i can drain my resv from in the room. so after that i added a chiller for fall and spring so i can keep resv temps right on. other then that get it going and test it out :)

here are some pics

New_room_31.JPG
room_door.JPG
room114.JPG

thank u MIWA & OG13 :)

I had 4 in soil and a flood and flow tray with 4going in my space the pots were under the 600 and the tray under 2 150s. (yield about a 1/2L with 4 ending early) it was tight but do able this round i an doing 2 3'- 4" pvc NFTs draining into my flood tray 15-20 gal resv. The 4" will have 3-3" net pots each. then in the tray i will do either 4X4" blocks or 2x6" blocks haven't got that far yet i am still vegging moms and clipping :( and its taking for ever :) hope to have them going in a wk or two. By the way this is just my flower box my veg closet is separate, wish i had room to add here but haven't found a way or time yet

sorry the heat comes on @ 65& below , shuts off at 66 My lights do well as heat but never ran my box during the frozen cold of winter, well i built mine last winter and started growing around march i think ? ran through July but got way to dam hot even running lighting @ night

I run 3 x 600 year round. In the summer, temps outside the box can be 100-110. Inside it's 82, 50-60%RH and 1500ppm co2.

To accomplish this I use a 1/2 hp chiller to cool the lights, an 8000btu window AC mounted in the box and a 70 pint dehumidifier that is also water cooled.

My system uses 50% more power in the summer than winter. I haven't had to heat in the winter. Usually the dehuey is enough heat when the lights are out.

11365.jpg

I'm starting a grow room in my attic as well I'm currently installing the insulation now. I have a 7000 btu portable AC unit. 1; 400w hps light with room to grow, I have the ballast sitting outside my grow area. I have 18 gallon rez with a foat valve which will supply my water (huge help), one oscillating fan, water pump, air pumps and etc...I had an electrician come install 3; 240v outlets, 3; 120v outlets. Am I missing anything? I'm also concerned with the heat.

How is this grow going? I grow in my loft before,, never again thoughb was cheaper 2 buy my smoke of the local thiefs (dealers). Did you have any heat issues? Peace and bud

I'm starting a grow room in my attic as well I'm currently installing the insulation now. I have a 7000 btu portable AC unit. 1; 400w hps light with room to grow, I have the ballast sitting outside my grow area. I have 18 gallon rez with a foat valve which will supply my water (huge help), one oscillating fan, water pump, air pumps and etc...I had an electrician come install 3; 240v outlets, 3; 120v outlets. Am I missing anything? I'm also concerned with the heat.

Have you thought about using LED lighting to reduce heat and electric bills? Also I plan on training mine to be short and squat and avoid the upper level heat in the attic. I had a roofer install 4 whirlybirds and the attic stays nice and temperate.

I also plan on having a plummer run a fill and drain line up to my attic from my bathroom, so minimal spillage.

I am also an attic grower. This is my first grow and every thing seems ok at the moment. I am using a 600w hps cooltube to keep the temp down when it is warm but I do not have to much of a problem with heat as I live in north of england. Hopefully when the weather gets really cold I am hoping the light without the fan on will give off enough heat and only need to use a heater when the light is off. Here is a picture of my grow
week9a.JPG

Back
Top Bottom