Big-Hitting Attorney Behind Medical Marijuana Effort

Truth Seeker

We very well could see the question of medical marijuana on the ballot next November.

And you might have heard -- Florida super lawyer John Morgan, of Morgan and Morgan, is supporting the proposed constitutional amendment with an ad campaign and more.

This radio ad starts like all the others: "I'm John Morgan of Morgan and Morgan."
But after the opening line, the likely most recognizable voice on the Florida airwaves makes a plea instead of offering legal advice.

"Medical marijuana has been proven to give our loved ones the relief they need," the ad continues.

In February -- the big-hitting Orlando attorney got behind the petition to get the question of medical marijuana on the ballot, saying it gave his father a better quality of life toward the end of his battle with cancer.

"He's certainly been our primary funder," says campaign manager Ben Pollara for "People United," the PAC behind the initiative. "He's a man of his word who gets things done. Whenever I start to have doubts, I call John, and he goes, Ben, you're going to get this done," adds Pollera.

Done deal? Could be. Political science professor, Laura Weir, says Morgan's reach can only help.

"That's going to add a very powerful public interest influence to getting the signatures on the petition," says Weir. He's very respected in Florida. I think yes, that his endorsement is going to make a huge difference," she adds.

Not only that, but also Morgan is one of the top lobbies in the state.

"I think the odds are very good of getting it on the ballot in November," Weir says.

...which means you could be hearing a lot more of that familiar voice.

Petitions are available at John Morgan's law office in Fort Myers, where we're told people come in regularly to pick them up. If enough signatures are validated, the petition could go to the Supreme Court this week for a review of its language. Then organizers will continue collecting the nearly 700,000 signatures needed to get the amendment on the ballot for 2014.

Coming up tomorrow -- the surprising group of voters who could hold the key to medical marijuana becoming legal in Florida.

Community_Compassion_Center.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: fox4now.com
Author: Liza Fernandez
Website: Big-hitting attorney behind medical marijuana effort - WFTX-TV Fort Myers/Naples, FL

Prescription drug abuse accounts for 75 percent of all drug overdose deaths
in the nation.

The death toll from prescription pill overdoses has more than tripled in the
last decade. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has found that
more than 40 people die every day in the U.S. from overdoses of narcotic
painkillers like hydrocodone, methadone and oxycodone. The prescription
painkillers are responsible for more deaths than heroin (a Schedule I drug)
and cocaine (Schedule II ) combined.

Deaths caused by cannabis...NOT ONE in recorded history.

Please, tell me again why this plant is illegal?

I spent 5 years in Federal Prison for a marijuana offense. While I was there, I watched armed bank robbers come and go in as little as 17 months.

After 3 years 'behind the wall,' I pointed this out to the parole board.
Their response: “You must understand, yours was a very serious offense.”
How do you respond to that mentality?

I laughed about the parole panel's comment for 2 more years (as I still satin prison), then I wrote:

Shoulda Robbed a Bank

No, it is not a treatise on disproportionate sentences. The book details the escapades that led to my incarceration. I admit, I had a great time. No one was injured, no one was killed, firearms were not involved...there were no victims.

We were human beings, pursuing happiness in our own way. Harming no one...nor their property.

That’s my contribution to helping point out just how ludicrous our pot laws truly are.

All we're asking is for rights we used to have (growing and using cannabis) to be restored unto us. It was most certainly legal to use and grow this plant when the constitution was written. For all we know, some of it's best parts may be been drafted over a well packed pipe!

Here's the deal in Florida.

One of Morgan's law firm's "employees" is Charlie Crist. Charlie will be running for governor against the despised Governor Scott soon. Morgan is pushing the marijuana referendum to get the youth vote to help put one of his people into the governor's seat in Tallahassee next election.

In a way I suppose it's good that being for pot is possible now, but don't be naive. Morgan's real motives, in my humble opinion, are that loveable couple, power and money. Even if the referendum passes in Florida, the right wing gobbers in our shameful state legislation will drag out the implementation for years because the referendum is poorly written. It has no enforcement powers. Even if it's passed, there's nothing real to force legislation or action. This was written by lawyers, remember. You're welcome to assume the poor wording was a slip up, but these guys pour over every word.

I got all excited about this when it first came out. My wife and I tried to sign it by mail, but the letter got returned. The address I used was exactly the same as the address on the petition web site. That's when I started to wonder about the referendum and look closer at the wording. The closer you look, the less there is to see.

Stay real,
Wayne

I feel it is important to note that the petition is only open to registered voters in Florida. That means only Florida residents who are allowed (and registered) to vote can sign it. If you're a felon, well, too bad. If you're from MI or NH or CT or NJ (notherners that us FL folks call snowbirds--they come from other states and countries, too, like Canada), and visit every winter and want your meds, too bad, your voice doesn't count. Sorry for the sad words, folks, but it's the ugly reality. If yer a former screwup, or if you're an outsider, they don't want to hear your say.

Back
Top Bottom