Dimming Ballasts

twnewell

Trying to find some information on different ballasts and wattage and bulbs. Found this HERE and was wondering if you Guys/Girls have had much if any experience with dimming your ballast's. I was wondering if running a ballast on a lower wattage will help prolong life of a bulb or if doing so would affect the light produced.

If you have any knowledge in this area please feel free to inlighten me.

I couldn't find my balast instructions so I googled it. It not only diminishes the life of the bulb it throws off the correct spectrum as well. Dimming at 50% or greater can diminish HPS an MH bulbs as much as 90%.

This is exactly what i was looking for. So lets say your right (and i assume you are) whats the sense of having the dimmer at all? I guess i get it if you want to keep the heat down, but loosing the strength of the light spectrum doesn't seam to be worth it. It would be more beneficial to just buy a lower wattage bulb.

With that said, could i run a 1000 watt ballast, dimmed to 600 watts, and use a 600 watt bulb?

This is exactly what i was looking for. So lets say your right (and i assume you are) whats the sense of having the dimmer at all? I guess i get it if you want to keep the heat down, but loosing the strength of the light spectrum doesn't seam to be worth it. It would be more beneficial to just buy a lower wattage bulb.

With that said, could i run a 1000 watt ballast, dimmed to 600 watts, and use a 600 watt bulb?
Also in those same instructions it mentions the dimmer is only to be used when you're in the "garden" as not to be so bright :peace:

IDK about that o_O it's still a 1000w, whether it's dimmed or not, so a 600w bulb may not last long if you do try

Do it and let’s find out. :popcorn:
This is probably not a good idea. I’d nev advise anyone to try anything that could possibly cause a equipment malfunction. Something like this could cause the lost of a crop at the best, or a fire and loss of home and life.
Please never try to get someone to do something risky like this on a whim.

You ask for knowledge from someone else that has more information than you have. You dont experiment with running a lower wattage bulb in a higher wattage ballast. You know how I know that? I asked the question so I wouldn’t have to take a risk. Asking a question is much better than telling someone to try something.

Please, not trying to be a asshole at all, don’t make this mistake again.

You ask for knowledge from someone else that has more information than you have. You dont experiment with running a lower wattage bulb in a higher wattage ballast. You know how I know that? I asked the question so I wouldn’t have to take a risk. Asking a question is much better than telling someone to try something.

Please, not trying to be a asshole at all, don’t make this mistake again.
IDK man...I was kinda ready too...:popcorn: cuz I mean, someone has to try it for the first time :rofl: not saying it should be you or anything but...

I own 3 high dollar Lumatek digital ballasts that have several dim settings below the maximum. These ballasts adjust frequency and power output to maximize the light at each setting and maintain the life of the bulb. I have never heard that running at a lower setting has any adverse effect on the bulbs, and as far as I could tell, the bulbs aged at about the same rate whether you were running them at a reduced output or at the full rated wattage. I think that the quality of your ballast has a whole lot to do with the answers to your question, and definitely a digital ballast is better than a magnetic one that has no ability to adjust to its situation, and the bulb it is working with.

Back
Top Bottom