Ballast Question

fortphoenix

Hey i was wondering if anyone here owns a 600w sun leaves magnetic ballast that they could tell me the operating/running wattage on it is? also how loud/hot does it get?? this is the ballast I’m talking about Hydroponics | Sunleaves Ballast 6w HPS | Grow Lights

Im also wondering if anyone has a 600w phantom II ballast or had a bunch operating at the same time that could tell me if they had RFI problems?? if you could tell me the operating wattage on the phantom too id appreciate it

also do you think a Hortilux would be the best bulb choice for either ballast?
id be running them on 240v if that makes a difference

thanks

Standard magnetic ballast generally run 10% higher wattage than stated so what you are looking at on average will be 660 watts of use.

Magnetic ballast get pretty warm so they need to be in a open space most should be RFI shielded these days in less a totally budget ballast !

Most common types of HPS/MH will be fine with magnetic ballasts tho... just check voltage of the bulb first as others may offer like the 400 volt commercial type bulbs perhaps some CMH aka ceramic metal halide bulbs operate at a different volt/wattage.

Digital ballast are alright if ya wanna spend a little extra & run cooler, running slightly lower total running wattage about 5% when compared to magnetic types.

Digital come in dimmable versions some offer a super lumen function or just as standard wattage per bulb type !

I don't get into dimmable to much as it lowers total out put of light or PAR/Umol this sort of stuff can effect your total grow in some ways...

Watch out for super lumen function with brand name ballast these can pop/blow your most common types of bulbs with in a few grows so it is best to use their own brand name bulb with their ballast & in general toughen by design to support the super lumen function.

Sorry i can not comment on those ballast mention i'm afraid but offer a general insight :thumb:

Standard magnetic ballast generally run 10% higher wattage than stated so what you are looking at on average will be 660 watts of use.

Magnetic ballast get pretty warm so they need to be in a open space most should be RFI shielded these days in less a totally budget ballast !

Most common types of HPS/MH will be fine with magnetic ballasts tho... just check voltage of the bulb first as others may offer like the 400 volt commercial type bulbs perhaps some CMH aka ceramic metal halide bulbs operate at a different volt/wattage.

Digital ballast are alright if ya wanna spend a little extra & run cooler, running slightly lower total running wattage about 5% when compared to magnetic types.

Digital come in dimmable versions some offer a super lumen function or just as standard wattage per bulb type !

I don't get into dimmable to much as it lowers total out put of light or PAR/Umol this sort of stuff can effect your total grow in some ways...

Watch out for super lumen function with brand name ballast these can pop/blow your most common types of bulbs with in a few grows so it is best to use their own brand name bulb with their ballast & in general toughen by design to support the super lumen function.

Sorry i can not comment on those ballast mention i'm afraid but offer a general insight :thumb:
hey thanks for the reply i appreciate it

Ah another thing i forgot to mention was that magnetic ballast degrade over time & basically they start to use more electicity/wattage over the years...

I'm not sure at what point or age they start to do this ? but more likely after a good few years.

Back
Top Bottom