Battery acid to control pH - a whole new thread

Bill C

When my plants are in Bloom, the pH is fairly stable. I have to make a slight adjustment 2 days after a nute change, but it stays within the 5.2 - 5.9 range for hydro the rest of the week.

However, during the few weeks I veg them, the pH tends to rise quite a bit. Ideally, I would prefer to use nitric acid for pH control as I figure the extra N won't hurt during the grow period. Unfortunately, since nitric acid is an ingredient used by some wacos to blow things up, I don't really want to ask for it.

I've looked at pH down products which tend to be phosphoric acid. While the extra P may be good in bloom, do I really want to give them extra during grow?

I heard someone mention battery acid one time on a forum long since forgotten (it might have been here!), so I looked a little closer. Battery acid is simply 30% sulphuric acid (h2so4). So as the reaction takes place for pH control, sulphur is released into the nute solution.

I've seen the plant abuse charts that mention sulphur toxicity, but I've never seen it myself. According to Spectrum Analytic, "Sulfur toxicity for practical purposes should be considered as non-existent. Excessive applications most often result in a depression of soil pH and an increase of the problems that occur with the pH decrease. In fact, sulfur uptake is reduced as the pH of the soil decreases."

In a study conducted by Richard M. Cooper & Jane S. Williams (I know... who??? nonetheless, a couple of people with more letters after their names than I have), not only is sulphur well suited as a fungicide as a foliar spray (this has been known for thousands of years), they found that plants with a higher sulphur content were less likely to become infested to begin with. They talked specifically about PM.

I'm in my second year of using it, have not had PM since (knock on wood!), and the girls seem to be very happy. Mileage will vary, but in my setup, I've found that 0.5 mL per gallon will drop the pH by a full point, so use slowly and let it adjust for at least 5 minutes, if not more. It seems to drop slow and steady for a while. It's available at any auto parts store for $4 a quart.

So, it's on the table. Am I completely insane, or have others tried it and what results were obtained? I have no complaints after over a year, although I have to admit I held my breath the first week I started using it. Part of my brain said it'd be fine, but the other part kept yelling, "IT'S BATTERY ACID!" ha!

I have been trying to figure out how to bring my pH down for a while now. Your idea of the battery acid makes a lot of sense. I am going to give it a try today. My pH is at 7 to 7.5 and I just can't get it down. Will let you know. Thanks for sharing this.

I wouldn't call myself an expert on pH control or anything, but that was the information I found when looking into it. I've had great results using it so far. The EC does rise by a few hundredths, but that's insignificant.

I was in a pet shop yesterday, and happened to glance at the label on a bottle of pH Down for aquariums. Sulphuric acid was the listed component, so clearly it is safe for fish. Since sulphur was a primary infection fighting agent in humans prior to the discovery of penicillin, it makes sense it'd be safe for animals.

I found aluminum sulfate at the feed store. It is an instant "downer" on the pH level. I mixed it in water and poor it over the soil. The pH meter jumped down right away from 7.5 to 5.5. It stabilized back up to 6.5-7.0. I am not sure if I should make another batch of it and give the plants another treatment. Any idea?

Both are much stronger than you really need. I would say you leave it alone with the AlSO4, as the soil dries the concentrations become more complicated and your pH will bottom out. How are you testing pH? Soil meters are useless, you should test runthrough.

How are you testing pH? Soil meters are useless, you should test runthrough.

I am using a Soil Master probe. A 2-prong probe with a switch to test pH, light, and wet-ness level. I keep it 2-3 inches into the pot when testing. It currently reads almost 7. I push it in deeper, to 5-6 in deeps, and it reads 5.5.
I will leave it alone from now on. I just started the Super Bloom yesterday, right after I poured the diluted aluminum sulfate. I am crossing my fingers. This is my very first grow, ever. I started with 15 plants and I now am down to 2. These plants were started from seed in early March. They started indoor. Then, went outdoor where they got attacked by bugs (leave miners) and hot Texas sun. I brought them back in into a room that was constant 98 degrees. I now have them in the house in air conditioned environment. I am also starting a new seedling process and hope to have that batch by the end of Fall.

I use The cheap General Hydroponics test kit, those soil master probes were useless to get a accurate reading. Test the water that comes out after watering like Maer said above, swirl it around a bit to get good average. I water twice a week cause I put holes in the sides of my pots for more air getting to the roots. I also add 35% food grade H2O2 to my water every time I water. (1/2 teaspoon per gal.) I write down all my plants that are also numbered. It lets me know when ones having problems. If it's going towards low I give it a stronger PH and let it run through again and reverse if it's too high. It means more hassle but easier to catch it now then later.

I use The cheap General Hydroponics test kit, those soil master probes were useless to get a accurate reading. Test the water that comes out after watering like Maer said above, swirl it around a bit to get good average.

I did not quite understand what "runthrough" was until you explained it here. That is awesome advice. Thanks to both for great coaching.

"Run through" is the water that comes out at the bottom of the plant after you water. The is for soil watering not Hydroponics.

I found aluminum sulfate at the feed store. It is an instant "downer" on the pH level. I mixed it in water and poor it over the soil. The pH meter jumped down right away from 7.5 to 5.5. It stabilized back up to 6.5-7.0. I am not sure if I should make another batch of it and give the plants another treatment. Any idea?

Interesting. I never thought to use aluminum sulfate. And we've got some of it for Mrs. C's rhode... roada... big pretty flowers! Which reminds me of something else. Mrs. C found an article that talked about using pine needles as mulch around her plants instead of an application of AlSO4. It seems to work somewhat, but I thought the plants looked a little better when we were pouring on AlSO4.

Back
Top Bottom