Back Garden Tropical Grow

Zeppelina,

Thank you for your interest. It is now ten days since I made the transplant, so it is time for some new pictures: I will post them tomorrow. From my research and what I can see on the plant, there is a good chance of this being a girl. However, the experts don't want to conclude yet. When I state this most likely is a girl, I base it on the shape of the Calyx being clearly pointed. With my lack of experience I could be wrong, but they are very close to the female examples in the pictures below.

male1-1024x794.jpg

male2-1024x816.jpg

female-1024x753.jpg

female2-1024x765.jpg

Second thoughts on sexing

From what I have recently learned about Thai strains, many of them have a long flowering time. I also know that new branches can be mistaken for Calyx. My plant is now five weeks old, so I will give it a little more time before I try sexing again. You can write off the previous post on the account of over-eager amateur...

Ha Ha. We all stare at the plants and wonder and try to guess- but we just have to wait. Yes- sativas take a long time to flower. Eleven or twelve weeks is about the minimum.
I've heard some people say that the sex of the plant will usually show up at the seventh node. I haven't yet decided if that's true or not.

Dont worry, RedFarang. I reported seeing pistils, weeks before I actually had some. lol

P.S. We want pictures...

37 days old

P.S. We want pictures...

Ok, Sorenna - here you go:

From sowing, the plant is 5 weeks old today. It is approximately 8 inches tall and the foliage diameter is 4 inches.
Before transplant, it was suffering from over-watering: The lowest leafs grew partly in the old soil, whereas the top two inter-nodes have sprung out after transplant. As you cant tell, they look a lot healthier.

May_25.jpg

Yes! It looks so much better now! Nice work. And thank you kindly for the picture. :blushsmile:

Yes! It looks so much better now! Nice work. And thank you kindly for the picture. :blushsmile:

I should be the one to do the thanking around here. You are all very supportive and kind offering some of your experience and time commenting on my first grow.

:Namaste:

Trouble on day 50

Ok, so I am 50 days into my grow, three weeks after transplant.

In accordance with advice from Weaselcracker, I have kept the soil moist, but not soaked. I did not always follow the general rule of checking the top layer being dry before watering again. Perhaps I have over-watered a little, but I know draining is working very well.

About a week ago (day 43) growth seemed to slow down, rapidly followed by yellowing of the top leaf only. I added a small amount of Nitrogen pellets, however this did not seem to work. Yesterday I took it one step further by feeding diluted urine and minced fish meat.

The reason for adding urine was to give the plant a well-balanced meal, as per the online-guides and advice given to me by Bapple here in the journal as well. I gave it fish because the top leaf looked like it was suffering from Sulfur deficiency. (See illustration marked by red square)

Today, it seems the healthy green color is returning, but I am not sure. At least it did not get worse.

The stem is strong and flexible, not completely hardened, but not weak either. New sprouts – yet small - are appearing on all inter-nodes. Some of them could be pistils, but they are just too small to decide yet.

In addition to the added fertilizer, I will be more careful about watering, checking the top layer to be dry before adding more.

When should I expect improvement, and what would the next step be, apart from what I already did and plan on doing?

Rip

It is over, and what caused it was a minor story I did not even bother to share before:

About a week ago, the plant fell over in an afternoon squall. I had covered it plant from above, and did not bother to remove it from the garden. I should have because one wind gust took it down. I picked it up immediately and dusted it off. For the next few days it seemed to grow normally, and I did not think more about it.

However, inspecting the plant closer today, the stem was almost broken an inch below the surface. After this nasty discovery, I tried to clone the plant by cutting it in a 45º angle further up the stem, but I don't know if it can root properly. We will see in a week or two.

The most important lesson learned from this first grow was: Young plants are fragile and vulnerable. Seedlings need structural support and the plant must have proper draining. Provided I can get my hands on normal quality seeds, I think my next grow will bring success.

Thank you everyone for your great support. Special props to Weaselcracker!

All the best,

RF

P.S. Now I am heading over to Seedsman...

Im very sorry to hear about your plant. :(

I can see that you learned a great deal so your next attempt will be successful.

Good luck to you.

I'm sorry to hear this RF. Glad you're looking for new seeds though. I've enjoyed hearing from you and your part of the world. Please stick around and do another journal!! Ok?
Re the plant, I was going to say overwatering problems, leading to stunted or rotting roots. I can't think of what else would likely cause that yellowing.
Young cannabis plants don't need much fertilizer. I'm guessing that it would be rare to find any sort of soil so depleted that it didn't have enough food in it to sustain a young plant. As they say- the real food that matters for plants is sunshine. Fertilizer is more in the category of vitamins - keeps things working so they can take advantage of the sun. Usually the problems come from being unable to access the nutrients somehow-PH issues and overwatering I think would be the most common problems.
Could you maybe dig up the roots and see what the situation looks like down there?

Hi RedFarang, Im sorry to hear about your loss.
The good thing is that you learned quite a lot in the process and there will be many mistakes you wont make again.
I can humbly offer you the following advice;

- Do not use soil from your garden, it is a vector of plant pathogens; if you live in a rural área, I suggest you to look for compost (organic fertilizer made by turning a large pile of vegetable matter and manure) if not you can start making your own compost, even better if you use red worms of the type called Eisenia fetida; mix the compost with rice hulls (I bet you will not have a problem finding those) and if you can also find it, add either peat moss or coco coir. The ratio I use is 5 parts peat or coco, 2 parts rice hulls and 3 parts compost (you may instead use 3 parts rice hulls and 2 compost if you feel like the compost will be too strong for the plants)

- Dont start the seedlings outside; they are very tender and vulnerable by this stage. It is better to put them under a flourescent light until they have developed some branching and have enough foliage. Then you can start to harden them off by taking them outside and putting them under the morning sun for an hour or two, and gradually increase the hours of exposure each day until they can withstand the hot sun in your área and settle permanently outside.

-If you have problems with insects, I recommend you to make a pesticide by cooking a whole pack of cigarretes (remove the filter) in a gallon of wáter until the liquid looks like a strong tea. Then put some very spicy peppers in the blender with some wáter, strain and add the spicy liquid to the tobacco tea, mix well and strain with a cloth to remove small particles. Add a spoon or two of liquid soap. Put in a spraying bottle and apply all over and under the leaves of your plant. Use sparingly, do not use during flowering. Insects will come bite the leaf and die very quickly.

-Better if you dont use pelletized fertilizer. It is usually too strong and can end up hurting your plants, and is very easy to over do it. Try using compost and organic home made teas; look for fertilizer teas in the internet.

I grow using only organic ferts and home made soil mixes with good results. If I can be of any help, you can PM me or post in the thread in my signature. I live in an area with similar weather and is hard to come by with growing supplies over here, so I had to learn how to provide for all the stuff I need by myself.

check these plants under a flourescent using the soil mix entioned above;
upperview2.jpg

groupshot19.jpg

motherplants1.jpg

Dont let apparent failure let you down, there is no failure when growing cannabis; only learning.
Best of wishes my friend and chime in if I can offer my humble help.

Hi RedFarang, Im sorry to hear about your loss.
The good thing is that you learned quite a lot in the process and there will be many mistakes you wont make again.
I can humbly offer you the following advice;

- Do not use soil from your garden, it is a vector of plant pathogens; if you live in a rural área, I suggest you to look for compost (organic fertilizer made by turning a large pile of vegetable matter and manure) if not you can start making your own compost, even better if you use red worms of the type called Eisenia fetida; mix the compost with rice hulls (I bet you will not have a problem finding those) and if you can also find it, add either peat moss or coco coir. The ratio I use is 5 parts peat or coco, 2 parts rice hulls and 3 parts compost (you may instead use 3 parts rice hulls and 2 compost if you feel like the compost will be too strong for the plants)

- Dont start the seedlings outside; they are very tender and vulnerable by this stage. It is better to put them under a flourescent light until they have developed some branching and have enough foliage. Then you can start to harden them off by taking them outside and putting them under the morning sun for an hour or two, and gradually increase the hours of exposure each day until they can withstand the hot sun in your área and settle permanently outside.

-If you have problems with insects, I recommend you to make a pesticide by cooking a whole pack of cigarretes (remove the filter) in a gallon of wáter until the liquid looks like a strong tea. Then put some very spicy peppers in the blender with some wáter, strain and add the spicy liquid to the tobacco tea, mix well and strain with a cloth to remove small particles. Add a spoon or two of liquid soap. Put in a spraying bottle and apply all over and under the leaves of your plant. Use sparingly, do not use during flowering. Insects will come bite the leaf and die very quickly.

-Better if you dont use pelletized fertilizer. It is usually too strong and can end up hurting your plants, and is very easy to over do it. Try using compost and organic home made teas; look for fertilizer teas in the internet.

I grow using only organic ferts and home made soil mixes with good results. If I can be of any help, you can PM me or post in the thread in my signature. I live in an area with similar weather and is hard to come by with growing supplies over here, so I had to learn how to provide for all the stuff I need by myself.

Best of wishes my friend and chime in if I can offer my humble help.

This was a really excellent post. Constructive and encouraging. :blushsmile:

Thank you very much Sorenna. I forgot to mention you should use security glasses and a mouth cover or something to avoid breating the mist of the tobacco/hot pepper pesticide. Nicotine is nasty and clearly evil, and chile habanero is better kept off your body altogether.

I read once that nicotine is used to treat certain kinds of dementia; I used to be a cigarrete smoker myself, really nasty stuff. It shouldnt be used for human comsumption.

Yeah I used to smoke it too. On and off, generally hating myself for doing it because of the physical toll it took. But when all is said and done- there were certain moments when having a smoke of tobacco was a really really pleasurable thing. So I can't say it's all bad. It is what it is. In my part of the world we often use a pinch of tobacco as an offering to the spirits when a person or animal companion passes. The tobacco companies though, and their super addictive factory made death sticks, I have always known as the enemy. I also grew some tobacco in my garden, including Hopi tobacco, which I really liked though it is very strong.

Back
Top Bottom