Birds digging up and killing seedlings

fatbuds420

what can i do to avoid this? it's only a problem for the first week when the seedling is small, after that they don't do it

Grab a roll of chicken wire or hardware cloth from the local home improvement store. Make a cage.

This way airflow and light are still good, but critters can't get to it. Make it big enough to leave on for a couple weeks. If other critters (squirrels, rabbits, etc) are a possibility, roll some of the chicken wire or hardware cloth into a cylinder just big enough to go around the outside.

won't this suffocate the plant?
I have read of a lot of gardeners using that trick in the early spring. But once the temperatures get summer time high it could cook them even if the cap is kept off.

The first thing that occurred to me was the chicken-wire solution that @multiVortex mentions. Chicken wire would keep the birds off. Hardware cloth costs a whole lot more but also works well against small mammals like mice and moles and voles and young juvenile squirrels and rabbit that can fit through the holes in larger mesh chicken wire.

I have read of a lot of gardeners using that trick in the early spring. But once the temperatures get summer time high it could cook them even if the cap is kept off.

The first thing that occurred to me was the chicken-wire solution that @multiVortex mentions. Chicken wire would keep the birds off. Hardware cloth costs a whole lot more but also works well against small mammals like mice and moles and voles and young juvenile squirrels and rabbit that can fit through the holes in larger mesh chicken wire.
wait, why would the bottle help against "cooking them"? :)

Remay cloth is another option- easy to apply and reusable.
I’ve drilled holes in the edges of some old cds and hung them up around the garden using fishing line. They twirl around and flash in the light- it’s worked to keep the robins off my strawberries and currants for the last week or so.

so this is what i did, took a plastic bottle, cut the bottom off, and made many many holes for air, could this work?

Back
Top Bottom