Beginner-Hand fed hydroponic-Dying seedling?

MintCoffee

Hydro Grow

This is my first post-I hope I don't void any of the rules, If I do please let me know.

Strain - unknown (seeds found in herb)
# of plants - 1
Grow Type - Hydro
Grow Stage - Vegitation
Setup - "passive hydroponics"/"hand fed hydroponic
Light - 1 CFL & +-2 floresent lights
Nutrients - "slow releasing ferterizer" & potting soil
Medium - 90%Perlite 10%potting soil
PPM - Unknown- not even sure what it is
PH - Unknown, no ph testing kit yet
RH - unknown
Room Temperature - 80 to 86
Solution Temperature -65 to 69
Room Square Footage - 20
Pests - None Known
Reservoir size - 2-3 inches in bottom of plastic tub
Water type - tap... Perhaps it's killing my plant, thoughts?

So here is the short and quick. I started off in a 2 in tall 3 in around plastic cup. Soil did not hold and absorb water without running out or excessive soil compression and wetting at the bottom of the up with significantly less moisture in top of soil.

Seedling sprouted, 2 point leafs sprouted and then I re-potted due to next to 0 water flow and in ability to control moisture.

Was using natural light cycle with likely limited or shorted light cycle.

Plant sprouted quickly within 4 days it went from seed to 4 leafs -2 being seedling leafs.

after re-potting (in poor soil) no additional growth noted for a whole day.

Finally got freaked out and ended up re-potting in current 90/10 perlite-potting soil. Got grow lights yesterday and now using 24 hour lite cycle. After first re-pot there was a noted shrinking in the two new pointed leafs- less than 1/4 of an inch each with 1/3 inch seedling leafs.

After the transplant and 24 h light cycle the seedling leafs continued shrinking and browning/purpling? The root is about 4 in long with no sprouts and very thin. The perlite is flushed with water and then left sitting in 1-2 in of water in reservoir. Recently introduced "slow releasing fertilizer which came with a plant purchase.

The real questions is can this plant be saved and can I find a way to provide nutrients to my plants? I am re-potting some bonsais in new soil in hanging plants and adding the slow releasing fertilizer. I plan on hanging these plants above a reservoir to collect run off. The run off then gently drips into the growing pot with the seedling which then collects in the bottom reservoir and then is recycled back through the top. The second question would then be, Is the run off and the slow releasing fertilizer a significant nutrient supplement for my plant.

This is only to grow 1 small personal plant. This is temporary and next week I will have fertilizers and maybe a pump.

So to restate:
#1 - is my seedling dying and what is likely the cause?
#2 - Is potting soil run off rich in nutrients?
*imporant note: Other seedling in first container was left, and then never opened it's leafs
fertilizer - Slow Release Bonsai Fertilizer PelletsFree Shipping With Tree Purchase
Soil - Miracle-Gro Potting Mix
Perlite- Miracle-Gro Perlite

pictures help.

seedlings dont really use nutrients until they have roots. seedlings can go two to three weeks needing very little in the form of nutrients.
I would give a light dose of micronutrients now and very light dose of grow nutrients at about three weeks. But pictures are necessary to really help.

Back
Top Bottom