Bill C-45: Canada's Legalization, The Drama Revs Up

I don't really know either. The same exclusion is mentioned in several places of the Highway Act. It looks like it might be a Get-Out-of-Jail-Free card for med users up to a point - at the officer's discretion. Lawyer's will have to sift through the final law.

Ian

Re: Bill C-45 â€" Canadaâ€s Legalization â€" The Drama Revs Up

Golden Horseshoe: Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan, Hamilton

5 stores for 9.245 million people

Barrie, Kingston, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, and Windsor

9 stores for the remaining 4.9 million people

Sounds reasonable to me. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ian

Re: Bill C-45 â€" Canadaâ€s Legalization â€" The Drama Revs Up

ive been wondering about when the crackdown on the seed company's are going to start.
has anybody heard anything?

might be time to start hording genetics

Hey Brewer,

I haven't heard anything about seeds but I'm sure you are right that they will be a target of Prohibition 2.0

Here is a link to Kirk Tousaw's submission to the BC Government regarding provincial regulation of C-45. Be sure to look at the "About Kirk Tousaw" section.

Tousaw Law Corporation's submission to the British Columbia Cannabis Legalization and Regulation Secretariat | Tousaw Law Corporation

Peace. :peace:

Shopify notified all of their seed vendors that they had 48 hours to produce gov't docs that they are certified seed vendors or they would cut their service. Shopify gave them websites with secure pay platforms so a cutoff would kill their site.

Ian

Oh & guess what the page tab header says when a shop is not available . . .

420 - Unavailable Shop

I kid you not. Search Jordan of the Islands . . .

Ian

Hi All,

There is a lawsuit in the US calling for the reclassification of Cannabis from Schedule 1. It appears to have gotten past the first hurdle. I am only noting this for the following thought.

What if the US reschedules cannabis and the legalization walls come down? Wouldn't it be ironic if the US has legalization and we are stuck with Prohibition 2.0?

I'm looking for more on this lawsuit before I post a link.

FP

All I can find is a ruling last week in a New Jersey state court to reclassify. But the judge only issued a recommendation to the state gov't.

Ian

Yep. The province will wholesale it to independent retailers & online stores. Who they will or can be remains to be seen but it already sounds better than Ontario's & NB's plans.

Ian

Proposed Excise Duty Framework

The Government of Canada believes that the total of federal and provincial-territorial taxes on cannabis products should not exceed $1.00 per gram, or 10 per cent of the producer's sale price of a product, and that this tax room should be shared equally between the two orders of government. The proposed federal excise duty rate would be 50 cents per gram of cannabis, or 5 per cent of the producer's sale price of that product. An additional rate would apply for an agreeing province or territory.

The proposed duty would apply to all cannabis products available for legal sale, including fresh and dried cannabis, cannabis oils, as well as seeds and seedlings for home cultivation. The rate will also apply to the sale of medical cannabis.

It is important to note that excise duties are not paid directly by consumers. Rather, they are paid by manufacturers.

Application of Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST)

Cannabis product sales will be taxable under the Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST), as is currently the case for medical cannabis, for example.

Unlike the excise duty, GST/HST is paid directly by consumers at the point of sale.

The following example shows the final price paid by consumers at a combined rate of $1.00 per gram, or 10 per cent of the sale price:

One gram of dried cannabis

Pre-duty price: $8.00
Excise duty (per gram): $1.00
Subtotal: $9.00
GST/HST: $1.17
Total: $10.17

60 ml bottle of cannabis oil

Pre-duty price: $130.00
Excise duty (per cent): $13.00
Subtotal: $143.00
GST/HST: $18.59
Total: $161.59

Ian

The black market will thrive! At even $150 an ounce it is still very profitable, considering at the end of the day it is just a plant...

From an article Ron posted in News: Proposed Medical Marijuana Tax Angers Patients

"Bill Blair, parliamentary secretary to the minister of justice and the Liberal lead on the legal pot program, also said the government's task force report recommended the tax regime on medical and recreational marijuana be the same."

Ian

Alberta . . .

"Plans are underway for legal marijuana to be sold in Alberta through private bricks-and-mortar stores, but online sales will be controlled by the government, Postmedia has learned.

Legislation governing the sale of weed once it becomes legal July 1 will be introduced in the legislature next week." Edmonton Journal

Ian

New Brunswick . . .

The pre-legalization purge begins? RCMP officers have hand delivered 14 day cease & desist letters to dispensaries in Moncton, NB. They threaten arrest of employees and customers if the business does not voluntarily close. CTV News

Ian

Good Afternoon,

Not sure they will arrest customers. From what I have been seeing the cops have been going after staff and owners and leaving the customers alone.

I believe the reason for this is to prevent a medicinal customer from being arrested and taking the fight to the courts. A court ruling saying the dispensaries are legal to supply medicinal cannabis until the new system comes into effect next July would throw a wrench into the Prohibition 2.0 plans. Especially at this point. A court injunction might stay in effect well after July if the courts determine there are not enough retail outlets to keep supplying the medicinal community. Without an arrest it is hard to get the issue before the courts.

That said, this is just my opinion.

Very good point. Assuming they do follow through, the customer's threat might only be a threat. The local Crown Prosecutor would probably not proceed anyway - or they might dismiss any medical users to avoid the issue in the courts. Until Prohibition 2.0 is enacted we are on very unstable ground legally.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom