Backyard soil?

Highat33

420 Member
In the back patio of my apartment, I have two piles of leaves that I have been sweeping into the corner over the past few years and it looks like it has been composting into a sizeable amount of soil. Is there any chance this is decent soil to grow in?

Thats really cool stuck inside staring at the walls idea! I bet its awesome to grow in, added with the right other ingredients. I don't know much about mixing but I'd say you could confidently call that the "compost" portion of a nice organic soil mixture.

I did a search (top right side of the green bar in the forum) for soil mix compost and it came up with some results that need some wading through but I did quickly find this as a example of what people put in their soil. CHeers mate, gl! :yahoo:

Organic soil amendments & additives

I wrote mine up for someone yesterday.

Soil Mix

Soil Base
  • Aged Bark
  • Bat Guano
  • Coco Coir
  • Perlite
  • Sphagnum Peat Moss
  • Volcanic Ash
  • Worm Castings
  • Fish Bone Meal
  • Feather Meal
  • Green Sand
  • Mycorrhizae
  • Glacial Rock Dust
  • Soybean Meal
  • Humic Acid
Added Dry Amendments
  • Blood Meal
  • Langbeinite
  • Alfalfa Meal
  • Seabird Guano
  • Rock Phosphate
  • Kelp Meal
  • Earthworm Castings
  • Great White Mycorrhizae
  • Local Compost

Thanks @AdaminCO ! You soil mixers have quite a list! What would you tell me if I asked what to put into it to make just basic soil so I have a medium to add liquid nutes to?

OP - yes you can use your leaf compost. There should be some worms in there as well. Rake off the top layer of leaves and use the black dirt that is underneath the top layer.

Its commonly called leaf mold in the gardening world. So if you want to look up how people us it thats a good start.

We've been using leaf compost for many many years. There are some drawbacks tho. Be sure the leaves are NOT sycamore leaves. They do not compost well and also can carry a virus called anthracnose and it will pass into your plants. Yeah hoo-man not the only living things that get viruses.

You should look up a soil mix that you like and use SOME of the leaf mold as your humus input if you want to grow organically.

I use a mix called "coots mix". Can google it for the recipe.

Basically 3 ingredients:

Humus
peat moss
Aeration - per-lite/rice hulls etc

1/3 of each above and add amendments.

I use a very basic mix added to the above.

Amendments:

Kelp meal
Neem and Karanja cake
Crustacean meal
Malted Barley

Minerals:
Gypsum flour
Brix Blend Basalt dust
Glacial rock dust
Oyster Shell flour

Most all of these you should find locally cept for the neem and Karanja Cake.

This is a water only organic mix.

I also add WOW = Wallace Organic Wonder mycos at every up pot and put roots in direct contact with the mycos.

Back
Top Bottom