Bomb Shelter HO-T5 and LED Perpetual Harvest Shelf Grow

farnorth

Welcome!
Hey everyone! Welcome to the first page, and post of my new grow. I have two successful harvests under my belt, and now Im back for a third go at it. My first two grows went decent, and without major incident beyond some light nute burn and other deficiencies. My previous two grows were both started from seed and done with one (on my first) and two (on my second) 600W metal halide/ HPS grow lights... and too much horror, both were non organic.I will be growing with one other, which is nice because cuts all costs in half.
And a thank you to everyone here at these forums. These forums are by far the most reliable and informational site.
Especially thanks to HeavyHerb for his T5 Journal, Pitviper for the vipersnest journal. Even though its hydro, it definitely occupied countless hours of my time. And the butcher for his awesome grows.

So this brings us to this... For this grow we will be attempting to grow a perpetual harvest, eventually harvesting 4-6 small plants every other week using strictly HO-T5 lights and LED's. (and maybe a couple CFL's thrown into the mix). There will be a sectioned off area for Clones and mothers. Another section for vegetative growth. And the remaining room on the shelves will be for flower.

This room is not finished, and will have improvements being made throughout the first couple months. Addition of more lights, addition of the water tanks, building the pandapoly walls for veg and mother rooms etc etc etc

THE ROOM
We lucked out severely with a underground, small basement room, 4 steps under the house, that comes equipped with electric and intake, and exhaust venting, that leads to the backyard.
Door_from_room.jpg

4 steps down, into a small 2'x2' hallway area.
Down_the_stairs.jpg

into_the_lobby.jpg

Which leads to a 4'x5'x 6 1/2'H lobby area.
lobby_2.jpg

And finally a 7'x7' 6 1/2'H grow space.
door12.jpg

All of the seams in the room have been sealed and taped, and wrapped in tarp, and/or poly.
Here is the hall and lobby floor
hall_floor.jpg

lobby_floor.jpg

THE SHELVES
Because I wanted to try to grow my plants through all stages using T5 and LED, and because we wanted to do SOG with no more veg time than 2 weeks per plant. Growing simply in the room would waste far too much space. ANd since t5 lights can be so close to the plant, and put off little heat, the idea is to absolutely maximize space in my small room.
To do this, we built two rows of shelfs in the room with a path for easy access to my plants going down the center of the U 4ft long by 2ft wide. Each shelf is 36" tall, with a total of 41 sq feet of available surface PER SHELF. By building these shelves we have taken our 7'x7' room with 49 sq ft of floor space, and turned it into 82 sq ft of available grow space between the two shelves.
top_shelf.jpg

bottom_shelf.jpg

EQUIPMENT
For this grow, we will be using mainly 4ft 6 bulb High Output T5 light fixtures. Three per shelf. Each has 3 54W 3500k and 3 54W 6500k bulbs. Each bulb puts out 5k lumens each, for a total of 30k lumens per lamp.
We will using Satco Hygrade High Output bulbs. product number s8143 F54T5/830/HO/ENV And a standard High Output t5 6 bulb fixture. purchased each fixture at a specialty lighting shop in town for $230 dollars with bulbs.
In addition we will have (multiple) dual High output t5 fixtures each with 1 54W 3500k bulb and 1 54W 6000k bulb. Again, each with 10k lumens a fiture. Depending on the height of the plant in the given section of the room, there will range from 2 (4 bulbs total=20k lumens) to 3 (6 bulbs total= 30k lumens). For a total of 50k- 60k Lumens per set, with three total sets per shelf.
alsowe will ad 4 Grow Spot 12w LED lights per shelf only for flowering plants. These little things are pretty neat because they screw into standard light sockets.
light_view.jpg

under_lights1.jpg

surge_protector.jpg

We will be adding one more set of lights. 1 6 bulb fixture and 2 dual fixtures.

for ventilation we will be using a 6 inch 472cfm exhaust fan with a 40lb carbon can filter. Since we do live in the north pole practically and the vents are hooked to outside, and t5's dont put off much heat, there is a passive intake which goes through a fram filter (15.99 at walmart) which happens to fit perfectly, and airtight with the metal intake piping that came in the room. Clean air in, clean air out.

Ducting_exaust.jpg

exaust_fan.jpg

carbon_filter1.jpg

intake_filter.jpg

Currently, there is no C02, but it on the to buy list. Has anyone used any of the CAP climate controls? I would love to hear how they worked for you, and to ask you some questions. :thanks:

We will be adding lights as growth, grows.

NUTRIENTS AND SOIL
For soil, we are testing two different mediums.
The first is 50% Black Gold 50% perlite with hydrotron for drainage and aeration.
The second is 50% FFOF 50% Perlite with organic crutons for drainage and aeration.
For nutrients, we will be using the Roots organics line of Grow, Bloom, and Supplements. With Organicare calcium and magnesium.
grow_nutes.jpg

flower_nutes.jpg

supplament.jpg

SEEDS
We went ahead and started with simple bagseed! Some that i had been collecting for the last couple years from various bags. We will order seeds at some point as well, still deciding on strains. Does anyone have any suggestions when it comes to SOG and fast flower time friendly, strains, and reliable places to purchase such seeds???????:thanks:

:reading420magazine: :nomo:SORRY! Had to get all of that out of the way. Now that brings us to now!!
FEB 22 11pm. Placed 32 bagseed into glass of room temperate water 6.3ph 23 of them were dark healthy seeds. The other 9 were not healthy or mature, light tanish white color.
FEB 23 3pm Placed all 32 (9 were light colored and still floating- 23 sank)
FEB 24 3:30pm Placed 15 seeds with 1/4" sprout into soil and under lights in dome
FEB 24 10:30pm placed 7 more into 5 more pots. 2 pots have 2 plants in each. Which we will separate those 4 plants as soon as the humidity dome is no longer needed.
Feb 24 11pm 22 total bagseed are in soil under the lights for
DAY ONE OF THE BOMB SHELTER T5/LED GROW

Sidenote. In order to combat the cold temperate of northpole winters, our exhaust fan is not running 24hrs. It is on a timer, which right now turns on for 30 minutes every 3 hours for a total of 4 hours a day. Until we add more lights, this is keeping the temp at a low of 74F and a high of 81F.

I might ad more if I've forgotten anything, but i think that coveres al bases...:ciao:

ROOM UPDATE TIME
Been a busy morning today..
Finally made the selections for the strains to grow for this journey and ordered from attitude seed bank.. and they are as follows.

5 Lowlife Automatic AK47 FEMINIZED Autoflowering
5 G13 Labs Purple Haze Feminized
5 Paradise White Berry Feminized
Sativa Seeds Blackberry Feminized
ALSO they threw in 5 other seeds which may or may not be female
UFO#1 Dinafem Seeds California Hash Plant
UFO#2 Dinafem Seeds Powerkush
UFO#3 Dinafem Seeds Moby Dick
UFO#4 Dinafem Seeds Diesel
UFO#5 G13 Labs Skunk #1 Feminized

Also purchased another 6 bulb t5 fixture and will be setting that along with the side lighting up this evening

and still figuring out the best way to approach the watering. IM thinking of using a series of 5 gal buckets, as my plants will be small throughout the entire grow, each 5 gal bucket will have a different mixture of nutrients in them.

Doing some updates to my garden tonight. Going to install the second set of lights i purchased today, as well as build the first of my resi's with custom hose attachment. Thanks to BANDIT and his grow where he constructed a custom resi with hose. IM going to build on that idea.
SO once i get a couple other things done in my garden i will start a DIY step by step of how im going to do mine.

Alright everyone. S heres a big update. Ive been away for a little while, but still doing a little bit of work around the garden...
As for garden equipment.. nothing too much is new.
Ive started working and adding lights to the top level veg room. This room will be used to keep clones and vegging plants. The space will be 7ftL x 2.5 ftW x 3ft T. I will be using one 4 ft 6bulb HOt5for the vegging plants and another couple 2ft t5 for the clones.
9bmcli.jpg

Also i added a new power strip that will be used for all 12/12 timed lights.
27zyjis.jpg

Also i bought 4 300w cfl 2700k bulbs that will be added to the top level veg room where needed...
1581eo.jpg

2e2m5u8.jpg

Also ive started messing with ways to make watering easier... Luckily for me there is a sink with a hose hookup about 15ft away. So hooking ahose to fill the buckets will be a breeze. anyway heres a series of pictures of what I have created so far... Im going to CHANGE the shower head to a kitchen sink spray handle though, so pictures of that will change...
14mqlo8.jpg

200wepd.jpg

2zjlteb.jpg

2pqt0s3.jpg

2q2jtrt.jpg

AND NOW FOR THE PLANTS!! WHOOOO
So today is DAY 14 since they sprouted above the ground. These plants are just the bagseed, so of the 21 that are growing now, who knows how many of them will be female... I plan on vegging these for about a month before switching them to 12/12. At which point ideally I'd like to take 1 clone from each female plant, but we will see how large they are by that point. But that will be a topic for further down the road... Here are some pics of day 14 of 20/4 lighting...
The watering schedule as of now is roughly every 3 days. I gave them One dose of 1/6th strength Buddah Grow Roots organics which was somewhat of a mistake, as there are a couple of the plants which are showing N def already. SO I watered today with a 1/6th strength of High N Sunleaves bat guano. Then pure water will come next..

ALso a couple of the plants leaves are kind of droopy/ curling down. ANY IDEA OF WHY THIS IS? My thinking is a combination of heat and overwatering?

2q3dqug.jpg

35mp0lf.jpg

2061rib.jpg

14izk0k.jpg

THe Double trouble
rlly6h.jpg

63ra1f.jpg

4vjvhi.jpg

6ok4lk.jpg

ALSO The seeds came in that were ordered from Attitude. I placed them in labels shot glasses tonight at 12AM to soak overnight. Tomorrow morning they will go into paper towels
24mvlo4.jpg

3 Sativa Seed Blackberry Fem
5 Lowlife AK47 Auto Fem
5 Paradise Whiteberry Fem
G13 Purple Haze fem
Dinafarm Moby Dick
Dinafarm Diesel
Dinafarm California Hash PLant
Dinafarm Powerkush
G13 Skunk #1
Oh man i hope some of those 5 are female! Whooo
Anyway there it is.

As for equipment that is on the to buy list.
1. CO2 equipment. Thinking of buying the CAP air-4. Has anyone used this or have any opinion on it?
2. 45W LED panels For the lower level.
3. 4 more 6 tube HOt5

Hey everyone! Well ive been very busy in the garden the last couple of days! where to start!
Seeds
On the 10th the seeds that i ordered went into paper towels at 11pm. And today 5/12 around 5pm 5 Whiteberry Fem 3Blackberry Fem 5 Auto AK47 Fem 3 Purple Haze Fem 1 Cali Hash Plant 1 Skunk#1 1 Moby Dick went into 1 gallon grow bags. 2 purple haze 1 Powerkush and 1 Diesel are still in paper towels and will go into bags tomorrow most likely.
I had heard alot about smart pots, The cloth grow bags. And figured id give it a try with a couple of the plants... So 1 seed each of Blackberry, whiteberry, purple haze, and AK47 went into a smart pot. At $3.75 a bag, i want to see if they are really worth all the hype that I have heard before buying more..
25a1czr.jpg

sghhti.jpg
IMG_04485.jpg

IMG_04505.jpg

Bagseed gang 5/12 Day 15 11:30PM
Tallest: Bag #14 at 4.5"
Shortest: Bag #11 at 1.5"
There is some slight burning occuring to a couple of the bottom leaves that are noticeable, but overall its not too bad.
Also I repotted 20 of them into 1 gallon bags which is where they will stay.
Anyway here are some pictures!!
overview_of_all.jpg

empty_pots.jpg

Weird mutant plant with 3 sets of leafs?
3leaf_mutant.jpg

bag_2.jpg

little_sativa.jpg

plant77.jpg

ANother weird mutant plant. Leaf splits into 2 leafs.
mutant_split_leaf_plant.jpg

new_growth3.jpg

sativa23.jpg

split_leaf_plant_2.jpg

artsy_view.jpg

artsy_undershot.jpg

artsy_undershot_21.jpg

:Namaste: Thanks for looking at my journal!

:tokin: Hey everyone! Welcome back for another update!

A little more has happened in the past two days since i updated last... Some good news, and also some BAD news unfortunately. So here we go.

Ill start with all the bad news first...

To start, The temps have been extremely high the last two days or so. Multiple times seeing it above 95F I think with the addition of the second t5 its producing alot of heat. And with the lights being so close to the tops of the plants, there is not much room for fans to get in and move around the air.
My thinking, is i just need to add in intake fan. Ill most likely go with one of those duct booster fans. Problem is, my intake hole is fixed. and fixed at 3 inches. An odd size to find a fan to fit. So i think i will simply go with a 6" and reduce it to 4. or pray that one of the plumbing stores in town has a 6"-3" reducer.
Bagseed
I have noticed a couple of burns turning up here and there, and on a couple of the plants in particular the burns have gotten rather bad. ONLY on the bottom most leaves however I am almost certain this is a nutrient burn. I had watered now twice with 1/6th strength of (the first time) roots organics buddha grow. and (the second time) with high N batguano.
Both of those were a mistake as the plants were still too young.
When i transplanted them 2 days ago, they each received a heavy pure watering of PH 6.45.. They are definitely growing and doing great. but there are still a couple o very very light burns showing up on the bottoms of the plants..
so arises my question Ive been trying to find information about flushing, but mostly what I have found applies to soilless mediums.
How much do i flush with pure water in soil 3x the ammount of the pot sounds extremely excessive for soil wont i drown my plants?
Anyway here are some pics of the burns
IMG_05019.jpg

IMG_04998.jpg

IMG_05008.jpg

:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

Now for the badnews with our ordered strains
Well, for the most part im pleased with my order from Attitude. The shipping was fast, and most of the seeds looked pretty healthy. (granted i realize its not the seed bank that breeds them)
However. Of the 5 G13 Purple Haze plants. only 2 of them ended up cracking while in paper towel.
The rest of the seeds ended up cracking.
Now the problem arises. I had 5 AK47 lowlife autoflower seeds. All 5 of them cracked. But NONE of them sprouted?????:hmmmm: Very interesting.

BUT ENOUGH OF THE BAD NEWS HOW ABOUT SOME GOOD NEWS!:thumb:

Badseed
IMG_04977.jpg

IMG_04957.jpg

IMG_04967.jpg

IMG_04937.jpg

and trinity. a little droopy today. Thinking its the heat. but either way hopefully she?? might perk up when watered next.
IMG_04929.jpg

sorry about the wire in the way!
IMG_04947.jpg

namebrand seeds!
Of the Seeds that I ordered here are the ones that are showing life and their first little bit of green
48 hours after putting them in soil
Whiteberry 1,2,3,4,5 are all sprouted with their first little set of leaves
Blackberry 1,2 have sprouted with their first set of leaves BB3 also has sprouted but is slightly yellow in color any idea why that might be?
Purple Haze 1 is above ground with its first set
purple haze 2, 3 are still breaking free of their shell
Moby Dick, Cali Hash Plant
Diesel and Powerkush took a little longer to sprout. but the PK is above ground, still in its casing, and Diesel got planted today.
IMG_04898.jpg

IMG_04919.jpg

IMG_04908.jpg

:thanks: for stopping by my grow. and ANY help on those issues would be ridiculously apreciated

K...havin a seat..:popcorn: Nice setup...looks very clean..like that. Starting out ahead of the curve.

I see what you mean with the plastic bags and flushing....dude they must drain though right? You've got good soil mix for flushing..

:Namaste:

Ok, I am in the right place now. Lots more to look at now so I'll be up top reading through. Great job!
Thanks for Stopping by dirtinmyears! I subscribed to your grow actually and will be watching anxiously! Love your cfl setup.

And Thank you NCDude as well for having a look!

SO not a huge update for tonight. but ill add to my previous post.
I posted a thread here Asking about nute burn and flushing with soil and after a couple responses, some looking at some more jounrnals and finding a little more info about flushing. I gave the ladies a heavy plain PH watering. They needed it anyway after the hot temps the last couple of days. I gave them 10gallons between 20 plants. A little heavier on the worse of the burn victims. So well see what that does. Maybe give them another heavy plain water in a couple days time an hopefully they will be awesome.

K...havin a seat..:popcorn: Nice setup...looks very clean..like that. Starting out ahead of the curve.

I see what you mean with the plastic bags and flushing....dude they must drain though right? You've got good soil mix for flushing..

:Namaste:

They definitely drain through them. There are maybe 8 holes per bag. The issue is that a few of the holes sit on the bottom of the bags. And the base of the bags lay flat on the shelf, as i dont have my bags elevated above the shelf which by the way will be one of my next projects...
So with that said. I lined the bottom of the growbags with hydrotron and the organic crutons, maybe a half inch thick to raise the soil away form the holes. But still makes me a little nervous..
But thank you for the compliments about the setup! Spent almost as much money to make it that clean as i spent on my equipment so far!

Back
Top Bottom