Bokstavsbarns Soil White Widow Grow Journal - 2010

bokstavsbarn

Hey guys. I'm a swedish grower and new to these forums. I had a on going journal at a local forum but since it's shut down I decided to start my log here instead. I appologize if my english suffers at times and will do my very best to spell properly.

Genetics: Seedsman's White Widow (mostly sativa).
Origin: Indian/Brazilian.
Flowering Period: 8 weeks
Date of germination: 3 september
Light: 250w High pressure sodium
Odour Control: Vaportronic. A Carbon filter and a 4th fan will be added after third week of flowering if my limited grow space allows it.
Soil: Local luxurious organic soil mixed 85/15% small leca. PH 5,8-6,0.
Nutrients: During vegetation no nutrients where added until the third week when Orchid Nutrient was introduced at half dozage twice the last 10 days of vegetation.
Bio Bizz Organic Bloom will be added on the next watering(1 week into flowering and after plants have been flushed)

Grow room is a closet with limited ventilation. Passive in take supported by a 22cm computer fan. Out take by a 24cm computer fan venting through the closet next to grow room.
electronic.jpg

To compensate for lack of air and make temperatures more even I leave the door open during the day and support it with a 30cm high speed oscilitating fan ventin in cool air(8 celcius outside). Temperature is high(31-37c) but plants are thriving. Since this is just my third successful grow operation all tips and input from more experienced growers is more then welcome.

Day 4:
It's the 9th of september and my dear seedlings germinated in milk boxes cut off by the half. Aint they cute? I watered them a bit excessive in the beginning and have now slowed down to every third day or so. Before watering I let the water sit in a bucket for 48 hours and then adjust it to a PH of 6,0 by using citric acid. The light is on 18/6 and placed ~45 cm from the little seedlings which I later learned was too far away but I had no problems with stretching anyways.
4_dagar_WW.jpg

Day 14
Plants are looking promising and I think you can already see the bushy tendences characteristic to the genetics of White Widow. I've dreamed about growing the same weed that made my top 10 list and here I am doing it.
wwfjortis2.jpg

After reading grow reports from my strain I now started to get worried about the smell to come. I live in a ground appartment so at least I dont share an entrence with my neighbours but I'm pretty sure mine and my neighbours ventilation are joined. (for a good reason I later came to learn)
The light was moved to approx 25cm from plants after reading that was a better distance for 250w HPS.

Day 30
This is the first day of flowering. I realize 6 weeks vegetation is recommended but the book I'm reading right now(seemorebuds) says it will be fine, so I'm trying it out. The main reason for doing this is that the plants was growing too big for the grow room. I cant even fit bigger size pots for all the plants until I have gotten rid of the males. That's the reason for the different sizes of pots and plants you see here. To keep the canopy even I tied down the ones in larger pots a couple of weeks back.Since I just entered flowering I wanted to give the plants a good flush and get rid of salts and the nutrients left from vegetative. Sure was a pain in the ass to adjust the PH-levels of all the water that was required to flush 8 plants.
flush.jpg

The smell is now intense. In grow reports I read that it was unmistakeable at the 4th week of flowering. I already smell it soon as I turn the key to my front door. A pineappley strong marijuana smell this early in the plants life is a new phenonema to me. Naturaly I got paranoid and ordered a Vaportronic with 2x Neutral scents. I also plan to get a carbon filter from my old grow room to this one mid-way into flowering. Problem is I dont know how to fit it in/connected to the grow room.
33dayssmall.jpg

Day 33
The vaportronic fully neutralized the marijuana smell. I can't really tell if it just masks it or actually filters it away but in the end the result is the same. My house now smells like chewing gum instead of marijuana. Hope it keeps doing it work with the stronger odours about to come. Here is what I gaze at when I open the closet door these days:
fakesog1.jpg

Thoughts/suggestion/criticism is very welcome. My plan now is to wait for the plants to show sex which shoudl happen over the coming week or so, kill the males(should be the sollution to more of lifes problems imo) and then replant the ladies in bigger pots. Here is a tied down White widow with new tops stretching for the top of the plants canopy.
33daysbig.jpg

Tomorrow I start using BioBizz Organic Bloom with every watering. Meanwhile I'm smoking this delicious bubble hasch stamped CBN 2009. Anybody know what CBN might stand for?
hasch.jpg

Sorry for off-topic, take care and please gimme feedback y'all!

Hi Bokstavsbarn,

Looking good. Its going to be fun following your grow. Hope you get some big and sticky buds:morenutes:

I think you should get a carbon filter. If you look at the grow-room setup in here I don't think you will have a problem to install it. Its really good for the hart rate... :bongrip:

BurmeseKush: Thanks for the input, and your definetly right about the heart rate haha. How do you figure I should install it? Right now I'm thinking the only way to get it in there is hanging it straight up and down from a hook in the ceiling to the wardrobe. But even then I'm not sure it would fit, and it wouldnt be at the end of air out take anyway and from what I understand that is the most efficient. How would you install it?

BurmeseKush: Thanks for the input, and your definetly right about the heart rate haha. How do you figure I should install it? Right now I'm thinking the only way to get it in there is hanging it straight up and down from a hook in the ceiling to the wardrobe. But even then I'm not sure it would fit, and it wouldnt be at the end of air out take anyway and from what I understand that is the most efficient. How would you install it?

Im sorry, did not see the lack of space. I read yesterday about a homemade filter. But I am not sure where.. You may find it if you do some search. Im going to look around and see if I can find it also.

What if you hook up the filter and fan outside the box to push the air out of the apartment?

Aye I've read a guide for making a carbon filter yourself somewhere too. But I dont belive it to be a financially viable solution atm. However I do have access to a carbon filter, gonna get the length of it and see where placing is possible. From what I can see now the only way is to hang it upside down in a corner of the closet.

I Will update with pictures again in a couple of days. Started using BioBizz Bloom today at a ratio of 2ml/liter.

Greetings! I'm 1/4 Swedish myself, so maybe we're related way back when :)

CBN is another chemical the plants produce along with THC, or THC degrades into CBN, something like that. Do a search for it, you'll find lots of info.

Good luck with your grow, I'll be watching.

Day 36
Hey again and thanks for stopping in you new guys and hope you come back.
Everything is going well, the top of the canopy in my garden has grown 4-6 cm closer to the light. It's now at 32cm from the tops, when I hold my hand above it will get hot, but still not close to burning me. How close can I go?
(Ludacris - How low can u go)
36big.jpg

The plants left in small pots on the picture below still taunt me: "we are rootbound why wont you transplant!?" Other than that I say they are looking alright, still no signs of sex. I trim my plants, otherwise they would have grown out of my garden. I hope the quality of the picture suffies to show you how I trim. I'm not sure its optimal at all, would really love to get some more light to lower future budsites, all tips are greatly appreciated.
3656.jpg

This weekend I had a breach of security in my garden. After a party at my school I got drunk and retarded and ended up in (my)bed with a girl. It seems I have underestimated the sound of my fans; even with only exhaust pumping air out they are too loud. She heard and asked and I know for sure I'm gonna suffer with paranoia due to this. And so I should.. Who knows who she might talk too? Damn alcohol. How do you guys deal with this, do you put a tie on your social life or find ways around it?
36close.jpg

Take care guys and thanks again for tuning in

Hi,

Do this "vaportronic" effect the end result smoke? Taste, smell?

About the lamp I would just try and lower it, and back it up when they dont like it. Your plant at the last picture look really nice. How often do u water your girls?

BurmeseKush: According to Vaportech their disks do not harm or affect plants or people negative in any form or fashion. I've read some growers reports on Vaportronic and the disks and it's not supposed to affect taste or quality of the bud. If it would affect taste, and the taste was the same as the smell it wouldnt be the end of the world to me either. Although I have to warn you. I felt a bit scammed by the Vaportronic. It's just a fan set up to a timer and a battery. If I could I would buy the cheaper mechanic one(costs like 10euro or so) version and add a fan manually.

My watering varies since I have different sized pots they dry out unevenly. Roughly I'd say every 3-4 days but mainly I put my finger a couple cms into the soil and if there's absolutely no moist I water.

Day 37
Today was watering and cleaning day(also stay home from school day, hard work:) Slight increase in smell, turned up Vaportronic to full strength to counter it. My friend couldnt smell it when he came at least. Close up of one of the smaller plants:
37close.jpg

Put the gang together for a group phot after watering. Notice the different heights, which I right now counter by placing the smallers pots on stacks of books in the grow room.
37group.jpg

I think I see a difference in the top of the plants canopy, the beginning of future top colas is forming. Here's a fuzzy shot from a birds eyes view:
37above.jpg

I appologize for the focus issues on pictures, will try to get a better camera asap. Take care fellas and dont forget to comment!

Hehe I'll do my best. One of the reasons for picking White Widow to grow(and doing it organic) was reading it's common use as medical marijuana for hepatitis patients aswell as an alcohol substitute. An affliction I unfortunaly have had the bad luck(& habits) to run into. I'll get back to that after harvest for other growers who might be interested in the medicinal qualities.

Today when I was turning the pots to even the light spread on the plants I accidently broke the top of the tallest plant. It's hanging down now, looks like I supercropped the top. Hope it recovers, pretty sure it will and because of this accident my gardens canopy is now even once again. Sure is a pain in the ass keeping it even and I read somewhere you're not supposed to tie down plants in the flowering stage. Can anybody verify this?

Day 43
After consulting my calender I realized the dates here are wrong. The plants are actually a couple days older, hence the jump to day 43. Everything is going smooth other than the troubles I have keeping the canopy of my garden even. All tips are appreciated and welcome. Here is a shot of my garden under not so flattering HPS-light. Is the unevenness negligible? If not, how would you guys go about evening it out?
hps12.jpg

Just a quick photo shoot since I needed tips on how to handle the tops. Will update a big shoot of the full plants in good light when I water this weekend. Still no signs of the males and I'm a couple days into the second week of flowering now.
4029.jpg

Day 44
Two males were identified and murdered today. They hang to dry in bathroom now and will be made into haschisch later. This leaves me with a total of 6 plants and finaly some room in my closet for my plants to grow wide too.
4480.jpg

zoom.jpg

44forest.jpg

That's all for now. :peacetwo:

Good work bokstavsbarn. Your girls are looking healthy. Is now the fun have started. About the stretching I would try to switch them around a bit to even it out. And the tie down, Im not sure. I guess its better to tie them before them hit flowering thinking about the stress. But when u are standing there with your lamp as close to the roof as possible and the tall plants are touching the reflector, tie down seems as a good idea.

Have they stretched much after you did go 12/12?

Thanks for your thoughts BurmeseKush. Other than you, the interest seems some what faint here at the moment :p
I still have wiggle room to move the light up so no worries there but I would like the tops to be more even. How tall did your plants end up? I'm not sure how much mine have grown length wise since they went into 12/12 but I dont see any stretch problems. The genetics are supposed to be stocky and bushy growth though.

Back
Top Bottom