Attn: Budget Growers!

Rahlow

i live in an area where the economy sucks and local garden supply house price gouge because it's a tourist destination and there are a lot of farmers in the area who can afford to pay the prices. But a lot of us small guys who are in it just for medicinal purposes can't. So my question is...What and how is the cheapest way to start a project? Can I use products from "HD" and "WM"? If so what should I use for a small indoor project? Can I make this happen?

Re: Attn: Budget Growers!!!!!!!!

There are ways to get a budget grow going with supplies from HD. But are they really worth it?

CFL bulbs with a color temperature of 6500K will work for vegative growth and 2700k will work for flowering. You will need 10 or more in both color spectrums. HD also has some reflective material to line the walls of your area, but flat white paint will work fine too.

When it comes to nutes I wouldn't go the cheap route. OC+ is great but you will no longer have control over your feeding. Lowes sells organic liquids like kelp and fish emulsion and also blood meal and bone meal, they will get you going.

As far as soils go. None of the soil at HD should be trusted, it is low cost because it is low quality and contain bugs. You would be better off growing in a hempy bucket.

I think in the end it comes out the same though. the money you spend on bulbs and sockets will get you a nice 400w switchable light setup.

You may spend a bit more for tried and trued nutes for cannabis but you will have peace of mind that they work. You could go through half a dozen shultz or MG ferts before you find one that works well for your plant.

If you have a forest or big woods around you then grab a shovel and do some searching, I am being serious, if you know what to look for you can get soil there that is 10x better than the stuff at HD. Just make sure you treat (clean and bake) and sweeten (add D.lime, perlite,etc...) the soil before you use it.

CFLs are a great and relatively low cost way to light an indoor grow without breaking the bank. Both HD and Lowes sell 45 watt and 65 watt CFL bulbs in both 6400k for veg and 2700-3000k for bloom. Match those up with some of those clamp on shop light fixtures and you are in business!

I would stay away from anything less than 40 watt bulbs though. They are worth the slightly higher prices. Pick up a 6 pack if they offer one for more savings.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

I found a AH close by that has organic soil for around 13 bucks and chicken manure for the same price. The same person who gave my the plants also gave me (2) 12"x12" LED set- ups. I'm using those with a 40w CFL in a clip-on lamp. I forgot to mention that I'm doing this in a 24"x24" space? Can this be done?

Welcome to 420 mag. Look for a flower food at hd or wm called osmocote plus. And stay away from miracle grow. Good luck

I already made the mistake of using Miracle Grow 5 days ago. But they still look healthy. Had a few burn spots on the leaves. Should I not fertilize for a while? I'm going to use chicken manure next time.

I already made the mistake of using Miracle Grow 5 days ago. But they still look healthy. Had a few burn spots on the leaves. Should I not fertilize for a while? I'm going to use chicken manure next time.

I only add nutes during veg about 3 times a month. The rest of the time just plain water. The biggest mistake growers make is getting far too carried away with introducing fertilizers and the ever expanding list of "gimmick" products to the soil.

When it comes to growing anything well... LESS IS MORE! :thumb:

I found a AH close by that has organic soil for around 13 bucks and chicken manure for the same price. The same person who gave my the plants also gave me (2) 12"x12" LED set- ups. I'm using those with a 40w CFL in a clip-on lamp. I forgot to mention that I'm doing this in a 24"x24" space? Can this be done?

Sounds good to me. They sell Y splitters to add another bulb or more to your clip-on at HD they are like $3 and very handy.

I haven't used LED yet but I hear good things about them.

When feeding time comes start by giving them 1/4 the amount listed on the ferts if they are chemical based, then ramp up. Goldengoose is right in saying less is better. They don't need much nutes.

The size of your grow space is fine as long as you have a way to remove the heat. PC fans are a good way to achieve that because they are small and won't get in your way.

When you get under way snap some shots of your grow. We would like to see it.

:thumb:

Thanks for your help guys I'll start taking pics as this goes...

Back
Top Bottom