Ballast at 100%

Phaaaze

From my reading it's a good idea to flower under more light then you veg under.

So my question is when do I turn my ballast(s) up to 1000w. I'm running two SE 1000w HPS dimmed down to 750w for most of veg.
I just flipped to flower and wondering if I should crank them up now or when I see pistils in a week or two.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191024-194835.png
    Screenshot_20191024-194835.png
    397.6 KB · Views: 56
Google, here, and a few other forums.
that just means your 1000 watt will cover say 5x5 in veg and 4x4 in flower...

dont dim your lights....

I blast my 1000 W mh at full power from about 3 weeks till the last month of flowering, at which point I may turn down to 750 W since the flowers are closer to the hid and it can degrade resin

I'm trying the 2 week in thing now I don't think I lost anything as far as growth but I didn't do a true side by side
I just got this used ballast and had to try because they was kinda small and 1k seemed like a waist but now they're spread out and full throttle
Side note is when you dim your 1k bulb down your not getting the goodie out of the bulb meaning a true 750 bulb/ ballast combo will give better spectrum than a dimmed one don't know if I'm saying that right not enough coffee yet that's why 10gal said not to dim it

You do lose some efficiency when you dim a HID bulb. But then - when people dim their light obviously they want it to be dimmer, so losing efficiency isn’t usually a concern. The dim switch is a useful tool when you need it. I keep my flowering bulbs cranked to 100%. In the veg room I often dim the bulb to slow growth down- when I’m short on space and waiting for room in flowering, or want to leave home for a week and can’t be there to water, etc.

You do lose some efficiency when you dim a HID bulb. But then - when people dim their light obviously they want it to be dimmer, so losing efficiency isn’t usually a concern. The dim switch is a useful tool when you need it. I keep my flowering bulbs cranked to 100%. In the veg room I often dim the bulb to slow growth down- when I’m short on space and waiting for room in flowering, or want to leave home for a week and can’t be there to water, etc.
I didn't really have any veg lighting other than MH so my next round I'll invest into a t5 to use for the first two weeks.

It’s really no problem other than you’re paying for 750 watts and not getting the 750w worth you could be. But yeah- overkill unless you have a large veg space.

Back
Top Bottom